What to do in Boston?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DramaQueen

Head Chef
Fourteen of us are planning a trip to Boston and New York on Wed. October 1. The travel agent has the whole trip planned but we can go off on our own if we want to. On one of the days they've planned a tour of the Salem Witch Dungeon, the Pirate Museum etc. Four of us want to do something else. Here's where you come in:

I would like to hear from anyone who lives in the Boston area or has visited Boston and tell me what we shouldn't miss. We are already doing the Aquarium, a City tour, a Fall Foliage Cruise, a day trip to Martha's Vineyard and of course Fannuiel Hall. Give me some idea of a fun thing to see or do in place of the witch and pirate museums. Is the Duck trip worthwhile?

Thanks in advance.

We enjoyed the Duck boat tour we went on.

You should eat at Durgin Park (check the We Met QSis--something like that--thread.

If you want the phone number for a great cab driver, just PM me. He can't fit all 14 of you, but if just a few of you want to go somewhere, he is a great guy. He charges a set fee.

Also, to save on hotel charges, we stayed in Quincy, which is just outside of Boston.

Oh yes, if you are interested in history, Plimouth Plantation is nearby. We didn't get a chance to go there, but I have used their website to teach my classes about the pilgrims.

:)Barbara

A short walk from Fanuel Hall are the waterfront and the North End where a lot of very good Italian restaurants, shops and bakeries can be found.

A couple of subway stops from the marketplace you will find the Boston Public Gardens and Boston Common. Great parks with lots of greenery. They were designed by Frederic Law Olmsted (designer of Central Park in NYC ) as part of an "Emerald Necklace" around Boston.

You could also visit the USS Constitution and Bunker Hill Monument while in town.

Harbor and whale watching cruises are also available.

DQ, the entire month of October is HUGE in Salem, which is a beautiful, quaint seaport town.

If you don't want to go to the museums that the agent has booked for you there, you may just want to walk around the town and it's whacky shops, have lunch at an outdoor harborside restaurant, and people-watch. There are many exhibits to see and interesting things to buy. I highly recommend a trip to Salem in October.

You are planning a lot of great things to do in the area already, but the Museum of Science is always a fascinating take.

You might be able to take in a play in the Theater District.

Some friends and I are dying to go to a show called "5 Wits" Boston's Most Interactive Entertainment Experience! where you are part of the action. As soon as we can coordinate our schedules, we'll be doing this.

Have a wonderful time!

Lee

Although I've never been to Boston, I don't think the trip would be complete without a visit to the baked bean factory!:LOL:

I haven't been there since I was 10, and I may have been a huge nerd, but even then it struck me as so cool....
We took the red line walking tour through all the historic sites of Boston.
I don't know if it's still there, I'm sure it is...
Just the most amazing thing for an American History nerd, born to an even bigger American History nerd!!!

I'm surprised nobody suggested a short drive to Gillette Stadium and helping contribute to the Tom Brady Memorial.
:LOL:

I haven't been there since I was 10, and I may have been a huge nerd, but even then it struck me as so cool....
We took the red line walking tour through all the historic sites of Boston.
I don't know if it's still there, I'm sure it is...
Just the most amazing thing for an American History nerd, born to an even bigger American History nerd!!!

DH and I did that when we went 8 or so years ago. It was a lot of fun :) We also saw the Constitution and ate in a couple different Italian restaurants in the North End - that was the first time I had lobster ravioli - absolutely fell in love.

We went to Salem, too, and really enjoyed it. We stumbled on a re-creation of a witch trial, which was very interesting, and the dungeon was pretty spooky. Nice town.

The red line history tour was great. We did it last year with the kids on a hot summer day ( wish it were spring or fall). Took u throughout boston, the whole paul revere things ....

Also did the plimout plantation which was like stepping back a few hundred years.

These are great suggestions. We are already seeing some of the things suggested, Plimouth Plantation, the sightseeing bus tour, Bunker Hill, North End etc. but seeing Salem is something we'd enjoy. I've made a note of several suggestions and funny thing, several people I've talked to have strongly suggested Durgin Park, but the agents have already selected the Union Oyster House.
Keep the suggestions coming. And thanks again for the responses.

You'll enjoy the Union Oyster House. Ask to see the booth where President Kennedy spent Sunday mornings.

Union Oyster House is wonderful, too. Excellent food and architecture. Much better clam chowder than Durgin Park.

Lee

Back
Top Bottom