"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 09-25-2008, 02:08 PM   #1
Head Chef
What to do in Boston?

Fourteen of us are planning a trip to Boston and New York on Wed. October 1. The travel agent has the whole trip planned but we can go off on our own if we want to. On one of the days they've planned a tour of the Salem Witch Dungeon, the Pirate Museum etc. Four of us want to do something else. Here's where you come in:

I would like to hear from anyone who lives in the Boston area or has visited Boston and tell me what we shouldn't miss. We are already doing the Aquarium, a City tour, a Fall Foliage Cruise, a day trip to Martha's Vineyard and of course Fannuiel Hall. Give me some idea of a fun thing to see or do in place of the witch and pirate museums. Is the Duck trip worthwhile?

Thanks in advance.

Visit my blogsite: Chew On This
DramaQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 02:20 PM   #2
Traveling Welcome Wagon
We enjoyed the Duck boat tour we went on.

You should eat at Durgin Park (check the We Met QSis--something like that--thread.

If you want the phone number for a great cab driver, just PM me. He can't fit all 14 of you, but if just a few of you want to go somewhere, he is a great guy. He charges a set fee.

Also, to save on hotel charges, we stayed in Quincy, which is just outside of Boston.

Oh yes, if you are interested in history, Plimouth Plantation is nearby. We didn't get a chance to go there, but I have used their website to teach my classes about the pilgrims.

Barbara L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 03:08 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef
A short walk from Fanuel Hall are the waterfront and the North End where a lot of very good Italian restaurants, shops and bakeries can be found.

A couple of subway stops from the marketplace you will find the Boston Public Gardens and Boston Common. Great parks with lots of greenery. They were designed by Frederic Law Olmsted (designer of Central Park in NYC ) as part of an "Emerald Necklace" around Boston.

You could also visit the USS Constitution and Bunker Hill Monument while in town.

Harbor and whale watching cruises are also available.
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 03:11 PM   #4
Head Chef
DQ, the entire month of October is HUGE in Salem, which is a beautiful, quaint seaport town.

If you don't want to go to the museums that the agent has booked for you there, you may just want to walk around the town and it's whacky shops, have lunch at an outdoor harborside restaurant, and people-watch. There are many exhibits to see and interesting things to buy. I highly recommend a trip to Salem in October.

You are planning a lot of great things to do in the area already, but the Museum of Science is always a fascinating take.

You might be able to take in a play in the Theater District.

Some friends and I are dying to go to a show called "5 Wits" Boston's Most Interactive Entertainment Experience! where you are part of the action. As soon as we can coordinate our schedules, we'll be doing this.

Have a wonderful time!

QSis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 03:53 PM   #5
Head Chef
There is always Newbury St. for some high end shopping.
elaine l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 04:03 PM   #6
Sous Chef
Although I've never been to Boston, I don't think the trip would be complete without a visit to the baked bean factory!
Mess with me and you mess with the whole trailer park!!!
smoke king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 04:22 PM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef
One of the best in the country.
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 04:41 PM   #8
Master Chef
How about a tea party?
texasgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 06:16 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
I haven't been there since I was 10, and I may have been a huge nerd, but even then it struck me as so cool....
We took the red line walking tour through all the historic sites of Boston.
I don't know if it's still there, I'm sure it is...
Just the most amazing thing for an American History nerd, born to an even bigger American History nerd!!!
Not that there's anything wrong with that.....
suziquzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 06:48 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire
I'm surprised nobody suggested a short drive to Gillette Stadium and helping contribute to the Tom Brady Memorial.

Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote