"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-29-2012, 07:32 AM   #111
Chef Extraordinaire

Well said Claire. Not all men are abominable animals. Most are even human. With all the human foibles.

Old 01-29-2012, 08:08 AM   #112
Senior Cook

I would sit him down for a Looooooong polite and gentle talk.... about cooking, about whose responsibility is each and every meal....about how I like to cook, about being kind to the cook, and how to inspire cooking confidence in someone who prepares a meal for you, about appreciation.....yaknow?.....all those fine qualities which make any relationship a good one.

Old 01-29-2012, 09:05 AM   #113
Chef Extraordinaire

I think I've mentioned that I don't make spaghetti often. I ate it every Monday night growing up. I really don't like spaghetti. But, when I'm doing "eldercare," and my dad requests spaghetti, I make it. I was really hurt last time when I made it--he went on and on about how my spaghetti sauce was so much better than my mom's. I make it like my mom did but I use only fresh ingredients. I was hurt because even though she has dementia, I could tell that she was really hurt. She had been making spaghetti sauce for him for more than 50 years, once a week. Truth be told, her fondness of spaghetti sauce probably equals mine...

I have a meal I'm going to introduce to their rotation this time when I'm there--Rachel Ray's chicken breasts marinated with salsa and spanish rice marinated with salsa. Both are very easy and something my dad could make (and would like because he likes spanish rice). I hadn't watched her meals for a week (or whatever it is called before), but I think I should make my dad sit down and watch some Food Network TV with me this time...since he is now in charge of cooking (and not very good at it).

PT--maybe you could get your husband to watch some of the foodie shows with you...and as far as breading/frying goes, how about oven frying some chicken using cornflakes for the breading?
Old 01-29-2012, 10:15 AM   #114
Sous Chef

A standard recipe in my household is Chicken Schnitzel, Everyone loves it, breaded, fried for him, with a squeeze of lemon on top for me and the DD. AND it is a meal in minutes. Best of all worlds food wise in this house, but I get tired of having it more than once every few weeks.
Old 01-29-2012, 04:33 PM   #115
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolishedTopaz View Post
A standard recipe in my household is Chicken Schnitzel, Everyone loves it, breaded, fried for him, with a squeeze of lemon on top for me and the DD. AND it is a meal in minutes. Best of all worlds food wise in this house, but I get tired of having it more than once every few weeks.
Now that sounds like a yummy happy meal .. wtg !!
Old 01-29-2012, 05:06 PM   #116
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
PT--maybe you could get your husband to watch some of the foodie shows with you
This cracked me up.......as stated in the OP I stopped cooking for 4+ years, BUT, I always watched the cooking shows {new trends n all} DH could not understand WHY watch these things if not cooking at all.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:16 PM   #117
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolishedTopaz View Post
This cracked me up.......as stated in the OP I stopped cooking for 4+ years, BUT, I always watched the cooking shows {new trends n all} DH could not understand WHY watch these things if not cooking at all.
It is called "virtual" cooking--sort of like reading what everyone else has had for dinner when you're eating microwave popcorn...