"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-20-2016, 01:32 PM   #1
Senior Cook

What to do with 100 lbs of taters??

My dad has a friend with a trucking company. One of his trucks had an accident with a load of potatoes on. I ended up with 100 lbs. Ive had them in my back room in the basement for a couple of months now. they are starting to grow. In need to do something pretty quick. I just blanched and froze 30 lbs. I don't want to can them. Any other ideas?

Old 03-20-2016, 02:16 PM   #2
Master Chef

Hi Jon, nice to see you again. To bad you kept those spuds too long. Plain potatoes don't freeze well so if you don't want to can them I'd give away what you can't use.
Before long, they'll be ready for the compost pile.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 02:17 PM   #3
Head Chef

Wow, that's a lot of potatoes.
If you have a bunch of large square/rectangular dehydrators you could blanch slices and dry them, or blanch and shred them and dry or freeze them.

It's getting to the time of year very soon to plant potatoes, so you could take some of them that are growing and plant them in ruts, then hill the dirt up around them. You really are a farmer, yes? You could package the growing one's in 5 lb containers for smaller gardeners to buy them for seed?
Old 03-20-2016, 02:47 PM   #4
Master Chef

Nice to see ya!

If you knock the sprouts off of them they will last a little longer.

I agree with blissful, share them with your friends and neighbors, you will get more than a hundred pounds of potatoes in return!

Cast your bread upon the waters, for you will find it after many days.
Old 03-20-2016, 02:55 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Hi, Jon! Give them to CharlieD! He could use them up in a couple of Friday dinners for the temple!
Old 03-20-2016, 03:00 PM   #6
Master Chef

Not to mention there's nothing like the stink of rotting potatoes.

Don't ask how I know.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 03:54 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
Nice to see ya!

If you knock the sprouts off of them they will last a little longer.

I agree with blissful, share them with your friends and neighbors, you will get more than a hundred pounds of potatoes in return!

Cast your bread upon the waters, for you will find it after many days.
I know you shouldn't, but I store mine in my less moisture crisper drawer in the fridge. In the winter, due to age, I keep my apartment quite warm. There is no cool place. I keep an eye on them and should I see any sprouting, I immediately knock the sprouts off and it does stave off going soft.

But 100 lbs? I would make new friends real quick and make my neighbors very happy.
Old 03-21-2016, 07:45 AM   #8
Senior Cook

I plan of planting a bunch of them.

I didn't know if I had to blanch them before dehydrating them. I was thinking about trying to dehydrate to make instant potatoes.

Some of you may remember that my son has many food allergies. He can eat taters and he loves them. We buy instant just for him. He will want a snack and grab a potato. Instant is faster. 2 year olds are not known for patience.

I know the stink of Rotten potatoes very well. In my trucking days I hauled a load that had gone bad at a warehouse. My trailer stunk for weeks.

Thanks everyone. I will try not to be gone so long next time.
Old 03-21-2016, 08:05 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Jon View Post
I plan of planting a bunch of them.

I didn't know if I had to blanch them before dehydrating them. I was thinking about trying to dehydrate to make instant potatoes.

Some of you may remember that my son has many food allergies. He can eat taters and he loves them. We buy instant just for him. He will want a snack and grab a potato. Instant is faster. 2 year olds are not known for patience.

I know the stink of Rotten potatoes very well. In my trucking days I hauled a load that had gone bad at a warehouse. My trailer stunk for weeks.

Thanks everyone. I will try not to be gone so long next time.
Yes Jon. We have missed you. I realize that planting time is coming. And in the Fall it is time for harvest. But somewhere in between please do drop in and let us know how you are doing. We really missed you.
Old 03-21-2016, 02:14 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Do you like potato gnocchi? How about kartoffelklosse (German potato dumplings about the size of a baseball) or rellenos de papa (latino stuffed potato dumplings)? Once any of these are cooked they freeze well.