"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-25-2012, 11:37 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolishedTopaz

He managed to make raw and burnt eggs over easy in the same dish with the same eggs. A real accomplishment Even he didn't eat them.
Did you eat them and say they were great so he would cook again???

Old 01-25-2012, 11:40 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolishedTopaz

He managed to make raw and burnt eggs over easy in the same dish with the same eggs. A real accomplishment Even he didn't eat them.
When my kids were boy scouts they were good cooks but some of the other boys struggled. My favorite was when my son came home from a campout talking about "Oreo pancakes."; black on the outside, and still creamy in the inside. :D

Old 01-26-2012, 12:03 AM   #13
Executive Chef

I so want to reply to this thread. Because we all may have experienced this kind of thing in one way or another. All I can say is if you didn't cook for 4 years, don't wait so long next time. Hand him the spoon as soon as he opens his yap. Or turn up the volume on the kitchen radio. I have little wiggle room to talk tho. We got divorced, and it's been so long, I forget why, probably didn't just involve whining. We have learned a little bit about tolerance over the years, and can at least be in the same kitchen together, and even put together parts of the same dish. It's more productive and less elbows if we work at separate counters or at opposite ends of the table. I hope the Lip Service never quits, from either of us.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:23 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Well...the nice side of me says sit down on Sunday afternoons and plan the week's menu as a "team" activity. The mean side of me says "boot his arse" to the curb or tell him he's in charge of cooking and grocery shopping.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:45 AM   #15
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I feel for you as I don't think I could cook for someone who didn't appreciate it. You must feel very intimidated, but as hard as it must be, I'd turn a deaf ear to his whining and cook what you want to eat. He's a big boy who is capable of getting out the milk and a box of cereal, or he can always learn to cook what he likes.
I'm not intimidated, I Am Frustrated! And I do cook what I like, I laid down the law a week or so ago and said "Look.......it is rude to complain when someone cooks for you. I don't like it. It hurts my feelings. So KNOCK IT OFF, period" It worked well until last night. The thought and planning that went into the meal I cooked {not to mention the arguing with the manager at the supermarket} just pushed me over the edge for a minute.
The bright side......DD helped me cook {twas her BD dinner} and ate every bite.
Old 01-26-2012, 02:11 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zereh View Post
I don't have time for ungrateful and mean people...I'd kick his sorry ass to the curb ... <3 but that's just how I am.
lol, isn't that being mean?

i find it funny how mean women get when they're ability to be caretakers is doubted (deserved or not).

sort of a self fulfilling thing.

i wonder, does anyone celebrate march 14th, valentines day for guys?

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 02:27 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

My first husband was a pro chef. We had one rule. Whoever cooks, no complaints and the one not cooking, cleans up. It worked for the whole marriage. Fortunately I learned to cook as a child so did not come into the marriage empty headed.

Husband #2 was so grateful after being married to a Freezer Queen and eating food cooked on a fishing vessel for many years, no matter what I cooked, he thought was gourmet food. Even scratch pancakes were like heaven's clouds to him. He was a joy to cook for. In turn, he taught me how to filet a fish so there was minimal flesh on the frame when I was done. He also taught me a couple of shrimp dishes.

Oddly enough I outlived both husbands.
Old 01-26-2012, 02:34 AM   #18
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
lol, isn't that being mean?

i find it funny how mean women get when they're ability to be caretakers is doubted (deserved or not).

sort of a self fulfilling thing.

i wonder, does anyone celebrate march 14th, valentines day for guys?
There is absolutely nothing wrong with standing up for oneself. Nor for drawing a line in the sand about what's acceptable and what's not.

If you were being criticized for your work, in a similar manner, I'm sure you'd most certainly find a way to end it. Or you'd find a new job.

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 02:43 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

you missed the point of getting mean because you were critcized for not being nice. aww, forget it.

but i wouldn't be bitter about it, and then proud of the fact that i simply had self respect. you don't have to be an ass to stand up for yourself. it can be done gracefully, internally. that's what counts, not the drama.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 05:48 AM   #20
Cook

Toss him some cheese, to go with his whine.

In all seriousness; don't do anything for him. If you can, eat a bigger meal at
lunchtime, then for dinner just have a couple of Apples, or Oranges, or
Bananas, with some Cottage Cheese, and maybe some Carrot sticks.
When he gets hungry enough he'll figure out how to fix something for himself.