What to do with stray kitty.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

babetoo

Chef Extraordinaire
i can't bring into house, it might be carrying some bug that i want thomas to catch. :ohmy: to be about three months old, a handsome little siamese with big blue eyes. it had been hanging around all day meowing all the time.

finally i gave in and gave it food and water. kitty really devoured it all.

i don't know what to do about it. no collar. hate to call humane society. but on the other hand it might have a chip.

guess i could just feed and water it and not let it in the house.

what would you do?

Let it in to a closed off room and keep it separate for a bit. Either call the vet and ask them to come scan it or take it in. (I know thats tough for you) Some expense would not bother me. I love siamese! What color are his points?

We had a stray attach herself to us at Thanksgiving last year. After feeding for three days I took her to the shelter.

Three weeks later they called and told us she was scheduled to be put down so I went back an adopted her. Yeah, I had to pay the fee ($65).

The upside is the shelter did all the tests and had her spayed before we brought her back home to mingle with the incumbent kitty. They seem to get along better everyday (did I type that with a straight face) :)

I am so glad I don't live close to you otherwise I'd be adding another to my collection. I have 2 inside kitties that I adopted, they were declawed before I got them (I don't believe in it myself) and I have 4 outside kitties. All 4 outside kitties wandered in and made themselves at home in our barn with the horses. They are allowed to stay if they agree to be spayed or neutered. We have some of the best rodent control in the area.
Some veterinarians have the scanners also and may be able to see if he/she has been chipped. But as you said, don't expose it to your kitties unless it's been tested first.

well i guess i officially have another cat. it stuck around all night and slept in the bed i put out for it. this am i feed it and gave fresh water. it yowel so sadly at the door, that i just gave in and let him in. he and thomas are doing well together. actually they were nose to nose through the screen door. so disease would be transmitted anyway. am i rationalizing, you bet. i named him Charlie cause he just looks like a Charlie, sorta laid back. both cats are in the coolest spots that they can find. i saw him sniffing around the litter box but didn't actually see him use it. no messes so far. so say hello to Charlie

How wonderful! I received a stray Siamese with amazing blue eyes a few years ago. She is the light of my life, well after DH. Love Charlie's name. Mine's name is Caffiene Latte' Du Cappuchino, we call her Latte'. When she was a baby she looked like a cup of coffee with the cream just poured in, cream colored swirled with brown. Now she's a perfect Chocolate Point. Thanks for loving this kitty!!!

Let it in to a closed off room and keep it separate for a bit. Either call the vet and ask them to come scan it or take it in. (I know thats tough for you) Some expense would not bother me. I love siamese! What color are his points?

sorry, i meant to answer you, but i forgot. charlie is a cream color on his body moving into coffee color then into to black on his face, tail and feet. have no clue as to what he might be called. gonna research and find out. if you know, please tell me.

Likely a chocolate point or a seal point. Seal points can be almost blue black. Chocolate points are dark but usually not BLACK if you know what I mean. I grew up with siamese boys and they are the most loving (albeit occasionally neurotic) kitties going. I think you will be happy with the new addition

Likely a chocolate point or a seal point. Seal points can be almost blue black. Chocolate points are dark but usually not BLACK if you know what I mean. I grew up with siamese boys and they are the most loving (albeit occasionally neurotic) kitties going. I think you will be happy with the new addition

did a little research and charlie is traditional siamese. does that sound right to you. i had a seal point for 16 years before thomas. they are very loving and usually fix on the owner. charlie jumps in my lap almost every time i sit down. thomas is sorta aloof but that is ok. it is just his personality. charlie just tried to jump from floor to my shoulder.he was checking out the computer but hitting keyboard. will have to teach him some manners. lol

By "traditional" I think you might mean what they also call "apple head" siamese? Kind of a rounder head? Lots of the siamese breeders now are breeding for a very long sleek and narrow head. Seal point, chocolate point, red point, lilac point all refer to the color of their points. Their ears, nose, feet and tail.

Yes, Charlie sounds just like my Latte'. The best kitty ever! She now looks like a robust dark roast with a bit of cream added in.

By "traditional" I think you might mean what they also call "apple head" siamese? Kind of a rounder head? Lots of the siamese breeders now are breeding for a very long sleek and narrow head. Seal point, chocolate point, red point, lilac point all refer to the color of their points. Their ears, nose, feet and tail.

charlie has the thin face, thomas and charlie are still checking each other out. thomas has hissed at him a couple of times. charlie backs off. he seems to know thomas is head cat.

charlie is just a clown. thomas was not a playful kitten. this guy chases an old ball. picks it up in his mouth and carries it all over. funny to watch him. :LOL:

I apologize if I missed something here, but did you check with the Humane Society, animal catchers or any vets in your area to see if anyone reported a missing kitty? Did you check to see if they will do a free scan for a chip? I know several people who have house kitties and do not put collars on them. The reason is that they could strangle themselves if they jumped off of something and their collar gets hooked on something.

I ask this for your sake and the sake of a potential owner who may be searching for their beloved kitty. There may be a heartbroken family out there. You could be heartbroken if you eventually find out this kitty belongs to someone else a few weeks from now.

My daughter struggled with the idea of putting a collar on her kitty for the reasons above. Also, the kitty could have had a break away collar and that's why there is no collar on it.

It doesn't sound like the kitty is a ferel by the way you have described it. That makes me think that he has had a previous owner. It could have slipped out of a house, a car during a vet trip, etc. Of course, I don't like to think of the alternative either, that someone just discarded the little guy off on the street.

Try not to get too attached until you have done everything possible to find the kitty's previous owner. Check with your local paper. There may be an ad in the lost and found or they may allow you to place a free ad in the paper for a "Kitty Found."

I was at my vet's office yesterday and he had a bulletin board filled with lost cats and dogs. If you try your best to find the owner and no one comes forward in a few weeks, then you can welcome the little guy into your heart and home and have peace that you did everything possible to find his previous owner.

I know that if any of my pets had lost a collar and someone found them, I could only hope and pray that they would do that for me. I would be absolutely devastated if I became separated from either of my dogs.

Best wishes to you both!

gracie, no i did none of those things. no i am not going to. no notice has been put anywhere in my mobil home park, not on board in the office. he was here outside for three days and no one came looking for a lost kitten. i sure went looking and asked everyone i saw if they had seen thomas , once when he got out. this kitty was just dumped , i am sure of it. other than what i have done, i am doing no more. if there is an owner that wants him, they should have taken better care of him. i let him in, he is comfortable and i am keeping him. if that makes me a bad guy then so be it.

Congrats regarding Charlie! It doesn't take long to get attached, does it? I'm so happy we have both of our kitties. I should have your Thomas teach ours how to be nice to each other though! They are tolerant of each other.....usually. :)

~Kathleen

My post wasn't to imply that you are a bad person. So please, let's get that out of the way. I merely was replying with my opinion to your post, "What to do with stray kitty?" I was answering your question with what I would do, my opinion.I think you have a big heart and have fallen in love with this little fellow.

While there is a chance that the kitten was dumped, there is also a chance that it was "not". I don't believe that checking with a few neighbors in your mobile home park is enough. No one is perfect, equipment is not perfect and if that kitty by chance escaped from a collar or a carrier by someone passing through town, someone who doesn't know the area well, staying with friends, families moving, someone taking their kitty to the vet, etc., your mobile home park is not a wide enough search area for you to cover and it is possible the owner does "not even know to look there." The owners could be frantically searching for this little guy all around you. They could have lost their pet miles from where you live. This also doesn't make them irresponsible. It could just be bad luck that this animal escaped from things I mentioned above. That is why I would be reporting it to the local animal shelter, the police, local vet offices and such. These are the first places I would be calling if I lost my beloved pet hoping someone reported that they found them. After all, if you lost Thomas again, and you couldn't find him in the mobile home park, wouldn't you be calling these places in case he wandered further away from home than you would have expected?

My suggestion is what I would hope someone would do for me if God forbid my pet slipped out of my grip, or my child's grip and ran. Also, during the Fourth of July festivities more pets run during this time of the year than any other. The booming of fireworks can cause animals to run for miles. They can be terribly frightened. This is a possibility considering the 4th was only a little over a week ago.

This cat has been handled by people before you. It is not a feral cat or you wouldn't be able to get it to lay on your lap. It wouldn't be as friendly as it is. If someone dumped him. Shame on them. If they lost him, my heart goes out to them.

In answer to your question, all I am saying is this is what I would do. I, personally, could not sleep a wink if I thought I didn't do everything to make sure that a lost animal was reunited with it's "rightful family" no matter how much I liked that animal. If no one claims the animal in a reasonable amount of time then I could sleep well knowing I did my part. Then if I chose to keep the animal, I could enjoy it fully without a heavy conscience. I couldn't call it "mine" until I did that. It would only take a few phone calls to be sure.

I guess I am a big believer in "Do unto others what you would want done unto you." It speaks volumes.

Best wishes.

i didn't just ask a few neighbors, i called the office, they checked the bulletin board, no lost kitty notice. no sign on telephone poles. this kitty is to small to have gotten very far from where it was dumped. my closest neighbor were all worried about him as was i. if left he might get run over. we will just have to disagree on this. no i sleep fine at night, knowing i have rescued an animal. guess you are a better person than i. i am keeping him. subject closed please.

Back
Top Bottom