"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-21-2007, 11:47 AM   #51
Head Chef

mmmmmm pictures

Old 09-21-2007, 02:03 PM   #52
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Katie, I want your job. Four year elementary teacher here taking a 9 month break and loving every minute of it.

Old 09-21-2007, 02:10 PM   #53
Head Chef

ahh, youth. i remember my elementary school
Old 09-21-2007, 05:56 PM   #54
Executive Chef

I have four jobs:
A pre school teacher for chdn 3 - 5yrs old
Teach cooking to secondary school students aged 10 - 14 yrs (voluntary)
Adminster my wifes company (she is an IT contractor and would understand what K was talking about.
Go around pushing estate agents leaflets through letterboxes.

For fun I read, cook, garden and enjoy my family.

Ray
Old 09-21-2007, 06:13 PM   #55
DC's Angel

I'm semi-retired. My first career was writing/directing/producing films for a Navy research and development laboratory. It was a neat job in which I got to travel all over the country, ride ships at sea, and experience the power of a sixteen inch naval gun firing.

Now along with Katie E I run Evergreeen, a decorating/antiques/furniture restoration store. The furniture part is my end of the business. Antiques restoration is the biggest part of my work.

Julie helps me in the shop.

I write a syndicated column entitled "Guy Stuff by Buck" in which I explore issues of vital interest such as which sock goes on which foot and what it's like inside an anthill. If you're interested shoot me a PM and I'll send you a column or two.

For recreation I spend my time showering Katie with lavish gifts, making sure her every desire is satisfied and cleaning out the litter box (we have eight indoor cats at home).
Old 09-22-2007, 08:19 AM   #56
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by college_cook View Post
Line cook by profession, and apparently student is something that qualifies as "work" too. I do both of them full-time, though this fall is my last semester. I'll be graduating with my BS in Business Informatics and a minor in Entrepreneurship.

So around December/January I'll start job hunting back home, in the Chicago area. Gotta say, I won't be sad when I leave Bloomington. There's some nice things about it I suppose, but at the end of the day, it's a college town, and it always will be. Anyways, I'll probably end up in clinical informatics; I'm planning on getting EPIC certified and I'll probably go to work for University of Chicago Hospital. They're still in the beginning stages of a rebuild of their entire Hospital's IT infrastructure and also their OS, everything really from the ground up. It's supposed to be a 10 year project or so, so I figure it will keep me busy for awhile.

If I don't end up at UofC, I'll probably do consulting, blech! I'll be getting married next August, and would rather not spend most of my week away from home on business, but consulting will definitely pay the bills, enough so that I could probably quit after 5 or 6 years and open a restaurant of my own in Chicago. If that dream is ever realized, you'll all be invited, and you'll all be VIPs!
Why don't you just cook?
Old 09-22-2007, 08:52 AM   #57
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck View Post
My first career was writing/directing/producing films for a Navy research and development laboratory.
are you kidding me. you're the guy who came up with, "the navy: it's not just a job, it's $98.45 a week!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck View Post
The furniture part is my end of the business.
you fix a lot of chairs, apparently...bah dum dum. crash!

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 03:36 PM   #58
DC's Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
are you kidding me. you're the guy who came up with, "the navy: it's not just a job, it's $98.45 a week!"

When did they raise the pay rate?

you fix a lot of chairs, apparently...bah dum dum. crash!
Yes, I'm the chairman of the bored.
Old 09-23-2007, 09:59 AM   #59
Cook

Hi There,

Funny that you should ask!

I've spent the past 20 years working as an actuary. An actuary is a number cruncher who consults on employee benefits, insurance, that kind of stuff. It's a taxing and demanding job, to be honest.

Well, two weeks ago, things got really bad and I walked. No one even said goodbye. 20 years in the same place and no goodbye.

Anyway, I'm spending time now catching up on lfe and all the things I haven't had time to do for the last 20 years because all I did was work. I'm taking walks in the morning, making dinner, reading, trying to not feel stupid for spending the last 20 years believing that a couple of people were my dear friends and being so very wrong.

Recovering...

-Mary
Old 09-23-2007, 10:25 AM   #60
Sous Chef

I want Katie's job too! Somehow I suspect that a lot of us are in the same boat.

Anyhoo, I have my own cooking biz. Love to plan meals and parties for other people. I also love to garden, decorate my home, read my cookbooks, anything outdoorsy. Hey, I'm just getting started hear . . .