What smell bothers you?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I could make it easier and let you know what smells DON'T bother me! I am a hopeless asthmatic and have a million allergies

Perfume/scents of any kind as Andy said (all personal type products)
Smoke - cigarette, fire, something burning on the stove
oysters, mussels, clams (also a gag reflex there)
Most flowers
Cleaning products
Excessive garlic but love it is small doses
fresh cut grass
Wet Dogs

jpb, i'm sure you also loved the smell of a nyc subway in the summertime.

more like an old urinal.

jpb, i'm sure you also loved the smell of a nyc subway in the summertime.

more like an old urinal.
The superheated subterranean platforms could almost kill one's sense of smell. Empty air conditioned subway cars were often caused by the presence aromatic / pungent vagrants. Last I recall TA public lavatories were closed to the public but still pretty ripe even when only being used by TA employees. The Coney Island Stillwell Ave Terminal was better maintained via the heavy use of chlorine disinfectant.

Last edited:
Bad breath and smelly underarms.
Lol.... here's some free advice. Don't ever take a train in Istanbul. :LOL:

The worst food-related thing I've ever smelled is rotten potatoes. Many years ago when I had my first apartment, I bought a bag of spuds and stuck them under the sink. Then I promptly forgot about them for several weeks. Every time I did the dishes, I could smell something freakishly bad. I thought it was the garbage disposal,so I called the landlord. It was she who found the potatoes, which had disintegrated in the bag into a foul smelling goo. It was horrendous. Even after several scrub-downs with bleach, the smell never completely went away.

Steve Kroll said:
Lol.... here's some free advice. Don't ever take a train in Istanbul. :LOL:

The worst food-related thing I've ever smelled is rotten potatoes.

I've heard that from several people!

Lost asparagus! We use our car very little. After a grocery trip we put everything away and didn't notice the missing asparagus. Three days later we made the meal the asparagus was to go with, but no asparagus. Checked the receipt, yup we bought it. Looked all over the fridge, nope not there. Went to look in the car, opened the back hatch, bent over and heaved. Three days in a 100F+ car = stifling smell and immediate gag reflex.:wacko:

We have smelled the Venetian canals in May, don't want to smell them in July or August!:ohmy:

Last edited:
Lost asparagus! We use our car very little. After a grocery trip we put everything away and didn't notice the missing asparagus. Three days later we made the meal the asparagus was to go with, but no asparagus. Checked the receipt, yup we bought it. Looked all over the fridge, nope not there. Went to look in the car, opened the back hatch, bent over and heaved. Three days in a 100F+ car = stifling smell and immediate gag reflex.:wacko:

We have smelled the Venetian canals in May, don't want to smell them in July or August!:ohmy:

We had a similar experience. Just substitute the word 'bluefish' everywhere you have asparagus and let you imagination run wild.

We had a similar experience. Just substitute the word 'bluefish' everywhere you have asparagus and let you imagination run wild.

That reminds me, I really miss hubcaps. When all cars/trucks had hubcaps. In those days, if someone really p*$$#* you off, you could stuff some catfish inside their hubcaps and they couldn't figure out where the smell was coming from.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
AHA! It's people like you that are responsible for the premature retirement of the venerated hub cap and its higher class cousin, the wheel cover.

I know others may disagree, but I hate the smell of rain. I also can't stand to smell someone eating a tuna sandwich. I usually have to take my lunch and move away.

...but I love the smell of a basement. It reminds me of Grandpa and Grandma's house.

I can't take the smell of Campbell's cream of tomato soup. I thought it was cream of tomato soup, but no, it's that special Campbell's version that makes me nauseous.

I know others may disagree, but I hate the smell of rain. I also can't stand to smell someone eating a tuna sandwich. I usually have to take my lunch and move away.

I love the smell of rain, it's the next day when the worms are all out in the sun that stink.

Today, my garlic is smelling up the garage and I'm hot and bothered--I couldn't have made that stink myself, could I? :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom