What was your favorite childhood breakfast cereal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sugar pops, frosted flakes and plain old Cheerio's. I still love plain cheerio's.

During my working days, I often brought a zippy bag of Cheerio's to work as a snack. I used to keep them sitting on my desk, but folks walking by thought they were for the taking. So I put them in my drawer. Hands off my Cheerio's!

I too loved Shredded Wheat with the hot water treatment. A sneaky way of getting a "so called hot" cereal into the child. :angel:

I too loved Shredded Wheat with the hot water treatment. A sneaky way of getting a "so called hot" cereal into the child. :angel:

I liked them cold as well, I didn't Have To put the hot water on. I was a :pig: and always ate 2 but my jaw would get tired :ermm: .

The hot water softened them and made them easier to chew.

Cold I would crunch them up but the little pieces would fly everywhere. :LOL: My dad would crunch them in the bag and then pour them in his bowl.

Near as I can remember :ermm:, I liked Cocoa Puffs and drinking the chocolate milk it left in the bowl. Also loved Cheerios, and still do. Just the plain kind though, I don't care for the flavored ones. We also always had Grape Nuts on the breakfast table, my brother and I liked that, too. I don't remember having a lot of the sugary kind, except Cocoa Puffs.

During the winter, my brother and I LOVED Maypo. (Well, as wintery as it got growing up in SoCal. ;))

Anyone else remember Marky Maypo? :LOL:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tn5_6C8UuXQ

Absolutely! It was right along about the first TV we had. Must have been in 55 or 56 when we moved to Minn.

Mom didn't buy it but I had it somewhere - didn't care for it - if I remember it was yechy sweet - maple??? funny for a Canadian not to like maple!

Near as I can remember :ermm:, I liked Cocoa Puffs and drinking the chocolate milk it left in the bowl. Also loved Cheerios, and still do. Just the plain kind though, I don't care for the flavored ones. We also always had Grape Nuts on the breakfast table, my brother and I liked that, too. I don't remember having a lot of the sugary kind, except Cocoa Puffs.

During the winter, my brother and I LOVED Maypo. (Well, as wintery as it got growing up in SoCal. ;))

Anyone else remember Marky Maypo? :LOL:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tn5_6C8UuXQ

I have a box of Maypo in my pantry now. Love maple!

We weren't allowed sugared cereals.
We had cream of wheat, oatmeal, cheerios, occasionally grape nuts, once a year honey combs or life cereal for a treat. I don't care for any cereals now except for homemade granola (when I can have a carb).
When I finally tasted sugary cereals, I didn't like them and they made the milk taste bad (sweet).

`i never left the house without siploc bags of cheerios for the kids to munch on..........what they didn't eat......the birds did.......

And don't forget baby's first finger food. Cheerio's in the tray of every high chair in America. :angel:

`you're absolutely right, Addie..........and now as `i listen to a violin being violated thru the walls (`i know they have to start somewhere ``:).......something else came to mind...........when I was student teaching my mentor teacher used to let her second graders (aged 7) string cherrios on a string for their birthdays...........the kids loved it:the stringing, wearing on a colorful piece of yarn, and then munching throughout the day..........

And in Sweden most kids get none sweeten wafers or corn curls and porridge.

The US has some very large supermarkets. The sad part of that is there are whole aisles dedicated to overloaded sugary cereals with box designs aimed at children. No wonder we have a problem with overweight lids. :angel:

Oh there is a store here that sell Misha Or so I been told it say on the box, it is bear and it is in Russian and it supposed to be honey and rye bears for kids. I have so far not tried it. I se if I can get pass there again, it bit out of the loop for me, but if I do I take a picture.

Oh, the horror. I had no idea cereal exist until I came to America.:) I survived though. ;)

;) Poor Charlie, you have been through some tough times here in America. Alas, all is well now I hope. Get a box of Count Chocula and pig out! You will feel better when you get to drink all of the sugary chocolate milk at the end of the bowl. :angel:

Oh there is a store here that sell Misha Or so I been told it say on the box, it is bear and it is in Russian and it supposed to be honey and rye bears for kids. I have so far not tried it. I se if I can get pass there again, it bit out of the loop for me, but if I do I take a picture.

Never heard of it. If you do, take a picture.

Frosted Flakes or whatever cereal where you could send away for and got a car you could assemble, and then run it into the wall and it would break apart, then you could put it back together again. That was kinda neat. Or, a submarine that worked on baking soda.

The small plastic break apart cars you could send away for. I wonder if that wasn't a subliminal message to us back then about car safety.

Last edited:
The US has some very large supermarkets. The sad part of that is there are whole aisles dedicated to overloaded sugary cereals with box designs aimed at children. No wonder we have a problem with overweight lids. :angel:

why do you think supermarkets give kids their own grocery carts.......it's to go down the cereal and cookie aisles:ROFLMAO:oh, and not to forget run into other people!!!

Back
Top Bottom