What was your favorite childhood breakfast cereal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
Tell us baout your favorite breakfast cereal, and why it was your favorite. You can tel us your about your favorite three cereals, I guess.

For me, it was Quaker Life. the little oat squares were mildly crunchy, lightly sweetened, and had the oat flavor. I found it delictable. Plus, it came with a cardboard set of feed that was made to attach to the bottom of a balloon. But I honestly enjoyed the flavor.

2nd favorite was full-sized biscuit, Nabisco Shredded Wheat. The texture and flavor combined with a little honey drizzled over the top, and ice cold milk poured into the bowl made for me an almost irresistible cereal.

Oh I liked Sugar Pops, Corn Pops, Fruit Loops, Apple Jacks, and the other sugary cereals too. But Life, and Shredded Wheat were the best for me, unless of course, the cereal came in the little square cartons that you could open the side, pour in the milk and eat from the carton. These were the best for every kid I've ever met.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

It has to be Frosted Flakes.

They're GREAT!!!! ;)

I liked Tony the Tiger but mostly because my Grandfather had a bowl every morning.

Second would be Kellogg's Raisin Bran because they had 2 scoops. :rolleyes:

And I wish they'd bring back those single serving boxes. Todays plastic imitations don't cut the mustard compared to those boxes. They were a fun thing to eat. :)

Do you mean what was something I actually liked or what was forced on me by my, no clue, parents? My personal was unsweetened, shredded wheat.

I love/d oatmeal, real cooked oatmeal, not those packages (well, they didn't have them back then anyhow.. ;)) with molasses and butter - no milk - YUM!

Also loved the big Nabisco Shredded Wheats, two in the bowl, pour boiling water over, drain off immediately, add milk and brown sugar. THE BEST! and some seasonal fruit if available.

Then came Harvest Crunch, also delish! But then came sensitivity to honey, sugar, milk and dats all folks! no more no more no more

Last edited:
Cap'in Crunch! I also liked shredded wheat and Roman Meal (I think it was called that, the cereal, not the bread).

Lots of other sugary stuff with no redeeming qualities like Sugar Corn Pops, Frosted Flakes, and Honeycomb too. I still like Corn Pops.

Last edited:
I'm a pretty boring cereal eater. I grew up in a time when boxed cold cereal was just beginning to make it to our breakfast tables. When I as a child, cereals such as Sugar Smacks, Rice Krispies, Trix, and a few others were just beginning to be popular and aggressively marketed via their mascots. I have a pretty assertive sweet tooth but never cared for the sweetened cereals. To this day, I still prefer Rice Krispies, Cheerios, Special K and, to get crazy, raisin bran.

I have to mention that, because of our rural geographic location and the era, we also didn't have any fast food-type establishments and I rarely remember snacking (that is, potato chips, etc.) in our house. Actually, potato chips were a treat when we cooked out. I don't remember when I had a potato chip last.

I don't think I've missed anything and guess I'm better off because I didn't acquire a dependency on what might be, today, considered junk food.

Sorry, a long answer to the OP's question.

My grandma would buy the variety pack of small individual sized cereals. The kind where you could cut the box open and use it as your bowl. Loved Frosted Flakes...only got them when visiting grandma. At home, we ate Wheaties, cream of wheat, or oatmeal. Later in life I fell in love with Shreddies. Now, cereal is savoury oatmeal. No more sugar or boxed cereals, here,

Last edited:
In no particular order...

Cap'n Crunch
Quisp
Shredded Wheat
Sugar Pops
Super Sugar Crisp
Honeycomb
Frosted Flakes
Corn Chex
Fruity Pebbles
Frosted Mini Wheats
Count Chocula
Boo Berry

Absolutely nothing healthy on that list, but I liked them all! :LOL:

Last edited:
When I was little, sugared cereal , the type you remember had to be made less sweet for the Swedish market or they didnt pass as breakfast, yeah stricter sugar laws then then now. Thank you EU for that. ;). No high coloured cereal either since we had a ban on azo colouring back then and also some flavourings and preservatives. Yes, that too had to change with EU and now they are changing back to our old rules.

Anyway, so the cereal we had was either popped rice , taste like Styrofoam or generic cornflakes ( Kellogg was too expensive) or weird non sweetened müsli.

So I had porridge most mornings, oats, barely or rye with jam and milk but ones or twice a year I would get a box of Smacks or Captain Crunch, that was my grand aunts idea of spoiling us, that and unlimited candy and cookies for 1 week.

Or I had fil, a soured milk more like butter milk then yogurt with fruits and berries in the summer.

Frosted Flakes!

The day before payday cereal was boiled white rice topped with brown sugar, cinnamon and butter or a little milk! :yum:

I used to love the dessert cereals :ROFLMAO: Count Chocula (chocolate milk at the end!), Fruity Pebbles, Frosted Flakes. Sometimes Rice Krispies with lots of sugar.

I haven't had cereal in years. My mom thinks that that's weird :crazy:

I loved puffa puffa wheat it had a sort of Hawaiian picture on the box - puffed wheat with honey coating. They disappeared and honey smacks appeared. My aunt always had puffa wheat and served it with a little can of juice either "AM" or "PM" on the side. They also disappeared.

Next favorite was shredded wheat "pillows" LOL I still like them with a maple syrup drizzle and milk hot or cold.

Next wheat or corn Chex.

After that was PLAIN - rice crispies, cheerios and kix cereals.

Oatmeal, farina and wheatina were winter cereals - mom would add brown sugar, raisins, butter and maple flavoring (syrup if she had it) to the pot. Served with a splash of milk over it.

Porridge/porage (depending on where you come from in the UK. Oatmeal, I think, in the USA).

As someone said I mean the real McCoy not the packets that go in the microwave. Preferably served with Tate & Lyle golden syrup (or honey at a pinch if I've run out.)

It's still my favourite, although I like Dorset Muesli too and All Bran. Love the taste of this and it makes a lovely sticky tea bread (cake).

well, `i tasted porridge for the first time in Saint `Petersburg a few years ago......... omg was it ever delicious and filling.......`i loved it! if anyone has any good porridge recipes please let me know.....`i've never made it myself.......`i do love cooked oatbran which `i make in the microwave,,,,,,,,delicious, filling, healthy, etc.........

Back
Top Bottom