"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-26-2007, 05:43 PM   #11
Executive Chef

2nd Dyson? How long did the first one last?

It is actually still going - we gave it away to pre-school & toddler group. My DW had wanted to try something different, so we had several other bagless vacuum cleaners and have just come back to a Dyson.

Old 10-27-2007, 05:43 AM   #12
Head Chef

Thank you all. Now I have some research to do for the vacuum cleaner. I did buy an iron already. It's a Sunbeam. Not so expensive and it should last for a long time.

Old 10-27-2007, 08:17 AM   #13
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine View Post
If I let your parents adopt me, will you get ME a Dyson Animal for Christmas?
Well, you know the saying of 'If the plans of mice and men...' or however the saying goes, shortly after writing that, I had to make an unexpected car repair; so my sister may have to wait awhile for her vacuum cleaner. Phooeey! At least she understands and is willing to wait.
Old 10-27-2007, 11:11 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

another recommendation for a dyson. with 4 cats, 1 turtle, 5 hermit crabs, 2 parrots, and 1 tasmanian devil child, we vacuum very frequently. often, more than once a day.

we've had very old powerful hoover cannister vacuums, and an oreck, but the dyson is the best, imo.

the oreck was powerful and very lightweight, but required a lot of maintenance and eventually broke down.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 08:14 AM   #15
Master Chef

These are two of my biggest housekeeping problems. I guess it is nice to know it isn't just me. I bought the best iron Target sells and within a year I had water spots on everything I steam ironed with. I hate my vacuum cleaner. And it isn't like I'm a meticulous house cleaner. I'm not. I hate ironing and hate vacuuming. These things are supposed to make our lives better, and all they do is frustrate me ....
Old 10-28-2007, 11:51 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

oh, i forgot to add that we have rowenta stainless steel irons, and with a little care once in a blue moon, they do a great job. just like ss cookware, if you get stains or mineral build up on the heating platen or in the steam holes, it's easy to clean with c.l.r., ss cleaners, or even a good ol' brillo pad.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 04:18 PM   #17
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Last Sunday morning, I performed my usual ritual of changing litter boxes and vacuuming the "cat room" and the hallway, approximately 6 ft by 3 ft, that leads to it with my normal, everyday vacuum cleaner. Sunday afternoon, after having my car serviced, I drove over to Best Buy and bought the Dyson DC-17 Animal vacuum cleaner. I brought it home, assembled it with some difficulty (Lousy instructions! They're technical writer and they're graphics person should be fired), and re-vacummed JUST the 6 ft by 3 ft hallway. I had enough cat hair in the dust cup to build myself another cat! This thing does an unbelievable job!

Unfortunately, I found out that Bed, Bath, and All That Other Stuff sells the Dyson DC-17 for the same price as Best Buy, Target, and just about everyone else, and they accept their 20% off coupon for it. This means I will now have to buy a Dyson at B B & B, take it out of their box, put it into the Best Buy box, and return it to Best Buy. I do not want to disassemble my current Dyson and then have to assemble another one, but I am not eating that $110.00+ cost difference, either. And after all, I did use the one from Best Buy, so it's only fair I give them an unused one back.
Old 11-09-2007, 04:19 PM   #18
Everymom

Wow. Is it really that good Caine? Have you tried it on furniture?
Old 11-09-2007, 04:27 PM   #19
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
I have never, ever, in my entire 50 plus years, vacuumed furniture. I can ask Rose, my cleaning lady, what she thinks. I believe she vacuums the furniture, and she'll be in next week some time.
Old 11-09-2007, 04:28 PM   #20
Everymom

LMAO, thanks.