"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-17-2007, 10:26 AM   #101
Certified Pretend Chef

WOW!

I had no idea such a technology even existed!

These resin models are used as prototypes for three dimensional visualization/evaluation?

Old 10-17-2007, 10:29 AM   #102
Executive Chef

I saw a special on that one day. I think they also use the same technology for 3-D models in the medical field. Say someone has a tumor, they perform a CAT scan (no pun intended), convert the scan into a CAD model and create an actual 3-D model from resin for doctors to examine.

Old 10-17-2007, 10:31 AM   #103
Chief Eating Officer

it is actually pretty old technology. It has been around for about 20 years in various forms. My company is doing things differently than most of the others though so we are really on the cutting edge of the latest in rapid prototyping.

Yes they are used for prototypes exactly how you described Andy. That is not all they are used for though. Sometimes they are used as actual real working pieces as well. An example would be hearing aids. We have hearing aid companies that actually print out the flesh colored piece that the electronics are inserted into.

Here are some of our hearing aids.

Old 10-17-2007, 10:31 AM   #104
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeekinz View Post
I saw a special on that one day. I think they also use the same technology for 3-D models in the medical field. Say someone has a tumor, they perform a CAT scan (no pun intended), convert the scan into a CAD model and create an actual 3-D model from resin for doctors to examine.
That is right.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:38 AM   #105
Head Chef

Totally random but did any one have a crush on a teacher or think they were freakin way good lookin when they were in school. I did. the middle school 7th grade 23 year old blond science teacher. I think she knew it to because i also worked there and i would spend about an hour just talking with her... LOL. man good times. to bad i was in 9th grade. oh well. LOL

EDIT

she was single to. that was my first question i asked her. Maybe i was just to fast for her. lol. I shoulda just slowed down a bit.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:41 AM   #106
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
People do not really understand what I do unless I can show them a physical example, but I work for a company that sells 3D printers.

Our machines actually print out 3D objects. The field is called Rapid Prototyping. It is used for R&D departments among other things.

The technology is really fascinating. You can put a CAD file of just about anything into the computer and a 3D object will print out. Some of our largest customers are in the automotive business. Instead of carving out clay models of concept cars, they will now just print out a model of the car complete with parts that can move.

Here are some examples of things that we have printed.
One of the metal fab shops we use for our prototype housings, faceplates, etc. has an SLA system that does this as well. Itís pretty dang cool and has saved us a lot of time and money on R&D.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:44 AM   #107
Chief Eating Officer

Yes SLA is how the technology started. What my company does is the same thing, but using inkjet technology instead. That allows us to be able to print with a much higher degree of accuracy. SLA is great if accuracy is not of a major concern as it does a great job and is much less expensive than what my company offers.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:34 AM   #108
Head Chef

Quote:
Yes SLA is how the technology started. What my company does is the same thing, but using inkjet technology instead. That allows us to be able to print with a much higher degree of accuracy. SLA is great if accuracy is not of a major concern as it does a great job and is much less expensive than what my company offers.
It does a pretty good job for the applications we use (much better than the SLS systems) which is mostly housings, casings, etc. It definitely beats tooling up an injection mold system to find out you need to make a few adjustments! Hereís a piece they recently did for us. Not too shabby. They were even able to put in the locking hardware and the door hinge. Pretty cool!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ENC_Bot.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	3111
Old 10-17-2007, 11:47 AM   #109
Chief Eating Officer

Cool stuff, for sure!
Old 10-17-2007, 11:54 AM   #110
Head Chef

Quote:
Cool stuff, for sure!
Can your 3D systems do color? The system they use here can't so it all has to be hand painted and stenciled if we want that much detail.