What was the first book series you ever read and how old were you when you read it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The "Little House" series was probably my first series. I have loved Laura Ingalls Wilder ever since and have read her other books. I have the "Little House Cookbook." I have been to her house in Mansfield, Missouri (now a Laura Ingalls Wilder museum). Growing up, I always felt some kind of bond with her, as she died in 1957 and I was born later that year. Weird, I know, but kids are weird. :LOL:

I have also collected other books by and about LIW. I have two cookbooks one that were some of her recipes at the farm and the other a collection of recipes that follow the foods mentioned in the little house series. I really think the one that follows the series is wonderful for kids reading the books. Some of the recipes can help set the scene and perhaps provide a glimpse of what daily life was like. The books of her columns about being a farm wife and country living still have a great deal of value in today's world. If you enjoy her you might want to scout out some of the books by and about Tasha Tudor. TT created her own world and lived an eccentric but beautiful life.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have also collected other books by and about LIW. I have two cookbooks one that were some of her recipes at the farm and the other a collection of recipes that follow the foods mentioned in the little house series. I really think the one that follows the series is wonderful for kids reading the books. Some of the recipes can help set the scene and perhaps provide a glimpse of what daily life was like. The books of her columns about being a farm wife and country living still have a great deal of value in today's world. If you enjoy her you might want to scout out some of the books by and about Tasha Tudor. TT created her own world and lived an eccentric but beautiful life.
Thanks, I will have to check her out!

I have one of the books of Laura's articles--I can't think of the name offhand, but I love it. I have also read one of her daughter Rose's books and an article or two by her.

Last edited by a moderator:
When we were on the road for a few years, my husband would plot our travels from day-to-day using Rand McNally. One thing the great atlas had was little marks for points of interest, and for some reason, they featured, among other things, museums and such that had to do with authors. So we stopped at a few Laura Ingalls Wilder home towns. Also at a couple of towns where other authors from my youthful days have museums.

Winnie-the-Pooh when I was 6. Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys after that. And then the I love Flicka books (I think there were three or four of those).

Dick and Jane, Wrinkle in Time, Dr. Seuss, But an actual series...I began reading, The Hobbit, aloud when I was 5, it took me a year. After that I started the 3 books of "The Lord of the Rings." I also started reading the PERN novels by Anne McCaffrey around the same time.

You read The Hobbit out loud for a year? What an annoying child you must have been! :LOL:

When my son was 5, he used to sit under a tree in our yard and read to the younger children in the neighborhood.

Other than Dick & Jane (see spot run. Run spot, run) I first read an actual series of books in, maybe, 4th grade? I found the books in my school library, and they were about a deep sea (hard hat) diver, but I have no idea of the titles or who wrote them. I tried to find them for my son for years and could never ascertain the titles or author.

You read The Hobbit out loud for a year? What an annoying child you must have been! :LOL:

:mrgreen: Actually, it was the book Dad had been reading to us as a bedtime story. When he finished the book, I asked him to start again. He handed me the book and he got a year off from reading bedtime stories.:LOL:

Back
Top Bottom