What to do with a whiny husband??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow .. onto page 9 and I guess I was wrong to think this person really wanted some help. It looks now like this was just a joke since things sound rather mean and rude. I thought this person really wanted some help with an issue. So disregard my input earlier and thanks for the dark humor here.

Wow .. onto page 9 and I guess I was wrong to think this person really wanted some help. It looks now like this was just a joke since things sound rather mean and rude. I thought this person really wanted some help with an issue. So disregard my input earlier and thanks for the dark humor here.

I DID ask for help, and thanks to these folks and you as well I got the advice that I needed. And support I needed. Fionas joke was just that a JOKE {i think:mrgreen:} And if you can't laugh at yourself and/or others well....life looses just a bit of joy.

UPDATE, all he whined about last night was the unsalted butter for his bread. TOUGH NOOGIES.

Making lemon pepper pork tonight and bok choy, he doesn't LIKE bok choy I love the stuff, it will still go on his plate. TOUGHER NOOGIES:angel:

Last edited:
I DID ask for help, and thanks to these folks I got the advice that I needed. And support I needed. Fionas joke was just that a JOKE {i think:mrgreen:} And if you can't laugh at yourself and/or others well....life looses just a bit of joy.

UPDATE, all he whined about last night was the unsalted butter for his bread. TOUGH NOOGIES.

Making lemon pepper pork tonight and bok choy, he doesn't LIKE bok choy I love the stuff, it will still go on his plate. TOUGHER NOOGIES:angel:,
I assume he knows how to use a salt shaker and can shake some salt on his own bread. Personally, I love unsalted butter. Good for you making want to eat. He can always dig around in the freezer/fridge if he is still hungry or doesn't like what you made. And, tell him to put a sock in it if he starts whining. You could try sitting down on Sunday with the week's grocery ads and planning next week's menus as a "team." My DH and I read the grocery ads every Saturday a.m. It is our ritual...

CWS........
Truth be told since I was laid off in Oct, I hit the market daily. Thinking I was Italian in another life. Call me a "fly by the seat of the pants cook" I don't plan {for the most part}. I just decided what to make tonight about a 1/2 hour ago. It's what I am in the mood for.
:chef:

Last edited:
CWS........
Truth be told since I was laid off in Oct, I hit the market daily. Thinking I was Italian in another life. Call me a "fly by the seat of the pants cook" I don't plan {for the most part}. I just decided what to make tonight about a 1/2 hour ago. It's what I am in the mood for.
Well, maybe if he thought he were part of the planning process, he might not whine so much. I too cook by the seat of my pants, but we have a lot of staples on hand, so I rarely have to buy something to pull something together. And, I do cook that which I am in the mood to eat. Fortunately, the DH is like a "pig with wings," (he actually has said he was going to go out in the barn and eat with the chickens when I made up a veggie-rice combo from leftovers for the ladies). He eats darned near everything and hasn't decided that he could be like Dawg's DH, a couch potato food critic. He just utters "this is delicious" or "this is fantastic." He knows better than to say something is better than ... fill in the blank. For that, he got stabbed in the arm with a fork...didn't think of smothering him with a pillow...:LOL:

Last edited:
I DID ask for help, and thanks to these folks and you as well I got the advice that I needed. And support I needed. Fionas joke was just that a JOKE {i think:mrgreen:} And if you can't laugh at yourself and/or others well....life looses just a bit of joy.

Making lemon pepper pork tonight and bok choy, he doesn't LIKE bok choy I love the stuff, it will still go on his plate. TOUGHER NOOGIES:angel:

Ok .. I am really glad you got some good stuff out of this.

Oh yeah .. I can take a joke .. and as you say ... you need a laugh even if it's at yourself !

I agree with CWS ... make him part of the process.

Rather than aggravate a situation, find a middle ground. If he hates bok choy, why give it to him? Give him something he likes and you enjoy your bok choy.

I detest brussel sprouts .. hubby hates broccoli ... I cook them both .. it only takes one extra little step and that way we are both happy.

Think about how it would feel if the situation was reversed .. would you be happy having stuff forced at you?

I always try to remember to think of how it would feel if the roles were reversed ... treat someone as you would want to be treated.

But that's my thing .. I love my husband and I just can't see a reason that makes any sense to not try to makes things as comfortable as possible for him .. and in return he does the same for me .. and life is awesome !

Good luck with your dinner problems .. I do hope they work out in a positive way for both of you !

Hey, PT...do you serve the food on the plates or just put all the food out and let folks serve themselves? Maybe if you put the food out and he served his own plate he'd be happier?

Just a thought.

Depends, if I am feeling lazy and craving crap :LOL: I make tacos from the box stuff, he serves himself. Generally I plate the food, less mess and I can control everybodys portions, This is important when I make my DD's favorite potatoes, left to her own devices she would eat the whole panful.:pig:

To Mrs.......

With me currently being out of work and DH's paycheck half of what it was a year ago, I am trying to keep meals at $20-25 per dinner for 3 mouths. Doable?? Yes of course. Add to that a daughter that only wants potatoes for starch, makes it that much more challenging. Asking DH to help in the planning or prep is a joke in itself, just not gonna happen. I can accept this in our marriage. But constant complaining of what is put down in front of him is rude and not acceptable to me on any level. Oh, and did I mention that he NEVER washes a dish or even takes one off the table?? EVER, not kidding.

Honey, you are doing great! Kids' tastes change, and you've taken a big step to curb your DH's whining. How stressful, trying so hard to please the ungrateful. No worries, nobody's gonna starve. Just keep cooking!

Sorry, I do tend to come off dark and mean...but I do say what's on my mind. I would rather someone laugh about me getting an impossible double indemnity clause for Shrek, than keep it all bottled in and actually planning to do it. I just thought it was funny that the same day Shrek and I had a laugh over it in the car, someone wanted to know what to do about a whiny husband.

First and foremost, anytime I rag Shrek here on these forums, we've already gone over it for real in our life, there is nothing I say here that I would not say to him. Second of all, I wouldn't trade him for anything, besides... I'm too lazy to train another. How many girrrls have the chance to marry their Ogre?

Sorry, I do tend to come off dark and mean...but I do say what's on my mind. I would rather someone laugh about me getting an impossible double indemnity clause for Shrek, than keep it all bottled in and actually planning to do it. I just thought it was funny that the same day Shrek and I had a laugh over it in the car, someone wanted to know what to do about a whiny husband.

First and foremost, anytime I rag Shrek here on these forums, we've already gone over it for real in our life, there is nothing I say here that I would not say to him. Second of all, I wouldn't trade him for anything, besides... I'm too lazy to train another. How many girrrls have the chance to marry their Ogre?

You gave us our laugh for the day. And we ran with it. Shrek sounds like a gem. I married rocks. :ermm:

I don't have time for ungrateful and mean people. There's no way I'd ever be able to have a battle about or over food with an ADULT every day of the week. I'd kick his sorry ass to the curb ... <3 but that's just how I am.
I like your post I would do the same thing:LOL:

I guess you could whine back (makes me think of Doug and Wendy Whiner).

Seriously though, I am sorry that you are feeling the way you are. He should be treating you like a queen. Just the simple act of my DH putting both his plate and mine in the kitchen after we eat goes a very long way. I am spoiled.

When I was raising my granddaughter, she was in the habit of whing for everything. Drove me crazy. So I would stop her in about her third word and make her ask me in a normal voice. Sometimes it took three or four tries, but after a couple of weeks she got the knack of not whining and would ask for something in a normal voice. I am not fond of whiny kids. :chef:

Certainly no one deserves to be treated rudely. Ever. There are lots of things you COULD do, just remember that reacting and responding are two very different things. If you just react to his whining, things will go in a circle, you'll both feel upset at one another and it never ends. If you respond by trying to figure out what is behind all of it, he will feel better because you listened to him and you will feel better as well.

Don't make the mistake of treating him like your child, he's not, even though he might be acting like a child. Perhaps if you made some very small changes that allow him more control over his meals he won't have so much cause to complain. It may mean slightly more work for you, but sometimes the smallest changes yield the biggest results. Continue to serve your daughter her portion on her plate, but put the rest of your wonderful cooking out on the table and let your husband serve himself. That way, he can take as much of whatever he wants and leave what he doesn't. It might be a nice lesson for your daughter too, she could learn proper portion control that way.

Good luck PT. Again, I'm sorry you've had to deal with this crankiness. I hope you can figure out a way to get it all resolved.

Back
Top Bottom