"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-19-2007, 05:51 PM   #21
Head Chef
 
LT72884's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: UTAH, BABY
Posts: 1,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by keltin View Post
POTS (Plain Old Telephone Service....seriously, thatís what it stands for!) is old school these days, but we do still sell POTS units. We do lots of packet switched devices. My group's main focus lately is the back-hauling and grooming wireless networks.

Cell towers receive and transmit the RF signal and need to get and receive data back to/from the network for routing. We back-haul all of that data with T1 (copper), T3, optical links, and giga-bit Ethernet links. When I hired in, we were doing a lot of DDS stuff, but have since moved on to T1/T3 multiplexers, cross connect devices, etc, that can serve the wireless divisions.
OMG thats so cool. i just got done with my CCNA stuff. i have never done computer networking prior to this so im all new to it. do you know what routing protocol they use for the towers. yeah i studied POTS. its all circut switched and packet switched stuff now, or at lest i think it is.
__________________

__________________
*A substitute for human interaction* - I really need to find a girl whos name doesnt end with .JPG
http://grillofmydreams.bluedisk.org
LT72884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 05:53 PM   #22
Head Chef
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: VA
Posts: 1,218
high end remodeling ... when i am not working ..
i am cooking , playing with the kids , drinking beer , and the never ending
job of working on my own house ..
__________________

love2"Q" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 05:56 PM   #23
Head Chef
 
Renee Attili's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: N. Ft. Myers, Fl
Posts: 1,048
I work at a Grill Store that specializes in Custom Outdoor Kitchens.
For fun, I ride, train and show horses. In Dressage, Hunters/Jumpers, and Eventing.
I also love to cook on my Big Green Egg. Anything and everything.
I, like IronChef, enjoy kicking back with a cold beer or a good glass of wine. (or 10 lol)
__________________
Life is short.So eat great food!
Renee Attili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 06:00 PM   #24
Head Chef
 
LT72884's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: UTAH, BABY
Posts: 1,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee Attili View Post
I work at a Grill Store that specializes in Custom Outdoor Kitchens.
For fun, I ride, train and show horses. In Dressage, Hunters/Jumpers, and Eventing.
I also love to cook on my Big Green Egg. Anything and everything.
I, like IronChef, enjoy kicking back with a cold beer or a good glass of wine. (or 10 lol)
my mom loves you already. she used to do the same thing. i tired dressage once and its fun. HARD but fun. Jumping was ok, tell you fall off and wake up somewhere else
__________________
*A substitute for human interaction* - I really need to find a girl whos name doesnt end with .JPG
http://grillofmydreams.bluedisk.org
LT72884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 06:03 PM   #25
Cook
 
strawberry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Sunny Florida
Posts: 98
I work in the office of a plumbing company part time. I am also a massage therapist for the rest of the time.

For play I love to garden - actually exploring any and all forms of plants. I also dabble in home decor (my own) and bake.
strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 06:04 PM   #26
Head Chef
 
keltin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Down South in Alabama
Posts: 2,285
Send a message via AIM to keltin
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT72884 View Post
OMG thats so cool. i just got done with my CCNA stuff. i have never done computer networking prior to this so im all new to it. do you know what routing protocol they use for the towers. yeah i studied POTS. its all circut switched and packet switched stuff now, or at lest i think it is.
The routing protocol is going to depend on the backhaul device. Those towers have dishes, usually three, that receive and transmit the RF. It is then converted by the dish base unit to a digital bit stream and from there is fed to a back-haul device. The back-haul device will determine the protocol.

Most of the time, itís proprietary. When it is over an Ethernet link, it is loosely based on established TCIP with added proprietary security (often based on SSH), packetizing techniques, etc. The stuff my group does is for backhauling the digital data stream, so I donít know much about the particulars of the actual RF dishes and what they are doing.....I just know we have to interface with them!
keltin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 10:56 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Katie H's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Posts: 15,904
For many years, and currently, I run and own an interior decorating business of which I've been "the" decorator. I specialize in window treatment and design. Also am a syndicated "Martha Stewart-type" newspaper columnist, which is the most fun of all.

For fun...that's a difficult question. I think that would have to be cooking/baking/menu planning. Love it all. Also, I'm a pretty accomplished knitter and crocheter. Our daughter has been bitten by the knitting bug and it's wonderful having conversations with her. But I digress.

I also love to read. Books, books, books. When Buck and I go to the great beyond, our children will be plagued with what to do with all the books and attendant reading material in our house. That'll be their problem. Payback for some of their teenaged shenanigans.

I have so many interests, both as a career, and as enjoyment, it's difficult for me to express. I think the reason is that I have an almost insatiable sense of curiosity that "everything" is either interesting or fun.
__________________
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 11:38 PM   #28
Head Chef
 
phinz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: The Surface of the Sun
Posts: 1,901
I'm the background investigations specialist for a very large film exhibition company.

For my hobbies, I read, do mosaics, draw (more like doodle), make vinyl graphics, work on Miatas and I'm also an avid Star Wars collector and costumer. Here's a picture of me in my latest costume, unveiled at Dragon*Con this year.

__________________
It's good for the soul when there's not a soul in sight.

Trader Scott's Tiki Bar & Lounge
phinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 11:47 PM   #29
Senior Cook
 
healthyfoodie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 140
great thread lt :)

by day I'm an environmental engineer, specializing in water treatment. after my day job, I coach highschool girls' volleyball. I also practice for and play volleyball tournaments on a competitive women's team. In my spare time I enjoy cooking, eating, wine tasting and collecting, blogging about food, pilates, going to yankees games, gardening, and more...
__________________
cheers!

healthyfoodie
healthyfoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 05:24 AM   #30
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: USA,Florida
Posts: 2,417
I'm retired. Love to cook and entertain, long walks, crosswords, reading, travel, movies. I could go on and on.
__________________
I can resist anything, but temptation. Oscar Wilde
lyndalou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 05:40 AM   #31
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Berlin, Germany
Posts: 196
I work at a think tank in Berlin specializing in public policy. Work primarily on the topic of energy security, but also consult the United Nations on partnerships between the UN and the private sector.

For fun I like to cook and do outdoorsy things like long-distance hikes, camping, climbing, biking (and outdoor cooking ;)). This summer I did a 9 day hike from Southern Germany over the Alps into Northern Italy and loved every minute of it. Looking to go to the US this Summer and do a similar hike through the Rockies. Any suggestions?

To join the more technical conversation going on in this thread, I also like to tinker with linux, though by no means very deeply. I used to run Slackware about 10 years ago while in High School and now got back into it (xubuntu) because my laptop is 7 years old and sick of Windows slowing everything down.
flukx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 07:27 AM   #32
Executive Chef
 
redkitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 3,200
I work part-time in HR Recruitment. I owned my own recruitment agency back in Silicon Valley for ten years and sold it before moving to the UK.

For fun...I love to travel, creating new vegetarian recipes, yoga, working out, dancing, exploring Bristol and daydreaming.
__________________
Accentuate the positives, medicate the negatives ~ Amy Sedaris
redkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 08:46 AM   #33
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bucharest, Romania
Posts: 38
Send a message via Yahoo to len_p
So if you are talking linux here it is. I work as a software architect and consultant for web and unix related projects. I like to cook, manage my own website which I update with recipes and stories for fun and cycle as much as possible. BTW this week is the mobility week.
len_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 09:13 AM   #34
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 4,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by phinz View Post
I'm the background investigations specialist for a very large film exhibition company.

For my hobbies, I read, do mosaics, draw (more like doodle), make vinyl graphics, work on Miatas and I'm also an avid Star Wars collector and costumer. Here's a picture of me in my latest costume, unveiled at Dragon*Con this year.
You drive around in your Miata dressed like that?
Jeekinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 09:20 AM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 23,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by keltin View Post
POTS (Plain Old Telephone Service....seriously, thatís what it stands for!) is old school these days, but we do still sell POTS units. We do lots of packet switched devices. My group's main focus lately is the back-hauling and grooming wireless networks.

Cell towers receive and transmit the RF signal and need to get and receive data back to/from the network for routing. We back-haul all of that data with T1 (copper), T3, optical links, and giga-bit Ethernet links. When I hired in, we were doing a lot of DDS stuff, but have since moved on to T1/T3 multiplexers, cross connect devices, etc, that can serve the wireless divisions.
It's been a long time since my Novell networking training, but I think I understood most of that
__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 09:35 AM   #36
Head Chef
 
LT72884's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: UTAH, BABY
Posts: 1,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyfoodie View Post
great thread lt :)

by day I'm an environmental engineer, specializing in water treatment. after my day job, I coach highschool girls' volleyball. I also practice for and play volleyball tournaments on a competitive women's team. In my spare time I enjoy cooking, eating, wine tasting and collecting, blogging about food, pilates, going to yankees games, gardening, and more...
yankees games, nice. my grandpa played in 3 world series back in 49-52. he was there pitcher. i have a baseball bat with joe D's signature on it. i have two of them actually. i have no idea what to do with them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010001.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	3019  
__________________
*A substitute for human interaction* - I really need to find a girl whos name doesnt end with .JPG
http://grillofmydreams.bluedisk.org
LT72884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 09:42 AM   #37
Head Chef
 
LT72884's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: UTAH, BABY
Posts: 1,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by flukx View Post
I work at a think tank in Berlin specializing in public policy. Work primarily on the topic of energy security, but also consult the United Nations on partnerships between the UN and the private sector.

For fun I like to cook and do outdoorsy things like long-distance hikes, camping, climbing, biking (and outdoor cooking ;)). This summer I did a 9 day hike from Southern Germany over the Alps into Northern Italy and loved every minute of it. Looking to go to the US this Summer and do a similar hike through the Rockies. Any suggestions?

To join the more technical conversation going on in this thread, I also like to tinker with linux, though by no means very deeply. I used to run Slackware about 10 years ago while in High School and now got back into it (xubuntu) because my laptop is 7 years old and sick of Windows slowing everything down.
Utah has some world class hiking. Im not sure about 9 day hikes but we have some dang good hikes. Zions canyon and bryce canyon are world famous for hikes and rock climbing. ill post a pic of zions canyon. google hiking in utah.. Linux rocks dude. i love it. i so wish there was a cyber security professional here so i could talk with some. i have so many questions regarding security and how to do it all.
Zion National Park - Zion Narrows (U.S. National Park Service)
Attached Images
 
__________________
*A substitute for human interaction* - I really need to find a girl whos name doesnt end with .JPG
http://grillofmydreams.bluedisk.org
LT72884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 09:51 AM   #38
Head Chef
 
LT72884's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: UTAH, BABY
Posts: 1,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by len_p View Post
So if you are talking linux here it is. I work as a software architect and consultant for web and unix related projects. I like to cook, manage my own website which I update with recipes and stories for fun and cycle as much as possible. BTW this week is the mobility week.
SWEET, computers are so cool. I so wish i could meet a cyber security professional in person or something. i have so many questions regarding my major. The internet is so limited on what it tells you to do. so are books. i bought this one book about war driving and it said on the cover it will teach you how to break a network so you can protect it. this is how it said to break it. use wireshark and sniff for MAC and KEY packets across the network. see it tells you what to use but does not explain what they mean or how to do it. lol.
__________________
*A substitute for human interaction* - I really need to find a girl whos name doesnt end with .JPG
http://grillofmydreams.bluedisk.org
LT72884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 10:00 AM   #39
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Berlin, Germany
Posts: 196
A friend of mine works as a security professional and he war drives to get new business. Basically drives by, harvests sensitive information, walks through the front door and says "look, it took me less than 10 minutes to steal your customer information. I will fix it for you". While not particularly legal, businesses dont tend to take him to court simply because that would expose them to negative publicity. You would be absolutely amazed at how easy it is for someone with 100 dollars worth of equipment and a little bit of knowledge to steal credit card numbers, for example. He compares what he does to basically listening to cashiers shout out personal identity information (credit card numbers, social security numbers, etc) across the neighborhood with a megaphone.
flukx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 10:06 AM   #40
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Berlin, Germany
Posts: 196
Oh, and thanks for the hiking tip LT. I will definitely look into it.
__________________

flukx is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
×