"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 09-25-2016, 04:56 PM   #1
Master Chef
What was your favorite childhood breakfast cereal?

Tell us baout your favorite breakfast cereal, and why it was your favorite. You can tel us your about your favorite three cereals, I guess.

For me, it was Quaker Life. the little oat squares were mildly crunchy, lightly sweetened, and had the oat flavor. I found it delictable. Plus, it came with a cardboard set of feed that was made to attach to the bottom of a balloon. But I honestly enjoyed the flavor.

2nd favorite was full-sized biscuit, Nabisco Shredded Wheat. The texture and flavor combined with a little honey drizzled over the top, and ice cold milk poured into the bowl made for me an almost irresistible cereal.

Oh I liked Sugar Pops, Corn Pops, Fruit Loops, Apple Jacks, and the other sugary cereals too. But Life, and Shredded Wheat were the best for me, unless of course, the cereal came in the little square cartons that you could open the side, pour in the milk and eat from the carton. These were the best for every kid I've ever met.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 05:47 PM   #2
Head Chef
It has to be Frosted Flakes.

They're GREAT!!!!

I liked Tony the Tiger but mostly because my Grandfather had a bowl every morning.

Second would be Kellogg's Raisin Bran because they had 2 scoops.

And I wish they'd bring back those single serving boxes. Todays plastic imitations don't cut the mustard compared to those boxes. They were a fun thing to eat.

Zagut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 06:41 PM   #3
Executive Chef
Do you mean what was something I actually liked or what was forced on me by my, no clue, parents? My personal was unsweetened, shredded wheat.
Emeralds are real Gems! C. caninus & C. Batesii.
CraigC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 07:02 PM   #4
Sous Chef
I love/d oatmeal, real cooked oatmeal, not those packages (well, they didn't have them back then anyhow.. ) with molasses and butter - no milk - YUM!

Also loved the big Nabisco Shredded Wheats, two in the bowl, pour boiling water over, drain off immediately, add milk and brown sugar. THE BEST! and some seasonal fruit if available.

Then came Harvest Crunch, also delish! But then came sensitivity to honey, sugar, milk and dats all folks! no more no more no more
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
dragnlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 07:14 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
What was your favorite childhood breakfast cereal?

Cap'in Crunch! I also liked shredded wheat and Roman Meal (I think it was called that, the cereal, not the bread).

Lots of other sugary stuff with no redeeming qualities like Sugar Corn Pops, Frosted Flakes, and Honeycomb too. I still like Corn Pops.
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 07:15 PM   #6
Senior Cook
Sugar pops, frosted flakes and plain old Cheerio's. I still love plain cheerio's.
LizStreithorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 07:29 PM   #7
Head Chef
Froot loops, rice crispies and frosted flakes.
medtran49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 07:53 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I'm a pretty boring cereal eater. I grew up in a time when boxed cold cereal was just beginning to make it to our breakfast tables. When I as a child, cereals such as Sugar Smacks, Rice Krispies, Trix, and a few others were just beginning to be popular and aggressively marketed via their mascots. I have a pretty assertive sweet tooth but never cared for the sweetened cereals. To this day, I still prefer Rice Krispies, Cheerios, Special K and, to get crazy, raisin bran.

I have to mention that, because of our rural geographic location and the era, we also didn't have any fast food-type establishments and I rarely remember snacking (that is, potato chips, etc.) in our house. Actually, potato chips were a treat when we cooked out. I don't remember when I had a potato chip last.

I don't think I've missed anything and guess I'm better off because I didn't acquire a dependency on what might be, today, considered junk food.

Sorry, a long answer to the OP's question.
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 09:43 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire
My grandma would buy the variety pack of small individual sized cereals. The kind where you could cut the box open and use it as your bowl. Loved Frosted Flakes...only got them when visiting grandma. At home, we ate Wheaties, cream of wheat, or oatmeal. Later in life I fell in love with Shreddies. Now, cereal is savoury oatmeal. No more sugar or boxed cereals, here,
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 10:45 PM   #10
Wine Guy
In no particular order...

Cap'n Crunch
Shredded Wheat
Sugar Pops
Super Sugar Crisp
Frosted Flakes
Corn Chex
Fruity Pebbles
Frosted Mini Wheats
Count Chocula
Boo Berry

Absolutely nothing healthy on that list, but I liked them all!

Steve Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote

breakfast, cereal, fast