What to do about slipping on Ice in the Winter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joshatdot

Senior Cook
It's been snowing around here .. and got tired of slipping and falling on my ass on the ice:

dsc4152.jpg

+
dsc4154.jpg

+
dsc41650.jpg

=
dsc4170e.jpg

Josh, I am impressed--homemade 'cork' boots. I used to live out on the Olympic Peninsula (at Cook Creek Hatchery), and all the loggers wore caulked boots (called corks) so they could walk on downed logs.

Much better than two or three hundred bucks for a ready made pair.

All the little stores had signs on the front door that said "NO CORKS ALLOWED". And they all had torn up floors where loggers had ignored the signs.

I have ice cleats. They work well, but I seldom need them. I guess I learned to walk on ice. I bought them one winter when it didn't go above -30C (-22F) more than once for a month. That one time it went above -30C, it went up to 0 or +1C for just long enough to let everything melt and then dropped. OMG, the sidewalks were covered in a thick layer of very slick ice. You know it's really slippery when teenage boys are walking like grannies. :LOL:

I saw a postal carrier walking up and down the outside, spiral staircases that are common in Montreal. He was walking like it was summer. I asked him how he did it and he showed me the ice cleats. I had never seen ice cleats before. He didn't know where to buy them because his were issued by Canada Post as part of the uniform. He suggested trying a shoe maker's store. I tried that and got a pair. Not nearly as fancy as the ones bethzaring has, but they work.

I've got these
Stabilicers Ice Cleats Anti-skid Detachable Soles - GEMPLER'S
and have needed and used them on many occassions, seeing we get ice and have nary a square inch of level ground around here..

Beth, I have ordered a pair that are similar to these for my boots and runners. I also am getting an ice grip for the bottom of my cane! I won't be "slip sliding away" this winter! :)

BTW, nice job, Josh!!!! I showed my DH this and he was running for his drill to do this to my shoes, but I stopped him in his tracks as I need my shoes for indoor and outdoor use!

Yes, PF, those are more like I am getting. I never thought of two pair, but I have a large bag I can carry across my shoulder that holds all my necessities and leaves me with a free hand while I use my cane with the other. I have already picked which pocket they will fit into, in a large ZipLock freezer bag so if they are wet they won't dirty or reck the bag!

I hope they arrive soon, it is pretty icy still here!

If you go with this for your boots, you'd darn well better have a mudroom or a stone floored foyer to take them off. One trip across a hardwood floor and it would be all over!

Yes, PF, those are more like I am getting. I never thought of two pair, but I have a large bag I can carry across my shoulder that holds all my necessities and leaves me with a free hand while I use my cane with the other. I have already picked which pocket they will fit into, in a large ZipLock freezer bag so if they are wet they won't dirty or reck the bag!

I hope they arrive soon, it is pretty icy still here!

I thought of two pair after I left them in the car one day when it melted and I had taken them off. The next morning I had an icy drive to negotiate to get to my Yaktrax. The ones in my purse are just for that and they roll up tightly, will fit in a small ziplock bag.

I bought Shrek a spiked cane for the ice...he can also use it in the summer to pick up litter...:LOL:

If you go with this for your boots, you'd darn well better have a mudroom or a stone floored foyer to take them off. One trip across a hardwood floor and it would be all over!

And chew up carpet...but still a good idea for boots not worn inside.

Right next to the door is a rug for the door, and just to the right of the rug is the Office/Computer room .. which is where I usually domain & take on/off these boots :)

Your boot idea is brilliant! Do you get enough ice each winter to justify "hob-nailed" boots? It you get to wear them regulary all winter, fantastic!:)

I pretty much only wear these boots during winter, for the traction & they are warmer than my Nike trainers. If I need to use them for non Ice/Winter reasons, just takes a few mins to take out the screws :)

I pretty much only wear these boots during winter, for the traction & they are warmer than my Nike trainers. If I need to use them for non Ice/Winter reasons, just takes a few mins to take out the screws :)

No damage to the integrity of the inner soles? Be careful that your weight does not compress the soles until you have screw points drilling into your feet.

My husband and I bought something called, I believe, "yak tracks" that you can pull over your regular winter shoes and boots.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom