"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-26-2007, 09:03 AM   #1
Head Chef

What steam iron and vacuum do you use and like?

My steam iron died today. It was a Black and Decker and I've had it for a long time. What do you have? I don't want to spend $100 plus for one.

I also am in need of a new vacuum cleaner. What do you recommend?

Old 10-26-2007, 10:49 AM   #2
Executive Chef

I had to get one recently, too, and I was faced with a lot of $100 irons. Not liking to iron that much, I went with a EuroPro on sale for $55 at Target. That brand can be strange - really good or really bad - but I've been satisfied with this one. It has a very large steam chamber (good because I hate having to stop and refill while ironing), a SS sole plate, digital temp selector, a very long cord, and auto off. HTH

As far as vacuum cleaners, I really don't like to vacuum. I have mostly hardwoods and tile but there several large area rugs so I have to vacuum sometimes. That said, I really didn't want to spend a huge amount on a vacuum. So I went to local repair shops (after recovering from sticker shock on new vacuums) and asked them the brands they considered really well-built and had good suction. Armed with a list of recommendations, I went to ebay and started searching.

First, I got and Electrolux upright for $100. I love this vacuum. It's lightweight and it really sucks!!! Then I decided I was so happy with that one that I got an Electrolux canister for about $75 for upstairs. (I know, too lazy to drag the other one up and down the stairs.) It works very well, too, but I have to say I prefer the upright for ease of use. The canister has a separate power head which may provide a little better suction but the difference is minimal. Anyway, that's what I did.

But....If someone just gave me one of those Dyson vacuums, I think I'd be thrilled. Everyone I know that has one says they are exceptional. HTH lyndalou

Old 10-26-2007, 11:36 AM   #3
Sous Chef

Go to a repair center in your area and ask them what is good and what isnt. They get all the repairs in and can tell you what they have more problems with.

Last time I was in to one (5 years ago) they said that 80% of there repair business came from bagless machines.

The way the brushes are designed will make a difference on how well the machine works, not just suction. There are many things to learn about them so take a day and go to a few different repair/dealer stores in your are and find the best one.

I ended up with a Lindhaus Lindhaus USA - Home Page that has been great. I have not had any problems with it.

If I had to buy one again I would probably go with a Miele canister unless I had central vac (which I would still get a Miele head then)
Old 10-26-2007, 12:01 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Yeah, the repair guys told me the same thing about bagless - complaints regarding poor suction. But I think Dyson is bagless and lots of my really clean friends say they are awesome. No personal experience though.

Another note, I buy my bags in bulk on ebay or internet sites. Much less expensive. For the cannister, I got a box of 100 bags for $50. I think the upright bags came in a box of 50 at a similar cost per bag.
Old 10-26-2007, 12:21 PM   #5
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndalou View Post
My steam iron died today. It was a Black and Decker and I've had it for a long time. What do you have? I don't want to spend $100 plus for one.

I also am in need of a new vacuum cleaner. What do you recommend?
I threw out my iron, and use steamers. One is a similar to a professional steamer with a tank for the water (I use it on drapes etc. & it freshens up the fabric), and the other is a hand-held steamer. Bought the hand-held (Joy Mangano) on ebay, and the professional steamer on HSN. If I go back to my fashion design/sewing, an iron is a must-have tool. But, I wouldn't spend $70 on an iron - might consider going to a thrift store to pick one up solely for that purpose. The new irons, IMHO, have too many bells and whistles, that I, personally, don't need.

Vacuum cleaner - I have a light weight (with a lot of pick up) - no bags or belts - I bought on QVC or HSN - but use my Roomba (bought on ebay) for daily cleaning. It's over $100, but does the job between cleanings (picks up tiny particles), and makes life easier, for me.
Old 10-26-2007, 01:24 PM   #6
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
I used to have a top-of-the-line Rowenta steam iron, which my insignificant other absconded with when she split, that cost me around $135.00 back in 1990. I don't even want to think about what one would cost now. They do make an excellent iron though. I liked mine so much, I bought one for my obsessive/compulsive mother, too.

I'm about due for a new vacuum cleaner, and I was considering the Dyson until I discovered the Infinity cyclonic vacuum cleaner for about 1/2 the price. Unfortunately I also just discovered that the Infinity is manufactured by Euro-Pro, a company about which I have heard nothing good, ever. Since both are available at Target, and Target has a pretty liberal return policy, I might just give the Infinity a try in my cat room. If it can suck kitty litter out of carpeting with one pass, I'll keep it. Otherwise, I'll give Jimmy Dyson's unit a crack at it. If they perform equally, I'll go with the best warranty. If their warranties are similar, I'll have to go with the Infinity, which is the cheaper unit, of course.
Old 10-26-2007, 03:29 PM   #7
Senior Cook

I've got a Dyson vacuum cleaner (the one for pet hair), and boy is it awesome! It picks up stuff out of my carpet that I didn't realize was in there. It may be a bit on the expensive side, but I think it's worth it. My sister loves to borrow it, so I'm thinking about getting her one for Christmas.
Old 10-26-2007, 03:47 PM   #8
Executive Chef

My wife has got one of the steam generator irons
see ROWENTA MASTER STEAM GENERATOR IRON DG520 - SHOP.COM UK for what I'm talking about. We got ours for 40.00 approx $80.

We are onto our second Dyson vacuum cleaner and have never really found anything else to match.
Old 10-26-2007, 04:04 PM   #9
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniman View Post
My wife has got one of the steam generator irons
see ROWENTA MASTER STEAM GENERATOR IRON DG520 - SHOP.COM UK for what I'm talking about. We got ours for 40.00 approx $80.

We are onto our second Dyson vacuum cleaner and have never really found anything else to match.
2nd Dyson? How long did the first one last?
Old 10-26-2007, 04:29 PM   #10
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foodfiend View Post
I've got a Dyson vacuum cleaner (the one for pet hair), and boy is it awesome! It picks up stuff out of my carpet that I didn't realize was in there. It may be a bit on the expensive side, but I think it's worth it. My sister loves to borrow it, so I'm thinking about getting her one for Christmas.
If I let your parents adopt me, will you get ME a Dyson Animal for Christmas?