What restaurants do you miss that are gone.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No doubt, Hofbrauhus Highlands, NJ. THE Best German restaurant ever. Would kill for their meatball appy.

Well here I go again, demonstrating my sophisticated palette-I miss Shakeys Pizza!

Oh, and I wouldn't mind a waffle house closer than 100 miles from Omaha either!!

Gandalfos. I know they still exist, but not in my city and it makes me so sad! There are like 6 Subways within 15 minutes--don't ask me how that happened because Gandolfos is far superior IMO.

Tippin's - man their pies were off the hook!!!!!
Bahama Breeze - I really thought this place was doing well... then POOF! It's gone!

Those are about the only two I can think of at the moment. Maybe later today when the fog clears in my head... I will have thought of more!

OHHHHH.. I thought of one more! Italian Garden... they had those little garlic bread slices, oh my I could eat my weight of those things!!!

Arther Treachers (sp?). When I was growing up in NJ I recall going there and loving it. I have not seen one since I was about 4. I do not know if they still exist or if they were even any good, but I have fond memories of going there.

I know there are still A & w'S around but they don't make the baby burgers any
more and I really miss those.

HOSAKA in west LA. All you can eat sushi for 1 hour for $22. They changed hands over 10 years ago and don't offer AYCE any more. Nothing came close in price, quality, and quantity.

The first thing that came to my mind when i read the title of the thread was " Mama Leone's " , and sure enough, thats what i saw when I opened the thread. I remember as a child, we went to the city to see the tree, a museum, and always ended up at Mama Leone's. I remember around Thanksgiving time, there was always a barrel of candied corn as u waited to be seated, and the bowl of celery, carrots and olives, along with a huge chunk of Mozzarella cheese waiting for u at the table when yu were seated. I also remember me and my brother fighting for all the black olives, making my sister cry, because she didnt get any. So the waitress brought a huge bowl of black olives just for her. Oh yeah, I also remember a woman strolling around singing from table to table accompanied by a guy playing either a violin or mandolin ( its been a good 30 years so my memory isnt great), and we told them it was my fathers birthday, and they came and sung a song just for him ( he hates beingthe center of attention, so it was real funny ( for us anyway!!)). I think the restaurant changed locations for awhile, just wasnt the same then eventually went belly up..

Aunt Emma's Pancake House, in San Diego. My uncle was the manager and I have the best memories of that restaurant. My uncle treated my sister and me to dinner there on a couple of our birthdays--without our parents. We felt so grown up! They had wonderful pancakes and waffles, as well as great dinners. They also had the best cheesecake, but I do have the recipe for that, as my uncle gave it to my mom. :w00t2:

:)Barbara

No doubt, Hofbrauhus Highlands, NJ. THE Best German restaurant ever. Would kill for their meatball appy.

I went to a german restaurant in Fort Worth, TX by the same name. Believe it or not I had an out of this world Country Fried Steak and oh let's not forget the fried dill pickles. I wonder if it's the same.

This restaurant isn't closed, but there over an hour away sinced I moved back out to the country to care for my mother. It's called Carmaletta's. Their chicken enchilada's are to die for and the best salsa I've ever had. About twice a year I have to make the drive to get my enchilada fix.

Chi-Chi's - It was a sad day in my family when we pulled up to find it deserted.

Zantigo's for my wife. She always talkes about how good it was. I think there are a few around still but no where near us.
According to my wife it was far superior to Taco Bell. She always talkes about how good it was. I think there are a few around still but no where near us.

Dumplin's, it was a mom & pop buffet. It was cheap and had the best food. They closed under mysterious conditions then re-opened about 6 months later but it was never the same. I think everyone I worked with went there. It's now a funeral home. Fitting in a way.

deelady I looked on Yahoo yellow pages and they still have a Fudrucker's listed. We haven't been to that one in years might be worth calling. (Oops looks like it's gone too. I just tried to call) :(

Arther Treachers was everwhere when I was a kid then they disappeared until about 10 years or so ago. There is at least one in the midwest. I didn't remember much about it but I had to stop in. It was OK.

Sister's Chicken & Biscuits, far superior in every way to KFC. They tried to cut costs at the sake of quality and taste then went under. Their spicey chicken was the bomb. R.I.P.

Back in the thirties and forties their was a restaurant that my mother was the head cook and my dad would take me up to pick up my mom, and all of the waitress's would make a fuss over me and later my date and I would go for a nice dinner. Now it is gone and a hot sheet motel stands there. A great loss for the community

Bel Canto in Lexington MA (and Cambridge, though I never went to that location). Also Flint's Barbecue here in Oakland, CA. Flint's technically still exists, but the quality is far below what they once served.

Back
Top Bottom