"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-26-2016, 01:23 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
Sugar pops, frosted flakes and plain old Cheerio's. I still love plain cheerio's.
During my working days, I often brought a zippy bag of Cheerio's to work as a snack. I used to keep them sitting on my desk, but folks walking by thought they were for the taking. So I put them in my drawer. Hands off my Cheerio's!

I too loved Shredded Wheat with the hot water treatment. A sneaky way of getting a "so called hot" cereal into the child.

Old 09-26-2016, 02:52 PM   #22
Master Chef

`i never left the house without siploc bags of cheerios for the kids to munch on..........what they didn't eat......the birds did.......

Old 09-26-2016, 02:55 PM   #23
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CakePoet View Post
I have posted a barley porridge in the barley thread.
Thanks, CP!
Old 09-26-2016, 03:54 PM   #24
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I too loved Shredded Wheat with the hot water treatment. A sneaky way of getting a "so called hot" cereal into the child.
I liked them cold as well, I didn't Have To put the hot water on. I was a and always ate 2 but my jaw would get tired .

The hot water softened them and made them easier to chew.

Cold I would crunch them up but the little pieces would fly everywhere. My dad would crunch them in the bag and then pour them in his bowl.
Old 09-26-2016, 04:08 PM   #25
Master Chef

Near as I can remember , I liked Cocoa Puffs and drinking the chocolate milk it left in the bowl. Also loved Cheerios, and still do. Just the plain kind though, I don't care for the flavored ones. We also always had Grape Nuts on the breakfast table, my brother and I liked that, too. I don't remember having a lot of the sugary kind, except Cocoa Puffs.

During the winter, my brother and I LOVED Maypo. (Well, as wintery as it got growing up in SoCal. )

Anyone else remember Marky Maypo?

Old 09-26-2016, 04:19 PM   #26
Executive Chef

I honestly don't remember.

All I'm coming up with is toast with peanut butter and cinnamon toast. We may not have had boxed cereal.
Old 09-26-2016, 04:19 PM   #27
Head Chef

Absolutely! It was right along about the first TV we had. Must have been in 55 or 56 when we moved to Minn.

Mom didn't buy it but I had it somewhere - didn't care for it - if I remember it was yechy sweet - maple??? funny for a Canadian not to like maple!
Old 09-26-2016, 06:36 PM   #28
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
Near as I can remember , I liked Cocoa Puffs and drinking the chocolate milk it left in the bowl. Also loved Cheerios, and still do. Just the plain kind though, I don't care for the flavored ones. We also always had Grape Nuts on the breakfast table, my brother and I liked that, too. I don't remember having a lot of the sugary kind, except Cocoa Puffs.

During the winter, my brother and I LOVED Maypo. (Well, as wintery as it got growing up in SoCal. )

Anyone else remember Marky Maypo?

I have a box of Maypo in my pantry now. Love maple!
Old 09-26-2016, 08:24 PM   #29
Head Chef

We weren't allowed sugared cereals.
We had cream of wheat, oatmeal, cheerios, occasionally grape nuts, once a year honey combs or life cereal for a treat. I don't care for any cereals now except for homemade granola (when I can have a carb).
When I finally tasted sugary cereals, I didn't like them and they made the milk taste bad (sweet).
Old 09-26-2016, 08:47 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatgirl View Post
`i never left the house without siploc bags of cheerios for the kids to munch on..........what they didn't eat......the birds did.......
And don't forget baby's first finger food. Cheerio's in the tray of every high chair in America.

Tags
breakfast, cereal, fast