What people do for work and play

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
WOW!

I had no idea such a technology even existed!

These resin models are used as prototypes for three dimensional visualization/evaluation?

I saw a special on that one day. I think they also use the same technology for 3-D models in the medical field. Say someone has a tumor, they perform a CAT scan (no pun intended), convert the scan into a CAD model and create an actual 3-D model from resin for doctors to examine.

it is actually pretty old technology. It has been around for about 20 years in various forms. My company is doing things differently than most of the others though so we are really on the cutting edge of the latest in rapid prototyping.

Yes they are used for prototypes exactly how you described Andy. That is not all they are used for though. Sometimes they are used as actual real working pieces as well. An example would be hearing aids. We have hearing aid companies that actually print out the flesh colored piece that the electronics are inserted into.

Here are some of our hearing aids.

Last edited:
I saw a special on that one day. I think they also use the same technology for 3-D models in the medical field. Say someone has a tumor, they perform a CAT scan (no pun intended), convert the scan into a CAD model and create an actual 3-D model from resin for doctors to examine.
That is right.

Totally random but did any one have a crush on a teacher or think they were freakin way good lookin when they were in school. I did. the middle school 7th grade 23 year old blond science teacher. I think she knew it to because i also worked there and i would spend about an hour just talking with her... LOL. man good times. to bad i was in 9th grade. oh well. LOL

EDIT

she was single to. that was my first question i asked her. Maybe i was just to fast for her. lol. I shoulda just slowed down a bit.

Last edited:
People do not really understand what I do unless I can show them a physical example, but I work for a company that sells 3D printers.

Our machines actually print out 3D objects. The field is called Rapid Prototyping. It is used for R&D departments among other things.

The technology is really fascinating. You can put a CAD file of just about anything into the computer and a 3D object will print out. Some of our largest customers are in the automotive business. Instead of carving out clay models of concept cars, they will now just print out a model of the car complete with parts that can move.

Here are some examples of things that we have printed.

One of the metal fab shops we use for our prototype housings, faceplates, etc. has an SLA system that does this as well. It’s pretty dang cool and has saved us a lot of time and money on R&D.

Yes SLA is how the technology started. What my company does is the same thing, but using inkjet technology instead. That allows us to be able to print with a much higher degree of accuracy. SLA is great if accuracy is not of a major concern as it does a great job and is much less expensive than what my company offers.

Yes SLA is how the technology started. What my company does is the same thing, but using inkjet technology instead. That allows us to be able to print with a much higher degree of accuracy. SLA is great if accuracy is not of a major concern as it does a great job and is much less expensive than what my company offers.

It does a pretty good job for the applications we use (much better than the SLS systems) which is mostly housings, casings, etc. It definitely beats tooling up an injection mold system to find out you need to make a few adjustments! Here’s a piece they recently did for us. Not too shabby. They were even able to put in the locking hardware and the door hinge. Pretty cool!

ENC_Bot.jpg

Yes ours can do a variety of colors as well as different properties. We just released a new resin that has an unmatched 218% elongation at break.

Ours can also be sanded and painted and all that too if you want.

Yes ours can do a variety of colors as well as different properties. We just released a new resin that has an unmatched 218% elongation at break.

Now that is cool!! I want one! :LOL:

Me too :LOL:

My daughter is fascinated with "the machine". She loves coming to my office to see it work. It doesn't hurt that every time she is here she walks away with an arm load of toys that we printed out for her.

I started out as an elementary science teacher, K-6, and had all kinds of questions to answer "Mrs. W---do frogs get sunburned?" That was asked by a second grader. Then I progressed to first grade which was one big ego trip---you've seen those bumper stickers that say "if you can read this thank a teacher---well, my kids were thanking me" and giving me love notes, works of arts, and self-written books---their parents were complaining because I was the final authority on everything in their child's eyes. Then I left the teaching field to have my own children. What an eye-opener. How STUPID was some of my advice to parents looking for answers when I was a childless teacher!!!!!! But I've learned a lot since then and been a volunteer teacher ever since my children were in school and now that they are grown up I'm volunteering in a kindergarten-first grade class at an international school in Kazahstan. I love it---kids are the same the world over and as of today was kissed on the top of my head by an American girl and had my hand shaken (his daily ritual) by a local Russian boy whose case I'm usually on since over two years ago. :)

Anyway, I also enjoy reading, walking, tennis, and travelling.
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: So funny, expat! I knew everything about child rearing before I had kids, too!!!!

What kind of money does it take to purchase your technology? What do the "printers" cost and how expensive is the media (resin)?

Are they custom made or do you have standard models? How large an object can they print?

Sorry for all the questions but you have a fascinating job and technology.

What kind of money does it take to purchase your technology? What do the "printers" cost and how expensive is the media (resin)?

Are they custom made or do you have standard models? How large an object can they print?

Sorry for all the questions but you have a fascinating job and technology.
Well the printers are not custom made. We have a series of different models. some are designed for smaller shops and others for large operations. I can't really get into the pricing of the printers as my boss would have my head if I ever let something like that out, but i can say that they are not cheap. It is a large investment which required a down payment.

The resin prices vary depending on the particular resin you want. we have a number of different kinds. It also depends on which printer you have because so take the small resin cartridges and others take the large. On the low end you are looking at about $500 or so for some resin and on the high end around $1,000.

I do not recall the exact dimensions, but I think the largest object we print is probably somewhere around 2 feet by 2 feet. Pieces can be glued or fastened together though, so if you design your part right then it can be as large as you want.

I use Illustrator more often that Photoshop for work, but both are a big part of my everyday work. I don't think I could live without either at home. It's so fun to lean new stuff in the programs. Especially Photoshop because there are so many things you can do with that program. I don't think i will ever know how to do everything with it.

Back
Top Bottom