What utensil could you NOT do without?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a sturdy, square bottomed spoon that I would sorely miss if I ever lost it. It is stainless steel with a wooden handle, at least 35 years old, and it was a give-away from the Savings and Loan where my ex-MIL worked.

I have looked far and wide for a back-up, but haven't seen one exactly the same.

Aside from my knives, my most-used utensil is a bamboo spatula - it came as part of a set with a wok as a wedding present almost 25 years ago. I do a *lot* of sauteeing, in the wok and in SS pans, so I use it constantly.

I like our knives very much, but I'd have to say the garlic press ... we use a lot of garlic, and it cuts down serious time by not mincing all of them :) If only one or two cloves, I'll use a small Henckel paring knife to mince, but when making Italian dishes that call for several cloves ... the press comes out :)

I like our knives very much, but I'd have to say the garlic press ... we use a lot of garlic, and it cuts down serious time by not mincing all of them :) If only one or two cloves, I'll use a small Henckel paring knife to mince, but when making Italian dishes that call for several cloves ... the press comes out :)

Ya know, I haven't used my garlic press since I learned to SMASH a clove with my knife - half the mincing is done! :) Takes just a few more seconds to line up several smashed cloves and run the knife over them a couple of times.

Ya know, I haven't used my garlic press since I learned to SMASH a clove with my knife - half the mincing is done! :) Takes just a few more seconds to line up several smashed cloves and run the knife over them a couple of times.

I learned how to smash garlic when I was a teenager 20 years ago, but when you deal in mass quantities ... the press is still much faster ;) I can do 6 cloves with a press in about 20-30 seconds, by the time I smash 6 cloves and begin mincing, I would have already been done with the press and cleaning up :)

I'm with you freefallin. When I can salsa I need to mince several bulbs. No slicing for me.

#1 would be fingers, #2 a good, really sharp knife. People know I like to cook, and I wind up helping out at family and freinds' houses, and am thinking of putting a knife in my purse during holidays.

No kidding. I used to take my tool box with me everywhere. And yes, it was a guys tool box that I put all my toys in and put in the car whenever we set out to family or friends houses. Only brought out when asked though.

My Case XX 8-400 Chef Knife. Given in 1957 as a wedding present to my parents.
My old bamboo spatula is also on my list.
Third would be my nice silicon tongs.

No kidding. I used to take my tool box with me everywhere. And yes, it was a guys tool box that I put all my toys in and put in the car whenever we set out to family or friends houses. Only brought out when asked though.

i own 4, only like/use 1. it's bright & cheerful with pinks & blues & yellows. my old one is on wheels, then i got a leather 1, & then when i returned to school, they issued new ones in a rolly bag that was too bulky so i ditched it.

i take mine with me when i want to get a job to demo my knife skills.

radhuni, could you translate? :) What are those?

Boti is a Bengali cutting utensil, you can visit this thread:
"http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f90/boti-bengali-version-of-a-knife-37975.html"

"You can visit http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karahi" for Kadai or Karahi.

I suppose that since my fingers were here first i would have to say that that is the one utinsel i couldn't do without. heehee! :)

I'm a knife nut, so my main toys are knives. But there are a few utensils I would hate to do without:

1. My large Calphalon nonstick pan. It's perfect for crepes & omelletes.
2. Chef Wizard. Yeah, that goofy set of tongs that's two flat whisks! It's great as a whisk for sauces and great for flipping fish & grabbing eggs from boiling water.
3. My Thermopen thermometer. I should've listed it #1! It rocks!
4. My Edge Pro Apex sharpening system.
5. My Hand America glass hone.
6. Mixing bowl with a spout & handle. I got it for $1 at Ace Hardware. Pretty flimsy but I just use it for pouring crepe batter into the pan.
7. Silicon spatulas/spoonulas. Those things are the best.

Those are the main ones I can think of offhand.

Back
Top Bottom