"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-03-2007, 12:42 PM   #1
Everymom

What to Wear Etiquette

Things used to be cut and dried as far as what to wear to a funeral or wedding etc. Used to be that you didn't wear anything sleeveless etc etc. So, help me out here please. I'm going to a funeral today. (Friend's Mom passed away on Friday) Am I supposed to wear black or not? I was thinking a black sweater and tan pants, but I could go with a black dress if that is better. Help?

Old 01-03-2007, 12:47 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
Things used to be cut and dried as far as what to wear to a funeral or wedding etc. Used to be that you didn't wear anything sleeveless etc etc. So, help me out here please. I'm going to a funeral today. (Friend's Mom passed away on Friday) Am I supposed to wear black or not? I was thinking a black sweater and tan pants, but I could go with a black dress if that is better. Help?
Alix,
when I was in my twenty's you wore black, period. Now just about anything goes. My feelings are subtle colors, not flasy or to bright, tan's, greys, , partial black,navy, soft colors not sassy..Your black and tan will be fine. Remember it's not thecloths you wear, it's the fact that you took the time to be there, to show that you care...I don't remember what anyone wore to my mom's service..It just wasn't important..The familiar caring faces is all we see anyway and that's what counts.
kadesma

Old 01-03-2007, 12:51 PM   #3
Everymom

Thanks kadesma, I don't remember what anyone wore to Dad's memorial either, except for my Mom. She wore Dad's favorite outfit which happened to be a gorgeous ruby colour.

Its so tough for me these days. I have been trying to put more colour into my wardrobe and so now I find I have few things that are appropriate for this type of occasion.
Old 01-03-2007, 12:58 PM   #4
Master Chef

I'm with kads. I think anything muted or neutral in color is fine. Slacks and a top or sweater would be good--there's no need to wear a dress or skirt.
Old 01-03-2007, 01:13 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Alix,
deep red is okay in my eyes, besides, right now it's so cold that you will have a coat or jacket on..You will be fine what ever you pick.Don't worry, just be you.
kadesma
Old 01-03-2007, 01:17 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Alix, your tan pants and sweater is fine IMO. For such a sombre occasion, it's usually wise to wear muted colours. This is always the norm here for funerals.
Old 01-03-2007, 01:29 PM   #7
Master Chef

Whatever you wear will be better that what I saw the other day at the funeral. The cut out on that thing was so low and so big that you need very little imagination what does breast of that woman look like. And then it was so short that it berely come under it anyway. the pants were so low that g-string did not fit inside them, well, you get the picture it was terible. i can't even talk about, it made me so upset, people are just rude. Sorry.
Old 01-03-2007, 01:39 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I think kadesma gave great advice. When a friend of mine passed away ages ago all of us girls (a group of us hung together) said we would NOT wear black.

Whatever you wear will be fine as you are already blessed with the common sense that the girl CharlieD witnessed had none of!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 01:57 PM   #9
Executive Chef

I think that for most any occasion/event, when in doubt, wear black.
Old 01-03-2007, 02:57 PM   #10
Executive Chef

My thought is something in good taste is always correct. I hate to see someone wear something definitely disrespectful to any occasion, but that happens a lot these days. I'm sure what you described will be fine.