What smell bothers you?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Depends on the what organization a private duty nurse works for. Around here it is $60-75 an hour, the organization has to get it's cut. The hospital loves a private duty nurse, they don't have to pay them, but the nurse is still saddled with the hospital policy when it comes to getting what their patient needs and road blocks can be thrown in their way by extra protocols they must follow. This is as much to protect the nurse and the hospital in case of a lawsuit as it is to cause a slow down in care.

I believe in family members to be fully empowered in the decision making process, because they KNOW the baseline of the patient. My concerns and anger over aspects of Shrek's care have been reported, also the manner I was treated when voicing my concerns. I also have the advantage of being a classmate of the Nurse Manager of the hospital in question, she knows me and my work.

Heck hath no fury like a nurse taking care of her own ogre.
Thanks for your reply. Sorry to hear that even the nurses get hassled. I doubt the affordable care act will do anything to improve the situation.

Thanks for your reply. Sorry to hear that even the nurses get hassled. I doubt the affordable care act will do anything to improve the situation.

Actually, all the changes in Medicare and Medicaid have made it harder to provide quality nursing care. I spend more time with a computer now that with patients. They no longer care about the nursing care given to patients, just if they are getting therapy or not. For every 30 minutes spent with a patient, it takes me 2 hours to do the documentation for the government.

PrincessFiona60 said:
Actually, all the changes in Medicare and Medicaid have made it harder to provide quality nursing care. I spend more time with a computer now that with patients. They no longer care about the nursing care given to patients, just if they are getting therapy or not. For every 30 minutes spent with a patient, it takes me 2 hours to do the documentation for the government.

How ridiculous.

Last edited:

I can tell you from a therapists point of view that we don't like it either, we are pushed beyond our limits as well as the patients. Instead of giving the patient actual treatment half of our day is doing paperwork while the patient is present because we have no other way to fit it in our day. They schedule us 8 hours of treatment time in a 8 hour day. The changes hit us all hard. :(

This topic has become very off-topic about a discussion on nursing homes. Is there no way turn it back into a Discuss Cooking topic?

Can we discuss something other than cadavers and the smell of death?

Or perhaps the moderators can split off the nursing home topic into a separate discussion...

I can tell you from a therapists point of view that we don't like it either, we are pushed beyond our limits as well as the patients. Instead of giving the patient actual treatment half of our day is doing paperwork while the patient is present because we have no other way to fit it in our day. They schedule us 8 hours of treatment time in a 8 hour day. The changes hit us all hard. :(

I know! I'm not dissing the therapists, it's the process we have to go through to make sure our patient's get the care they need and deserve. If it wasn't for you guys, we would be having to toss the Restorative nursing part int there, further shortening our time we can spend with all our patients.

I know! I'm not dissing the therapists, it's the process we have to go through to make sure our patient's get the care they need and deserve. If it wasn't for you guys, we would be having to toss the Restorative nursing part int there, further shortening our time we can spend with all our patients.

:LOL: I know, I'm just grumbling about Medicare and erm back to topic even though every time you and I in are in a discussion together we end up talking about work :ROFLMAO:

I hate the smell of perms! and coffee but I already said that.. just want to make it clear! :cool:

:LOL: I know, I'm just grumbling about Medicare and erm back to topic even though every time you and I in are in a discussion together we end up talking about work :ROFLMAO:

I hate the smell of perms! and coffee but I already said that.. just want to make it clear! :cool:

Must be because we care...:angel:

I hate the smell of overdone broccoli, cabbage, etc.

And from the patients point of view, they feel the cut in care. I am grateful that I have a son who is my medical proxy. It pays to have someone in the medical field. :)

And from the patients point of view, they feel the cut in care. I am grateful that I have a son who is my medical proxy. It pays to have someone in the medical field. :)
Addie--are you the one who has posted about helping people with Medicare? I am trying to find out if Medicare would cover costs of a family member caring for a parent in MN and haven't been able to navigate my way through the paperwork. E-mail me if you are this guru.

Addie--are you the one who has posted about helping people with Medicare? I am trying to find out if Medicare would cover costs of a family member caring for a parent in MN and haven't been able to navigate my way through the paperwork. E-mail me if you are this guru.

Your parents got a thick book from Medicare. If you can't find it, call SS office and ask them to send a new one to YOU. There is a chapter in there about paying family members for home care. PF would know more. She deals all the time with Medicare on a professional basis. I think you have to be from an agency to qualify. I vagualy remember hearing that if you can prove that it was necessary for you to quit work in order to care for a parent or sick member of the family, you could get paid. You would need a doctor's letter on letterhead stating that you are needed in that position. That I know.

I don't have my book. I tossed it out since I don't have to worry about Medicare. All my needs are met by my medical plan. I sorry I can't be of more help. PF has gone to bed, but keep your eye open to see when she comes on tomorrow. She is back at work now that Shrek is on the mend. :)

Thanks, Addie. I thought you were the one helping others in your building re: these things. It is getting to the point where we (my brother and I) are giving up income to be in MN caring for our mom. I don't mind doing the care thing, but I have been having a hard time meeting ends meet because of it.

I am not sure what Medicare pays for once the person is home and still needs nursing care. We haven't hit that part, yet. I only know what qualifies them once they hit the nursing home and THAT book is a 3 inch binder that changes almost every quarter.

I am sure that Addie is right in that you have to have documentation on the care you give and a Doctor's written authorization, not so sure about needing to be part of an agency. Get a hold of the MN SS for what they require. Here is the main Medicare site: Medicare | Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services

I looked at the site for Medicare. From what I could gather and understand, you have to be licensed at minimum as a CNA (Certified Nursing Assistant). The course is not a long one, but you do get a certificate at the end of the course. And they only pay for 60 days at a stretch. (I think) They do have provisions for long term care. But I really didnt understand what they were saying. And every where I looked they kept refering to an "agency" that provided the personnel. If your parents are covered by Medicaid (the State version of Medicare) the benefits are a bit looser. You would still have to be a CNA, but they usually recognize family members as caregivers and do not require that you be part of an agency. At least that is the way it is here in Massachusetts. You would have to contact Medicaid in MN to get the details. Each State is different.

I feel for you. I am fortunate. My kids are only seconds from me and if I need care, they are right there. My daughter had to take a lot of days off from work to take me to my appointments. That is the main reason I joined my present health plan. They provide all my needs right down to an aspirin at no coast to me or a family member. Good luck. I hope you find a solution. :angel:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom