What Season Are You?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BreezyCooking

Washing Up
As our all-too-brief Virginia spring turns rapidly into hot-&-humid summer, I started thinking about what my favorite season is - especially cooking-wise.

For me I'd have to say Autumn. I love the colors & the falling leaves, love the smell of wood-smoke in the air, love cool-weather barbecues, indoor stews & braises, etc., etc.

What's your favorite "cooking" season?

While winter is my favorite clothing season, late spring and summer are what I love the most. I know it gets hot, but I wait all year for those home grown fruits and veggies especially my tomatoes. Right now I've been in piggy heaven with them..I love sliced Italian bread, drizzled with a good evoo and some vinegar, then topped with a sweet warm, ripe just picked tomatoe..If I'm wanting it a little fancy, I'll add some parmesan and fresh basil to it..Yummm,So summer,with it's bounty of melons,grapes,peaches all fruits,and berries,some lucious veggies..I'll taker that..But,the changes in seasons all bring about a taste feast for all of us.

kadesma:)

I'm more of an Autumn person too. The air beginning to cool with all the end of season vegetables - I live for that first pot of minestrone!!!!! The crispness in the air makes me feel so much better.

I love it when the harvest starts to come in, the middle of summer.

And then the joy of autumn.

Iam not a summer person, weather wise, fall is my favorite, let me put on a sweatshirt. I do appreciate all the fresh produce in the summer. Can't beat Mich.'s corn and tomatoes !
Plus I grill year round (just brush the snow off) !

Last edited:
I am a SUMMER SUMMER SUMMER person. I love to grill out, eat fresh homegrown produce and enjoy the fresh berries and fruit. Fall cooking is OK, but I have seasonal affective disorder and in the winter I get very blah.

i love summer .. the fresh produce .. the grill ..
the beach .. the water parks .. i love summer ..

I come alive when the weather's cooler. I love spring and fall because of that. I enjoy cold weather cooking. There's nothing better than the smell of a stew cooking or bread in the oven.

I do appreciate the summer for all the wonderful fresh and delicious produce. Winter tomatoes are about the worst thing I can name. I enjoy cooking outside but I imagine Buck and I don't do it nearly as much as most folks.

For me it's a tie between autumn and fall. :LOL: Seriously, I love the crisp air, cool enough for a sweater but not cold enough for a heavy coat. I love snuggling up with a mug of hot chocolate, and I love coming in and warming up with a big bowl of beef stew or chili. I also love spring (the cooler days--I don't like hot days) and I love the winter. Summer is good when it isn't too hot, but it gets so hot and humid around here that it is hard to enjoy the outdoors. Over all I love any day I wake up alive. :cool:

:) Barbara

I have lived so many places that I can't narrow it down. I agree in Virginia it is fall. It is way too short, but spectacularly beautiful, one of the few times you can open the windows and breathe. I lived in several places there and think that you are absolutely right. Some places it only lasted a week, but it was the most gorgeous season in every part of Virginia.

Here I think it is spring. If you don't live some place like here, you don't understand it. Walking and driving around, seeing the new flowers popping out, and the new babies (lambs, calves, etc) frolicking. It is wonderful.

But I've lived many places. I loved gardening in Florida in the winter. And you just can't beat Hawaii, especially in the winter. But I love the first snowfall here. The pure white snow is beautiful.

Every place I've lived has a wonderful season.

Two-part answer.

1. I really like Spring for its promise of things to come and the first opportunities to break out from the cold of the winter.

I also really like Fall for the crisp, clear, cool days, the colors. You can still do outdoor stuff without the energy sapping heat and humidity.

2. I like to cook most in the winter. Soups, and stews, pot roasts, braises, Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners. Automatic holiday pre-approval to overeat without guilt.

Autumn here also, although I love all the season, with autumn you can have a BBQ and salad one day and winter stew the next all depending on the weather that day.

it`s also Chestnuts and Baked potatos Time :)

i tried to think of one that stood out over the others, but i kept thinking of what i enjoyed about each season.

spring, for the promising early harvests of asparagus, snow peas, spinach, beets, radishes, and lettuces. fresh, crisp, green spring. not to be outdone by easter hams, and fresh lambs, and stuffed baked trout.

summer, for corn so sweet - who needs candy?
and a trip into the garden with a shaker of salt for sun warmed tomatoes.
also, peaches, watermelons, and plum juices dripping down your chin, while the aroma of grilled meats wafts into the warm breezes.
or cold chicken legs, ham sandwiches, hard boiled eggs, and icy grapes on a blanket at the beach. or clam bakes, and steamed lobsters, and old bay crabs.

next is fall. housewarming roasts with root veggies. baked breads, mixed nuts, and cheeses. big pots of meatballs and sausages in sunday gravy, and even bigger bowls of pasta. octoberfest beers, kielbasi, and sauerbraten, with potato pancakes. and for dessert: apple pies, or baked peaches with ice cream.

finally, winter soups and stews, to warm you from inside out. thermos's full hot chocolate, and doughnuts and cider by the frozen ponds. and fancy holiday meals, putting everyone in the spirit. or into the spirits, as the case may be.

so, i couldn't decide on just one season. there's too much cookin' and eatin' to be done.

buckytom said:
i tried to think of one that stood out over the others, but i kept thinking of what i enjoyed about each season.

spring, for the promising early harvests of asparagus, snow peas, spinach, beets, radishes, and lettuces. fresh, crisp, green spring. not to be outdone by easter hams, and fresh lambs, and stuffed baked trout.

summer, for corn so sweet - who needs candy?
and a trip into the garden with a shaker of salt for sun warmed tomatoes.
also, peaches, watermelons, and plum juices dripping down your chin, while the aroma of grilled meats wafts into the warm breezes.
or cold chicken legs, ham sandwiches, hard boiled eggs, and icy grapes on a blanket at the beach. or clam bakes, and steamed lobsters, and old bay crabs.

next is fall. housewarming roasts with root veggies. baked breads, mixed nuts, and cheeses. big pots of meatballs and sausages in sunday gravy, and even bigger bowls of pasta. octoberfest beers, kielbasi, and sauerbraten, with potato pancakes. and for dessert: apple pies, or baked peaches with ice cream.

finally, winter soups and stews, to warm you from inside out. thermos's full hot chocolate, and doughnuts and cider by the frozen ponds. and fancy holiday meals, putting everyone in the spirit. or into the spirits, as the case may be.

so, i couldn't decide on just one season. there's too much cookin' and eatin' to be done.

Buckytom, I love how you paint a picture with your words.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom