"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
View Poll Results: What Pet Do you WANT?
Cats! Cute and you dont have to walk them! 18 41.86%
Dogs! A good friend that wants you around! 24 55.81%
Fish! They are quiet.... beautiful and relaxing! 4 9.30%
Horses! Powerful... Understanding and pround animals! 6 13.95%
Birds! Tweeeeeeet!!!!!! 3 6.98%
Hamsters/Gerbils! Cute little guys just need love! 4 9.30%
Other! Reptiles... or whatever! (tell us!) 1 2.33%
How DARE you ask me! You should be flogged! Grrrrrr.... 1 2.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-04-2006, 03:23 PM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

yeah, it's unrealistic, Trip. Besides, it's really hard to find freshy killed zebra when you need it.

Old 09-04-2006, 03:29 PM   #32
Senior Cook

wouldn't need alot... have you seen those house hippos on the comercials, their smaller then a kitten... I can work with that... They just look soooo cute. lol

Old 09-04-2006, 05:58 PM   #33
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
I have always been a cat fan, still am, but Napoleone implanted such a soft spot for teeny weeny hammies, thus my vote went to the hamsters.

In my fantasy, I would love to have a little pink pudgy piglet following me around, and to cuddle with... only if he never grows any bigger.
Old 09-07-2006, 11:04 PM   #34
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
Thats cute.
Old 09-08-2006, 01:01 AM   #35
Senior Cook

I do WANT a dog. My husband doesn't go for the indoor one, but that is the only way I would have it if we were to get one. I just know he would love the dog once he saw how lovable it would be. He's such a softie (my husband, that is), even though he would like to think otherwise.
Old 09-09-2006, 10:14 AM   #36
Master Chef

One thing I cannot abide is people who want a "pet" but it has to live "outside". They proceed to buy a dog, collar and stake it in their yard and ignore it for the rest of its life, then wonder why the neighbors complain about the noise the poor thing makes. They say they bought it for the kids, who are NEVER home. If you can't be home, buy a fish. Not a bird, birds need companionship. Then they are peeved at the neighbors. The poor animal kicks over its food and water bowls, is bored stiff (much of "bad" pet behavior is simple boredom. Hey, you can't entertain yourself for 24 hours a day, you're expecting a dog to?). Please, don't buy an "outside" dog unless you live on a huge farm where he can roam free. Dogs are domesticated and have been for centuries. They are meant to live near our fireplaces, within loving reach. I think that dogs are the ultimate creation of mankind -- over the millenium, we have taken this wild thing and turned it into something else. So don't mess with nature's creatures, and take loving care of the creature we have created.
Old 09-09-2006, 10:23 AM   #37
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to college_cook
The fiance' and I can;t seem to say no to animals.. we're big time animal lovers, of most varieties. She has 2 horses, one she's had for 8 years, one she's had for about 3 years. As for pets, we've gone from 0 to 4 in the past year... a Calico cat, a silver tabby, and most recently an orange tabby. We've also adopted a great big German Shepherd, who thinks of the cats as her babies. She's quite a ferocious looking dog, but she's probably the gentlest sweetest dog I've ever had.

Part of our problem is that she works for the local animal shelter, and we also are big participants in the foster care program there. Whenever the shelter gets too crowded we take in some extra animals for a couple of weeks, until they can be adopted out. It helps cut down on the numbers of animals euthanized. We actually might be the largest participants of the foster program... I think we took in over 50 animals over the past year.
Old 09-09-2006, 10:58 AM   #38
Assistant Cook

I've had just about every pet you can think of, short of exotics. I've had all kinds of birds, including pet chickens, mice, gerbils, hamsters, horses, cows (yes, pet cows, who followed me like dogs), snakes, frogs, tropical fish, turtles, including 2 snappers, cats, dogs, sheep (one who lived in the house and used a litter box), goats, chinchillas, rabbits, and probably others that I can't remember.

Right now, I have 2 pet chickens, 2 cats, and a dog (German Shepherd). The dog is particularly bright, not to mention the first one I've managed to truly housebreak. The cats come when I call them and can do tricks.

If I were to choose just one animal to have all the time, I'd choose cats. Except for the fact that I have to keep food hidden, they don't bother anything, aren't needy (like the dog), and pretty much leave me alone when I want them to. One of mine DOES have the habit of cleaning my face while I'm sleeping, paying special attention to my eyelids and nostrils. It hurts a bit, but I try to think of it as a free peel. :)