"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-26-2016, 05:09 AM   #11
Sous Chef

When I was little, sugared cereal , the type you remember had to be made less sweet for the Swedish market or they didnt pass as breakfast, yeah stricter sugar laws then then now. Thank you EU for that. ;). No high coloured cereal either since we had a ban on azo colouring back then and also some flavourings and preservatives. Yes, that too had to change with EU and now they are changing back to our old rules.

Anyway, so the cereal we had was either popped rice , taste like Styrofoam or generic cornflakes ( Kellogg was too expensive) or weird non sweetened müsli.

So I had porridge most mornings, oats, barely or rye with jam and milk but ones or twice a year I would get a box of Smacks or Captain Crunch, that was my grand aunts idea of spoiling us, that and unlimited candy and cookies for 1 week.

Or I had fil, a soured milk more like butter milk then yogurt with fruits and berries in the summer.

Old 09-26-2016, 07:38 AM   #12
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Oatmeal
Cheerios
Wheaties
Cornflakes
Grapenuts

Old 09-26-2016, 09:21 AM   #13
Master Chef

Frosted Flakes!

The day before payday cereal was boiled white rice topped with brown sugar, cinnamon and butter or a little milk!
Old 09-26-2016, 09:30 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
Frosted Flakes!

The day before payday cereal was boiled white rice topped with brown sugar, cinnamon and butter or a little milk!
My aunt told me that leftover rice fixed that way was my uncle's favorite breakfast.
Old 09-26-2016, 09:32 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

I used to love the dessert cereals Count Chocula (chocolate milk at the end!), Fruity Pebbles, Frosted Flakes. Sometimes Rice Krispies with lots of sugar.

I haven't had cereal in years. My mom thinks that that's weird :crazy:
Old 09-26-2016, 12:05 PM   #16
Master Chef

I loved puffa puffa wheat it had a sort of Hawaiian picture on the box - puffed wheat with honey coating. They disappeared and honey smacks appeared. My aunt always had puffa wheat and served it with a little can of juice either "AM" or "PM" on the side. They also disappeared.

Next favorite was shredded wheat "pillows" LOL I still like them with a maple syrup drizzle and milk hot or cold.

Next wheat or corn Chex.

After that was PLAIN - rice crispies, cheerios and kix cereals.

Oatmeal, farina and wheatina were winter cereals - mom would add brown sugar, raisins, butter and maple flavoring (syrup if she had it) to the pot. Served with a splash of milk over it.
Old 09-26-2016, 12:12 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Porridge/porage (depending on where you come from in the UK. Oatmeal, I think, in the USA).

As someone said I mean the real McCoy not the packets that go in the microwave. Preferably served with Tate & Lyle golden syrup (or honey at a pinch if I've run out.)

It's still my favourite, although I like Dorset Muesli too and All Bran. Love the taste of this and it makes a lovely sticky tea bread (cake).
Old 09-26-2016, 12:28 PM   #18
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Cap'in Crunch! I also liked shredded wheat and Roman Meal (I think it was called that, the cereal, not the bread).
Capn' Crunch was mine too, along with `kellog's raisin bran........
Old 09-26-2016, 12:54 PM   #19
Master Chef

well, `i tasted porridge for the first time in Saint `Petersburg a few years ago......... omg was it ever delicious and filling.......`i loved it! if anyone has any good porridge recipes please let me know.....`i've never made it myself.......`i do love cooked oatbran which `i make in the microwave,,,,,,,,delicious, filling, healthy, etc.........
Old 09-26-2016, 12:58 PM   #20
Sous Chef

I have posted a barley porridge in the barley thread.

Tags
breakfast, cereal, fast