What people do for work and play

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's more fun driving by looking through the vent window than it could ever be looking through the windshield. ;)
LOL very true. cept i dont know how well this car can drift. its 3100 pounds of steel. My cousin painted the car. if you want to see more of his work go to http://www.killerpaint.com/gallery.html. thats his and his apprentices website.

Attachments

• front.BMP
    398.8 KB · Views: 49
I work in my family's restaurant and for fun I like to watch Star Trek, read, and play with software like Celestia. :online2lo

LOL very true. cept i dont know how well this car can drift. its 3100 pounds of steel. My cousin painted the car. if you want to see more of his work go to http://www.killerpaint.com/gallery.html. thats his and his apprentices website.

I've admired Mike's work for years. It's too bad that so many others are ripping off his style these days, though nobody does it as well as he can.

high school teacher (humanities) and private chef. I'm good for about 3 dinner events (or a Sunday brunch) a month during the school year, and 8 a month during vacation months.

I've admired Mike's work for years. It's too bad that so many others are ripping off his style these days, though nobody does it as well as he can.
yeah he is very good. when he came down to my cousins shop here in salt lake i had the opportunity to meet him. My cousin was his teacher. i meet him back in 1997 at the brush bash at my cousins shop. It was fun.

high school teacher (humanities) and private chef. I'm good for about 3 dinner events (or a Sunday brunch) a month during the school year, and 8 a month during vacation months.
What class do you teach for high school. OH DUH never mind saw in the post. thats cool that your a private chef. is it for company party's or people at home

I used to be a legal secretary for two divorce lawyers. Now THAT was a fascinating job! But also incredibly stressful. Not only is it litigation, with all the deadlines of court and judges, but you also have that incredible emotional element. Especially when there are young children involved. There was a lot of negative energy in that place. I really enjoyed the people I worked with, and am still in close contact with them.

But now thanks to my wonderful and very understanding husband, I am a kept woman. Ok, more like semi-retired. I still keep my skills up, but pray I never have to go back full time.

I really enjoy reading, movies, playing Mah Jong (NMJL rules) with friends, cooking (of course) and music. I totally agree with Katie's post about being intensely curious about everything! I love learning new things just for the sake of learning.

It's a great big beautiful world out there people! Learn as much as you can about it.

I started out as an elementary science teacher, K-6, and had all kinds of questions to answer "Mrs. W---do frogs get sunburned?" That was asked by a second grader. Then I progressed to first grade which was one big ego trip---you've seen those bumper stickers that say "if you can read this thank a teacher---well, my kids were thanking me" and giving me love notes, works of arts, and self-written books---their parents were complaining because I was the final authority on everything in their child's eyes. Then I left the teaching field to have my own children. What an eye-opener. How STUPID was some of my advice to parents looking for answers when I was a childless teacher!!!!!! But I've learned a lot since then and been a volunteer teacher ever since my children were in school and now that they are grown up I'm volunteering in a kindergarten-first grade class at an international school in Kazahstan. I love it---kids are the same the world over and as of today was kissed on the top of my head by an American girl and had my hand shaken (his daily ritual) by a local Russian boy whose case I'm usually on since over two years ago. :)

Anyway, I also enjoy reading, walking, tennis, and travelling.

I started out as an elementary science teacher, K-6, and had all kinds of questions to answer "Mrs. W---do frogs get sunburned?" That was asked by a second grader. Then I progressed to first grade which was one big ego trip---you've seen those bumper stickers that say "if you can read this thank a teacher---well, my kids were thanking me" and giving me love notes, works of arts, and self-written books---their parents were complaining because I was the final authority on everything in their child's eyes. Then I left the teaching field to have my own children. What an eye-opener. How STUPID was some of my advice to parents looking for answers when I was a childless teacher!!!!!! But I've learned a lot since then and been a volunteer teacher ever since my children were in school and now that they are grown up I'm volunteering in a kindergarten-first grade class at an international school in Kazahstan. I love it---kids are the same the world over and as of today was kissed on the top of my head by an American girl and had my hand shaken (his daily ritual) by a local Russian boy whose case I'm usually on since over two years ago. :)

Anyway, I also enjoy reading, walking, tennis, and travelling.

Wow, thats cool. I remember my first grade teacher. I just saw her last week at the store. She actually remembered me to. Is it cold in Kazakhstan.

Tennis looks to hard man. i do like to read also.

People do not really understand what I do unless I can show them a physical example, but I work for a company that sells 3D printers.

Our machines actually print out 3D objects. The field is called Rapid Prototyping. It is used for R&D departments among other things.

The technology is really fascinating. You can put a CAD file of just about anything into the computer and a 3D object will print out. Some of our largest customers are in the automotive business. Instead of carving out clay models of concept cars, they will now just print out a model of the car complete with parts that can move.

Here are some examples of things that we have printed.

Last edited:
i just googled Rapid Prototyping and the images it shows are actual cut out objects. so does the printer print them on paper.

EDIT

GB's pics were not up yet. lol Now i know what it does.

Last edited:
I'm a substitute teacher at the elemntary school my daughter goes to. As for play, I like to fish, ride 4-wheelers, spend time at our place at the lake, read, & cook.

i just googled Rapid Prototyping and the images it shows are actual cut out objects. so does the printer print them on paper.

Nope they are not printed out on paper. They are printed using resin. A UV light passed over the resin and cures it right away. You actually print out the part you want. When the printer is done you have the actual solid 3D piece ready to go. You could print out a tape dispenser, for example, and once the printer was done you could just pull out the tape dispenser and pop your tape into it and start using it without doing anything else.

Believe it or not our printers use ink jet technology. It actually is a printer. What happens it the print head moves across just like your home printer does. It strays out very small drops of resin. A UV light passed along with the print head and cures the resin. The platform that the resin is being sprayed onto then drops about 13 microns and the printer makes another pass. It keeps doing this until the model is build.

Back
Top Bottom