"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-17-2007, 12:10 PM   #111
Chief Eating Officer

Yes ours can do a variety of colors as well as different properties. We just released a new resin that has an unmatched 218% elongation at break.

Ours can also be sanded and painted and all that too if you want.

Old 10-17-2007, 12:22 PM   #112
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Yes ours can do a variety of colors as well as different properties. We just released a new resin that has an unmatched 218% elongation at break.

Now that is cool!! I want one!

Old 10-17-2007, 12:25 PM   #113
Chief Eating Officer

Me too

My daughter is fascinated with "the machine". She loves coming to my office to see it work. It doesn't hurt that every time she is here she walks away with an arm load of toys that we printed out for her.
Old 10-18-2007, 12:22 AM   #114
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatgirl View Post
I started out as an elementary science teacher, K-6, and had all kinds of questions to answer "Mrs. W---do frogs get sunburned?" That was asked by a second grader. Then I progressed to first grade which was one big ego trip---you've seen those bumper stickers that say "if you can read this thank a teacher---well, my kids were thanking me" and giving me love notes, works of arts, and self-written books---their parents were complaining because I was the final authority on everything in their child's eyes. Then I left the teaching field to have my own children. What an eye-opener. How STUPID was some of my advice to parents looking for answers when I was a childless teacher!!!!!! But I've learned a lot since then and been a volunteer teacher ever since my children were in school and now that they are grown up I'm volunteering in a kindergarten-first grade class at an international school in Kazahstan. I love it---kids are the same the world over and as of today was kissed on the top of my head by an American girl and had my hand shaken (his daily ritual) by a local Russian boy whose case I'm usually on since over two years ago. :)

Anyway, I also enjoy reading, walking, tennis, and travelling.
So funny, expat! I knew everything about child rearing before I had kids, too!!!!
Old 10-18-2007, 12:30 AM   #115
Master Chef

it's true, FMom, I didn't get smart until my son had his daughter, either. Hahaha--suddenly I was asked for all kinds of advice :):)
Old 10-18-2007, 01:46 AM   #116
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post

What kind of money does it take to purchase your technology? What do the "printers" cost and how expensive is the media (resin)?

Are they custom made or do you have standard models? How large an object can they print?

Sorry for all the questions but you have a fascinating job and technology.
Old 10-18-2007, 07:57 AM   #117
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
What kind of money does it take to purchase your technology? What do the "printers" cost and how expensive is the media (resin)?

Are they custom made or do you have standard models? How large an object can they print?

Sorry for all the questions but you have a fascinating job and technology.
Well the printers are not custom made. We have a series of different models. some are designed for smaller shops and others for large operations. I can't really get into the pricing of the printers as my boss would have my head if I ever let something like that out, but i can say that they are not cheap. It is a large investment which required a down payment.

The resin prices vary depending on the particular resin you want. we have a number of different kinds. It also depends on which printer you have because so take the small resin cartridges and others take the large. On the low end you are looking at about $500 or so for some resin and on the high end around $1,000.

I do not recall the exact dimensions, but I think the largest object we print is probably somewhere around 2 feet by 2 feet. Pieces can be glued or fastened together though, so if you design your part right then it can be as large as you want.
Old 10-18-2007, 07:59 AM   #118
Cook

I'm late to the game, but I'm a graphic designer for a large corporation in Canada.

For fun I play lacrosse and volleyball, canoe and camp.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:11 AM   #119
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00nwater View Post
I'm late to the game, but I'm a graphic designer for a large corporation in Canada.

For fun I play lacrosse and volleyball, canoe and camp.
WOOT im a photoshop lova to. but i bet you use more than just photoshop.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:18 AM   #120
Cook

I use Illustrator more often that Photoshop for work, but both are a big part of my everyday work. I don't think I could live without either at home. It's so fun to lean new stuff in the programs. Especially Photoshop because there are so many things you can do with that program. I don't think i will ever know how to do everything with it.