What to Give, and Who to Give it To

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barbara L

Traveling Welcome Wagon
Yes, I know it should be whom, but sometimes good grammar looks stuffy! LOL

Ok, talking about donating cell phones in another thread got me to thinking. There are a lot of places that take donations of certain things, so why not list the ones we know of here? I will start the list:

Cell Phones: Women's shelters/homeless shelters
Eye Glasses: Lion's Club
Aluminum Cans: Habitat for Humanity
Aluminum Can Pop Tabs: Ronald McDonald House
Campbell Soup Labels (and their other products): Many schools
Boxtops for Education: Many schools

Also, schools need donations of pretty much anything. Kids can turn almost anything into an art project. Also, the school nurse could use donations of clothes, sweaters, feminine pads (yes even in the upper elementary schools). Many schools, like around here, could use donations of hand sanitizer, baby wipes, and boxes of tissue.

What can you add to the list? Before throwing anything out, find out if someone can use it!

:)Barbara

Sparrow, I didn't know this about the DVDs. Thanks so much for posting this because it's a wonderful way to show our appreciation!

Barbara, this is a great thread! I always try to recycle the things I don't use or need anymore and I like to buy recycled/re-purposed stuff, too. Here's a few suggestions:

Habitat for Humanity is always on the lookout for unused building materials, paint, wallpaper, sinks and toilets etc. They also help new homeowners get started with yard equipment, home maintenance tools and the like. It need not be new - just serviceable. If you live in a city where there is a Habitat Re-Store, you can pick up these same things very inexpensively and provide necessary funds for more Habitat houses. I've gotten old solid wood doors, light fixtures, office furniture and all sorts of things at the store here.

Also, your local Homeless shelter will be especially appreciative of small soaps, tooth brushes and paste, shampoos etc. that you get from hotels. If you travel a lot or know someone who does, save the goodies for your shelter.

Animal Shelters always need newspapers and old towels and blankets for our furry friends. Of course, dog and cat food is very much appreciated if you have some your critter won't eat.

Craft supplies are needed in children's homes and adult daycare centers. I donate the extra balls of yarn and fabric to a senior center near me and they do some wonderful things with it.

I can't wait to see the other ways ya'll "share the wealth".

I gave a lot of my mom's clothes to a Shelter for Battered Women. It's where women can come with their children to get away from abusive realtionships. Also a lot of clothes to a Church ministry that works with women who get out of prison, and need a fresh start. Addtinal stuff, shoes etc to Katrina Victims on the coast...

we give most of our clothes to the vietnam veterans association.

if you call them, they'll come by your house to drop off plastic bags, then return to pick up your stuff at an appointed time, or you can just leave the stuff outside for them.

Soldiers need cell phones. If there's a NASCAR race near you, you can drop off cell phones.

Soldiers need DVDs, CDs (including home copies) and letters.

Check with local television and radio stations about "Coats for Kids" a group that gives slightly used coats to kids who don't have any.

Second Harvest ~ canned goods (they had that in Cali and here in NC so it's definitely national.)

California - fire stations collect toys at Christmas time

we give most of our clothes to the vietnam veterans association.

if you call them, they'll come by your house to drop off plastic bags, then return to pick up your stuff at an appointed time, or you can just leave the stuff outside for them.

I give 2 or 3 bags of all kinds of stuff to Viet Nam Vets maybe 4 times a year - clothing, books, gifts I've received and don't want, etc. They are very reliable in their pick-ups and make scheduling easy.

Lee

way to go qsis.

unless i want to give a vet a yankee jersey, i guess i shouldn't send you one... :)

anyone know who timothy hill is? my last truck went to his children's foundation.

little bastids better know how to drive stick.

Back
Top Bottom