"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-18-2006, 07:22 PM   #31
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
My kitchen never closes either, but after I plant my butt in my chair for the evening it becomes self serve.

When I was a kid we didn't have rules about food. If you wanted something, you ate. I had friends that called my house "food with a roof" because there was always such a smorgasbord of food available there. From that description you may have guessed that mine was the gathering place for the teens. I don't care what anyone says, if you want to know where your kids are and what they are doing just make sure there is a pile of appealing food and drink at your place and they will congregate there.

My Mom loved having all my friends over and fed us all no matter what time it was. My Dad was a bit like buckytom's, he didn't cook often, but when he did WHOOEE! Every pot got used and it was always a "masterpiece". (Frequently one that lasted all of about 10 seconds if my friends were around.) I remember once making homemade potato chips in the deep fryer somewhere around 11pm, and Dad shouting directions from his chair in the living room. LOL.

My house is a bit like that. When you arrive you get served appys, meal, drinks, snacks whatever. But after a while, you are one of us and you can go serve yourself. The kitchen is always stocked and the door is always open.

Vera, my mom insisted that after our Grad night we bring all our friends over for breakfast after the major party. She would make us pancakes or french toast, whatever we thought our alcohol abused tummies could take.
I have to admit, Alix, I'm like that with my kids, now. It's like you said, give them food, and you'll always know where they are. I know full well what my kids and their friends are up to in the basement. Honestly, I'd rather have them doing it in a safe home, staying still (aka not driving around), and eating during the party to help absorb whatever they've indulged in. My son is 21 now, my daughter will be 18 in two weeks. This house has been the house to go to for the past 4 and a half years. I wonder if they'll ever leave??

Old 10-19-2006, 09:43 PM   #32
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue
I have to admit, Alix, I'm like that with my kids, now. It's like you said, give them food, and you'll always know where they are. I know full well what my kids and their friends are up to in the basement. Honestly, I'd rather have them doing it in a safe home, staying still (aka not driving around), and eating during the party to help absorb whatever they've indulged in. My son is 21 now, my daughter will be 18 in two weeks. This house has been the house to go to for the past 4 and a half years. I wonder if they'll ever leave??
Do you really want them to? LOL, OK, SOMETIMES you do, but in the grand scheme of things, I don't think any of us really wants them to fly the coop forever. Good for you Vera, I'm going to emulate my parents with this one and ignore all the screaming parents of my kids friends who say I feed them too much crap food. BAH! Just because I don't bake everything with whole wheat flour and applesauce doesn't make my stuff BAD for you...does it?

Old 10-21-2006, 12:29 AM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

no mommy!

can we have some more?

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 02:08 AM   #34
Master Chef

My dad, a child of the of the Depression, was very proud of the fact that he could put meat on the table every night and he did not want to see any leftovers either. Apparently, meat was scarce for them back then and they ate a lot of the same meals. Yep, a vegetarian would have starved at our table!

My mom didn't care if we five foraged and cooked in the kitchen and as a result there were sometimes cooking mishaps. For example, my sister, who was 8 at the time, wanted a baked potato. Soon the smell of hydrocarbons and possibly carcinogenic molecules filled the air. Being out of foil, my sister had used the next best substitute to wrap her potato---plastic wrap. I, too, once filled the kitchen with smoke on an evening when my parents went out. After hiding the burnt, blackened, totally nuked pot at the back of a cupboard, I nonchalantly asked my Dad the next day if you needed oil to make popcorn. "Of course, you do-------Why?" "Just wondering," was my reply.