"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-20-2007, 10:10 AM   #41
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to college_cook
Line cook by profession, and apparently student is something that qualifies as "work" too. I do both of them full-time, though this fall is my last semester. I'll be graduating with my BS in Business Informatics and a minor in Entrepreneurship.

So around December/January I'll start job hunting back home, in the Chicago area. Gotta say, I won't be sad when I leave Bloomington. There's some nice things about it I suppose, but at the end of the day, it's a college town, and it always will be. Anyways, I'll probably end up in clinical informatics; I'm planning on getting EPIC certified and I'll probably go to work for University of Chicago Hospital. They're still in the beginning stages of a rebuild of their entire Hospital's IT infrastructure and also their OS, everything really from the ground up. It's supposed to be a 10 year project or so, so I figure it will keep me busy for awhile.

If I don't end up at UofC, I'll probably do consulting, blech! I'll be getting married next August, and would rather not spend most of my week away from home on business, but consulting will definitely pay the bills, enough so that I could probably quit after 5 or 6 years and open a restaurant of my own in Chicago. If that dream is ever realized, you'll all be invited, and you'll all be VIPs!

Old 09-20-2007, 10:14 AM   #42
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to college_cook
Quote:
Originally Posted by flukx View Post
A friend of mine works as a security professional and he war drives to get new business. Basically drives by, harvests sensitive information, walks through the front door and says "look, it took me less than 10 minutes to steal your customer information. I will fix it for you". While not particularly legal, businesses dont tend to take him to court simply because that would expose them to negative publicity. You would be absolutely amazed at how easy it is for someone with 100 dollars worth of equipment and a little bit of knowledge to steal credit card numbers, for example. He compares what he does to basically listening to cashiers shout out personal identity information (credit card numbers, social security numbers, etc) across the neighborhood with a megaphone.

I did this for a school project. Part of my degree is to help a local business with IT problems, like help them fix a broken or outdated system, over the course of a year. While this wasn't my project, a friend of mine did this, and for his project designed his own small side-business and did this to find new clients. Some get really upset about it, but I think that's just because they had this illusion of being safe, and now the person standing in front of them has shattered it, and is offering to fix it all for cash. Most folks were really surprised though, that 2 guys with a car and a laptop could obtain the sorts of information we did, and were very much interested in securing their wireless networks.

Old 09-20-2007, 10:36 AM   #43
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT72884 View Post
Jumping was ok, tell you fall off and wake up somewhere else
I like to think of it as an Adventure! lol
Old 09-20-2007, 08:08 PM   #44
Master Chef

I am a manager of a self storage and uhaul.
To play, me and dh go out in the boat and fish.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:02 PM   #45
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeekinz View Post
You drive around in your Miata dressed like that?
Nah. Here's my driving armor.

Trader Scott's Tiki Bar & Lounge
phinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 07:33 AM   #46
Master Chef

We were able to retire early. For fun: read, cook, eat, walk, do beadwork, a LOT of socializing, take road trips, a little community service. It sounds like a quiet life, but if you were here during the next four months you wouldn't say so!
Old 09-21-2007, 09:37 AM   #47
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee Attili View Post
I like to think of it as an Adventure! lol
LOL yeah you could say that. man i miss my horse something fierce. she died when i was young from some cancer stuff. my mom said it was the worst day of her life ever. she still cries and its been 10 years. Well guys i might not be able to reply for a while, i have a date tonight with a 2 year old. lol its my neighbors daughter and they are out of town and the she wants me to watch a movie with her tonight. she has two other siblings so ill be watching it with them. Maybe will watch cars and have pop corn. so i wont be home atall tonight to reply....
Old 09-21-2007, 10:22 AM   #48
Chef Extraordinaire

lt, i'm a broadcast engineer for cbs.

i help install, maintain and upgrade all of the technical doohickeys that make a television network run. from the "puttin' on a show" part, to the beaming it into your televisions part.
most people in the engineering world specialize in one thing, but we're sort of general engineers. i touch on a lot of fields, from networking and i.t., to data storage, video streaming, remote routed controls, sat comm., rf, commercial/sports/news production, to graphics and dvfx, etc., etc..

the best way i can describe it is i'm like scotty on the enterprise. the ship has been built, but i have to keep working on it to keep 'er flying.

mostly, it's just diverting power from the deflector array and life support.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 11:00 AM   #49
Head Chef

CBS eh, thats cool. My uncle is a engineer for radio. he builds stations and antennas for a large network..
Old 09-21-2007, 11:43 AM   #50
Chef Extraordinaire

yup, that kind of stuff.

but with pictures.

edited to add: i don't do anything for fun anymore. just work.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote