What restaurants do you miss that are gone.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is a line that is near and dear to my heart. I miss those old places (you have to understand that Ive lived a lot of places) where you could find a booth in the back and have a steak. My Mom calls them "Hernando's Hide-Aways" Is there a song about that? I love all food, but a place where "everyone knows my name, and they're always glad I came" and a little personal booth where I can talk to my friends with the illusion of privacy, is really, really nice.

Chi-Chi's. The kids really enjoyed going there, especially on their birthday when the wait staff would put a sombrero on them, sing a birthday wish to them and take their picture. Very family friendly place to eat.

Fusco's Broad Street Manhattan
Sweet's downtown Manhattan
White's downtown Manhattan
Volk's downtown Manhattan
Sakelle downtown Manhattan
Joe's Broadway Chinatown downtown Manhattan
North Star Pub Fulton St. Manhattan
Market Bar & Restaurant World Trade Center Manhattan
Barclay Inn downtown Manhattan
Luchows 14th Street Manhattan
Maneros Greenwich Village
Drum & Connells 14th Street Manhattan
Otto's Seabreeze, Freeport NY
McClusky's Steak House, Bellmore NY
Mitchells Greenport NY
Osborne Inn Riverhead NY
ZUM ZUM
WienerWald
Furama Ave U Brooklyn
Cookies Ave M Brooklyn
Lundy's Sheepshead Bay Brooklyn
Brennan & Carr Ave U Brooklyn
Trade Inn 30 Church St. Manhattan

Fudruckers is still going strong in the Annapolis MD area, I heard that Arthur Treacher's is still around on the eastern shore of MD and DE. I miss Gino's and the original Roy Rodgers, not those imitators on the Jersey turnpike.

Mountain Jack's and Boar's Head. They were great steak and seafood places here. They also had the BEST bloody marys!

Barb

Oh and Sambo's! It was a pancake place in Oregon. Yummy!
and Waddles... in Oregon too..

The original Bob's Big Boy...
I loved Bob's Big Boy! Years ago I learned that throughout the country there are Big Boy restaurants, but they are called something else. On our recent vacation we came across a Frisch's Big Boy (same Big Boy "statue" in front). I hadn't eaten at a Big Boy restaurant in years, and James never had, so I told him we had to go there. It was awful. I guess the burgers were okay (they were edible anyway), but they were not the Big Boy burgers I knew and loved. They say, "You can't go home." I guess that can apply to restaurants as well! :(

:)Barbara

Oh and Sambo's! It was a pancake place in Oregon. Yummy!...
We used to have them in California too. I believe they just changed their name at our location (during the 70s I believe), but I can't remember what the new name was.

I loved them too. Never saw them on the east coast though. Just when I went on my honeymoon and toured Utah, Nevada, Arizona & California in the 70's. They had the best breakfasts.

They had them in Georgia about 25 years ago but have long disappeared. :mad:

Mountain Jack's and Boar's Head. They were great steak and seafood places here. They also had the BEST bloody marys!

Barb

Mountain Jack's has been gone from my area for so long! We loved going for the good food and the decor. DH loved looking around at all the different stuff they had there. Another place we miss is Po' Folks. It was simple country cooking but their fried chicken was the best. Better than KFC. Could get a picnic pac for 10 people for around $20 and have chicken with all the fixins AND a gallon of tea or lemonade. That was some good eatin!

I went to Mama Leone's on my Senior Class trip to New York City in 1957. What a treat for a 16 year old girl. Sorry to know that it is out of business. (please don't do the math lol)

there are still Bob Big Boys around, for instance, in Baker California, just outside Vegas. but they have changed everything, where as their burgers used to be huge and full of flavor, they are now mediocre at best.
all 5 of this family has decided not to darken any of their doors any more. it just ain't worth it

Mine are still around but not here ~ Togo's and Del Taco. I know, very unsophisticated, but I loved Togo's turkey salami on white and Del Taco's Big Fat Steak Taco.

Mine are still around but not here ~ Togo's and Del Taco. I know, very unsophisticated, but I loved Togo's turkey salami on white and Del Taco's Big Fat Steak Taco.
I have always preferred Taco Bell to Del Taco, but when I went back to visit my family in March, I made sure we went to Del Taco at least once! I do miss them!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom