"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-26-2012, 12:39 PM   #1
Executive Chef

What was the first book series you ever read and how old were you when you read it?

I was in 4th grade, so I was about 9 or 10 years old when I read the "Freddy the Pig" series.

It was a series much like "Animal Farm", in that all the animals could talk. Freddy was the youngest and smartest of all the pigs on the Bean Farm in upstate New York. I loved that series and read every book. The animals get into all kinds of delightful adventures and talk freely with the humans who are involved with the stories.

I would suggest this series to anyone who has children of about 10 years old who like to read.

Old 01-26-2012, 01:44 PM   #2
Senior Cook

The first series I read was the Mouse and the Motorcycle series by Beverly Cleary. I was 10ish. Those books were awesome.

I havent thought about those books in a long time. Im gonna have to see if I still have em.

Old 01-26-2012, 01:52 PM   #3
Executive Chef

I'm sure I read books that were designed to help kids learn to read, but as far as a series, that I actually wanted to read, had to be the Shannara series by Terry Brooks/Goodkind. I was 17. Now if we want to talk about authors, Alistair MacLean. Several movies have been based on his books, "Ice Station Zebra", "Where Eagles Dare", "The Eiger Sanction", "The Guns of Navarone", "Force 10 from Navarone" and "Breakheart Pass" are probably the best known.

Craig
Old 01-26-2012, 03:11 PM   #4
Wine Guy

I think the first series I ever read was James P. Hogan's "Inherit the Stars" science fiction series. I don't recall exactly how old I was, but it was sometime in high school, so maybe 16 or 17. I stopped at the third book, because it was a number of years between the time the third and fourth books came out and by that time I would've had to go back and re-read books 1-3 to remember what last happened.

Actually, now that I think about it, I probably read Asimov's "Robot" series first.
Old 01-26-2012, 04:49 PM   #5
Master Chef

The little house series by Laura Ingalls Wilder. I am not sure how old I was, pretty young.
Old 01-26-2012, 04:53 PM   #6
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
I was in 4th grade, so I was about 9 or 10 years old when I read the "Freddy the Pig" series.

It was a series much like "Animal Farm", in that all the animals could talk. Freddy was the youngest and smartest of all the pigs on the Bean Farm in upstate New York. I loved that series and read every book. The animals get into all kinds of delightful adventures and talk freely with the humans who are involved with the stories.

I would suggest this series to anyone who has children of about 10 years old who like to read.
He wrote a story that was the basis for the TV show Mr. Ed. He lived about fifty miles from where I live.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:17 PM   #7
Everymom

I know I read all the Dick and Jane's, and likely other primary things. The first one I remember devouring was The Chronicles of Narnia in grade 3. From age 7 on I think I've read them more times than I can count. I still love them. The next series I read was A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:23 PM   #8
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Dick and Jane, Wrinkle in Time, Dr. Seuss, But an actual series...I began reading, The Hobbit, aloud when I was 5, it took me a year. After that I started the 3 books of "The Lord of the Rings." I also started reading the PERN novels by Anne McCaffrey around the same time.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:28 PM   #9
Master Chef

Site Moderator

I know it is going to sound cliche, but The Hardy Boys. I was in grade school. Don't remember what grade or how old, just the teasing. Kids can be so cruel. I don't really remember reading for fun much after that until high school.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:35 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Little House series, I was pretty young too. The Bobsey Twins, Nancy Drew, Hardy Boys, Anne of Green Gables series ( probably my fave). I also remember reading my grandparents' copies of original Wizard of Oz series, which had 4 additional books, I think. I too started reading at a very early age.