"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-25-2006, 05:18 PM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

phinz, don't go see Man of the Year. Not very funny and I fell asleep about halfway through it. Wait for the DVD if you just have to.

Just finished reading Flags of Our Fathers and am looking forward to seeing how Clint filmed it. Book was fabulous.

Still want to see Little Miss Sunshine, but it only played in the art theaters (none near me out in Subdivisionland). Guess I'll have to wait for the DVD on that one.

Old 10-25-2006, 07:23 PM   #32
Head Chef

Flags of our Fathers was intense, but it could have been better. At times I wanted to cry. Other times I wanted to scream. Stay for the credits. That's the most touching part of the entire movie. I don't regret taking a couple of hours out of my day to see it. I would even have been happy to have paid to see it. That's my usual measure of whether or not I liked a movie. I ask myself, "Are you glad you didn't pay to see it?" If the answer is "yes" then the movie was crap. ;)

Trader Scott's Tiki Bar & Lounge
phinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 07:53 PM   #33
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema
I cannot imagine how they could make a decent movie out of Running With Scissors.

The book is incredibly dark and crazy and hysterical but it all comes from Augusten's writing -- IMO movies made from books like this never capture the essense of the book and translate it to the screen. John Irving's books are like that.

Loved the book.
I think they'll probably take most of the dark stuff out and leave the comedy. Books made into movies are never as good as the book but we still go see them.

Speaking of that, another movie adaptation of a book I'd like to see is Eragon. Great book.
Old 11-13-2006, 12:30 AM   #34
Executive Chef

I just watched the trailer for Stranger Than Fiction, that looks good too. Anyone seen it? I love Emma Thompson.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:23 AM   #35
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
HAPPY FEET!!!

We have to wait a little longer though, it premieres in Italy in December.
Old 11-13-2006, 04:00 PM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

have to amend my response to include the latest from Christopher Guest (Best in Show, Waiting for Guffman, A Mighty Wind, etc.) called "For Your Consideration." It's coming out on my birthday next week. Many of the same brilliant ensemble actors he's used before.