What smell bothers you?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blissful

Master Chef
MY YARD, MY KITCHEN, MY HANDS--they all STINK, it's garlic. I love garlic but harvest time is STINKY! :LOL:

Any smells start to bother you after a while?:)

Strong soap or bleach smells bother me. I was in Wally World recently and went down the cleaning/soap aisle. There were a couple of teenage girls at one end who had apparently been spraying air freshener down the aisle to decide which one they liked. The odor was so strong, I immediately got a headache and had to leave. Just can't deal with that.

I love the aroma of garlic, though ;) I used to make garlic butter in the microwave and the smell would permeate the kitchen - I loved that. Need to start doing it that way again.

I can not stand the smell of onions on my hands, I wear gloves when I cut them. Lysol and Pine Sol...

We are done blanching the scapes and we have at least 2 maybe 3 more days of harvesting garlic, I love it, just not for days on end! I reek! I think I ate too many garlic bulbuls, it's now in my blood. I hope I don't get sick, doctors wouldn't like my stink.:LOL:

I've been making strawberry jam--the house smells like strawberries--intensified.

Strawberries are so seasonal, it's tough for me to not like that smell. I made strawberry smoothies with bananas and plum today and some strawberry sauce for Trapper's good for him ice cream. HA, good for him. :LOL:

I like all ordinary cooking and food smells, and I particularly like garlic. It would be hell for me to be romantically involved with a woman who hates garlic, talk about Hobson's choice! :)

I dislike all the normally disliked smells that everybody dislikes. I think the worst smell ever was when I drove past a chicken farm in IIRC Ojai (north of L.A.) which featured large quantities of chicken "output" and it was a hot day. Note that I'm not referring to eggs. ;)

I like perfume and cologne when used in reasonable quantities. I sometimes use after shave myself but only in very small quantities. I think there's a problem with sense of smell fading with age, which sometimes results (at least as I have noticed) that some older women tend to over-use perfume. And there's always the natural tendency to become accustomed to smells, that the person who wears it doesn't realize how strong it is because after you apply it your nose naturally adjusts and quits sensing it. That is why I use such a small amount of after shave when I do use it. I know it will smell stronger to other people than it does to me.

I like incense and scented candles although I haven't had either in a long time.

I would be tempted to use garlic cologne except that I know that would be just so wrong! :LOL: Might be handy if I dated an attractive vampiress. ;)

Last edited:
Hmmm. Greg, I understand just what you mean. Our area is a heavy chicken-farming area so there are many, many huge chicken barns all over the landscape. On a hot day the smell can be overwhelming.

As for my smells, not much bothers me...except for the smell of even slightly burned toast. It didn't bother me until I was pregnant with my first child and for some reason it triggered my "ugh" reflex. Still can't abide the smell.

simply can't abide the smell of pine-sol.
That reminds me that I just love original scent Lysol!!! It's the smell of freedom for me. When I moved away from my parents' house and got my first apartment it was the first place I ever lived that my mommy didn't clean, and was kind of weird knowing that other people who I didn't know lived there (and who knows what they did there?) so I scoured out the whole place with Lysol particularly the kitchen and bathroom, and Lysol became "the smell of freedom" for me! :LOL:

I think they phased out their original scent. I still love it, and to me it's the essence of "clean."

Last edited:
Diesel exhaust, yuck! And the perfume department in department stores. I have to cover my nose and rush past. I hate that a lot of department stores have the perfume department at the entrance.

Diesel exhaust, yuck! And the perfume department in department stores. I have to cover my nose and rush past. I hate that a lot of department stores have the perfume department at the entrance.
Diesel exhaust--I can't stand riding city buses--the exhaust makes me ill. Ironically, I did a stint as a tour manager on fly and drive tours--but maybe because I was at the front of the bus and we weren't starting and stopping to let people on and off, it didn't bother me. I thought we were talking food odors--lutefisk is high on my list of food odors I can't abide.

My second husband was a commercial fisherman. He would come home smelling like fish, diesel fuel and salt water. I got used to it after a while. But he had to take a shower as soon as he got in the door. And his clothes went directly into the washer.

Then I became pregnant with my fifth child. I found out while he was out on a trip. He came in the door at 2 a.m. He went to say Hi to me and all I could do was say, "You make me sick." I then proceeded to barf all over him. That is how I let him know we were expecting. From that day on, he had to shower on the boat before he came home. Today, I love the smell of the salt air. And fish shouldn't have a smell. But I will never like the smell of diesel fuel. :wacko:

Back
Top Bottom