"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-27-2012, 11:12 PM   #91
Sous Chef

To Mrs.......

With me currently being out of work and DH's paycheck half of what it was a year ago, I am trying to keep meals at $20-25 per dinner for 3 mouths. Doable?? Yes of course. Add to that a daughter that only wants potatoes for starch, makes it that much more challenging. Asking DH to help in the planning or prep is a joke in itself, just not gonna happen. I can accept this in our marriage. But constant complaining of what is put down in front of him is rude and not acceptable to me on any level. Oh, and did I mention that he NEVER washes a dish or even takes one off the table?? EVER, not kidding.

Old 01-27-2012, 11:21 PM   #92
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Honey, you are doing great! Kids' tastes change, and you've taken a big step to curb your DH's whining. How stressful, trying so hard to please the ungrateful. No worries, nobody's gonna starve. Just keep cooking!

Old 01-27-2012, 11:43 PM   #93
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
It's either that or make some room in the freezer!

I can't wait for CSI Missoula!
<shriek>
Old 01-27-2012, 11:55 PM   #94
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Sorry, I do tend to come off dark and mean...but I do say what's on my mind. I would rather someone laugh about me getting an impossible double indemnity clause for Shrek, than keep it all bottled in and actually planning to do it. I just thought it was funny that the same day Shrek and I had a laugh over it in the car, someone wanted to know what to do about a whiny husband.

First and foremost, anytime I rag Shrek here on these forums, we've already gone over it for real in our life, there is nothing I say here that I would not say to him. Second of all, I wouldn't trade him for anything, besides... I'm too lazy to train another. How many girrrls have the chance to marry their Ogre?
Old 01-28-2012, 12:01 AM   #95
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Sorry, I do tend to come off dark and mean...but I do say what's on my mind. I would rather someone laugh about me getting an impossible double indemnity clause for Shrek, than keep it all bottled in and actually planning to do it. I just thought it was funny that the same day Shrek and I had a laugh over it in the car, someone wanted to know what to do about a whiny husband.

First and foremost, anytime I rag Shrek here on these forums, we've already gone over it for real in our life, there is nothing I say here that I would not say to him. Second of all, I wouldn't trade him for anything, besides... I'm too lazy to train another. How many girrrls have the chance to marry their Ogre?
You gave us our laugh for the day. And we ran with it. Shrek sounds like a gem. I married rocks.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:15 AM   #96
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
You gave us our laugh for the day. And we ran with it. Shrek sounds like a gem. I married rocks.
He is, Addie. He even bought me what I told him I wanted for my Valentine's Day Present.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:58 AM   #97
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zereh View Post
I don't have time for ungrateful and mean people. There's no way I'd ever be able to have a battle about or over food with an ADULT every day of the week. I'd kick his sorry ass to the curb ... <3 but that's just how I am.
I like your post I would do the same thing
Old 01-28-2012, 04:08 PM   #98
Executive Chef

I guess you could whine back (makes me think of Doug and Wendy Whiner).

Seriously though, I am sorry that you are feeling the way you are. He should be treating you like a queen. Just the simple act of my DH putting both his plate and mine in the kitchen after we eat goes a very long way. I am spoiled.
Old 01-28-2012, 07:09 PM   #99
Chef Extraordinaire

When I was raising my granddaughter, she was in the habit of whing for everything. Drove me crazy. So I would stop her in about her third word and make her ask me in a normal voice. Sometimes it took three or four tries, but after a couple of weeks she got the knack of not whining and would ask for something in a normal voice. I am not fond of whiny kids.
Old 01-28-2012, 07:28 PM   #100
Everymom

Certainly no one deserves to be treated rudely. Ever. There are lots of things you COULD do, just remember that reacting and responding are two very different things. If you just react to his whining, things will go in a circle, you'll both feel upset at one another and it never ends. If you respond by trying to figure out what is behind all of it, he will feel better because you listened to him and you will feel better as well.

Don't make the mistake of treating him like your child, he's not, even though he might be acting like a child. Perhaps if you made some very small changes that allow him more control over his meals he won't have so much cause to complain. It may mean slightly more work for you, but sometimes the smallest changes yield the biggest results. Continue to serve your daughter her portion on her plate, but put the rest of your wonderful cooking out on the table and let your husband serve himself. That way, he can take as much of whatever he wants and leave what he doesn't. It might be a nice lesson for your daughter too, she could learn proper portion control that way.

Good luck PT. Again, I'm sorry you've had to deal with this crankiness. I hope you can figure out a way to get it all resolved.