"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-17-2006, 08:39 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntdot
Main meal on Sunday was family dinner always at 1 or 2 in the afternoon, and then, after that, we were generally on our own to forage and/or cook, which all of us could do (we were particularly good at the foraging aspect).
We, as well, had sunday dinner about 2pm. It was usually a roast of some sort, followed by pasta and meatballs, and then a salad. Around 7pm, my mom would be back in the kitchen making hot roast beef sandwiches or hot meatball sandwiches. Just the memory makes me smile. My mom's gravy was always lumpy!

Old 10-17-2006, 08:46 PM   #12
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue
We, as well, had sunday dinner about 2pm. It was usually a roast of some sort, followed by pasta and meatballs, and then a salad. Around 7pm, my mom would be back in the kitchen making hot roast beef sandwiches or hot meatball sandwiches. Just the memory makes me smile. My mom's gravy was always lumpy!
My mother was delighted when she went electric and was able to set a timer on the oven. Though she hated the electric cooktop, the timer meant that we could go to church, stop and get the fresh veg, and get home and have dinner with no worries. Ah, those roast beast sandwiches in the evening . . .

Old 10-17-2006, 08:52 PM   #13
Executive Chef

I grew up with an open kitchen and I never/very rarely closed mine.

When you have 2 boys, 6'3 and 6'5 who are athletes, they were hungry and I wasn't going ever stop them from eating.

Yeah, I had the rule, "Clean up after your snack". Their idea of cleaning up and mine were not even remotely related. But they had me wrapped around their little fingers.
Old 10-17-2006, 10:15 PM   #14
Certified Pretend Chef

I was always the biggest in the family and they learned quickly not to get between me and food. I usually had a snack (read - meal) before bedtime.

Now, I stop eating around 9:00 PM (dessert time).

When we have guests, all bets are off. If you're hungry, you get to eat.
Old 10-18-2006, 01:55 AM   #15
Assistant Cook

I guess I ruined mine as well, because the kitchen is never closed, and sometimes there are several of us in there at the same time, fixing things, but I enjoy that too. Anyone is welcome to use it at any time, but not messes are allowed to remain when they leave, or I'm not a happy camper. The kitchen has always been pretty much the heart of our home, with not only food being enjoyed there, but also, many family times, and a lot of just good ole conversations and listening to one another. I love that!!
Old 10-18-2006, 02:20 AM   #16
Executive Chef

Anything after dinner and dessert is usually an apple or other piece of fruit, although dh does keep a can of peanuts on a table by his chair. He said it brings down his sugar. It certainly takes a lot of peanuts to bring down his sugar!
Old 10-18-2006, 02:53 AM   #17
Senior Cook

Just like a man, Lina! My husband says that Planter's Honey Roasted Peanuts keep his nails from splitting.

Our kitchen never closes. After dinner, it's all clean and shiny for the next day, but sooner or later, one of us wants a snack.
Old 10-18-2006, 04:03 AM   #18
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Our kitchen is open around the clock. As a pair of staunch night owl (it is not unusual that the new day is breaking when we finally hit the sack), we may be having our supper around midnight, and occasionally we would be whipping up a cake or something at 2am...
Old 10-18-2006, 05:25 AM   #19
Sous Chef

Send a message via ICQ to Gossie Send a message via Yahoo to Gossie
It closes?
Old 10-18-2006, 07:08 AM   #20
Senior Cook

the main rule in our kitchen while we were growing up was:

"get it yourself!"

well, i'm only half joking, 'cause my mom usually worked most evenings. us kids, especially me as the oldest, grew up doing a lot of cooking. when we were really young, there were a lot "tv" dinners & chicken pot pies with frozen vegetables, graduating to macaroni & cheese, spaghetti with canned sauce, etc. by the time i was in highschool, i was able to cook fairly well, even trying bread and homemade spaghetti sauce.
there's never beena "kitchen's closed" period in my life. even now i find myself sometimes cooking in the wee hours, if i feel the urge for an apple pie or some cornbread.