What was your worst food/cooking related experience?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My worst experience was the first time introduced to a Mandolin and working with the julienne blade.

As luck would have it, i was distracted, and a split second later, 7 cuts in my left thumb.:ohmy:

High school, cooking stupid potato cake thingies. Old stove, big pan, lots of oil, stove in corner, group of teenage girls in the way, chatting. Kyles trying to keep an eye on the oil, oops, too late, flames hitting ceiling. Pleasantly plump cooking teacher flying across the room with a box of salt and a lid, rescuing us all from certain death.

The only consolation is later in the day, another kid in another class managed to tip a pile of sodium into some water, causing a massive explosion and the whole school had to close down for the day, so no one remembered my aborted attempt to burn down the school!

Oh Lord Kyles,

You got lucky on that one...You just made my day sharing that story..:LOL:
kadesma

The worst huh?. Well that was about 25 years ago when I put a beef tongue on to boil and sat down and fell asleep. Needless to say that when I woke-up the water in the pot was long gone, the tongue was dry as a bone and the house was filled with smoke.:mad:

My mom was moving something on the stove and a lid flipped boiling hot oil all over her chest. She really should have gone to the hospital, but with no insurance and no money (and I think a fear of doctors), she didn't. She was burning so bad that she couldn't sleep. My dad didn't know what to do, so he grabbed the closest thing handy, the Chloroseptic spray (we just call it "the green stuff") and sprayed it all over the burn. It stopped the burning so that she was able to sleep, and we have used it on minor burns ever since.

:ermm: Barbara

Barbara L said:
My mom was moving something on the stove and a lid flipped boiling hot oil all over her chest. She really should have gone to the hospital, but with no insurance and no money (and I think a fear of doctors), she didn't. She was burning so bad that she couldn't sleep. My dad didn't know what to do, so he grabbed the closest thing handy, the Chloroseptic spray (we just call it "the green stuff") and sprayed it all over the burn. It stopped the burning so that she was able to sleep, and we have used it on minor burns ever since.

:ermm: Barbara

Ouch. That must have left alot of scars.

ironchef said:
Spatulator, reading all of your replies on this thread makes me think that you are a masochist. :LOL:

lol, quite the opposite. I'm a baby when it comes to pain. The worst are friction burns like when you fall of a bike.

I've got so many stories I could write a book, since I'm always the one who liked to cook.

I love grilling ribs - what I call brontosauras ribs, the big beefy ones, which I marinate kal-bi style and cook on the rare side. Well, one friend who isn't a big meat eater anyway, bit in and hit an odd vein which for some reason hadn't been cooked, and it spurted blood everywhere. You'd have thought she hit an artery of a living person. Blood on her, her husband, the table. It is a true sign of friendship (or perhaps that my cooking is that good!) that she stopped, wiped up herself and dabbed everyone who got sprinkled, and just took another bite and kept on eating.

Claire said:
I've got so many stories I could write a book, since I'm always the one who liked to cook.

I love grilling ribs - what I call brontosauras ribs, the big beefy ones, which I marinate kal-bi style and cook on the rare side. Well, one friend who isn't a big meat eater anyway, bit in and hit an odd vein which for some reason hadn't been cooked, and it spurted blood everywhere. You'd have thought she hit an artery of a living person. Blood on her, her husband, the table. It is a true sign of friendship (or perhaps that my cooking is that good!) that she stopped, wiped up herself and dabbed everyone who got sprinkled, and just took another bite and kept on eating.

lol, that is disgusting. If there were any vegetarians at that table they would have lost it.

Raven said:
Two words... TANG CAKE :sick:

I was trying to invent an orange cake using Tang :ROFLMAO:

Oy VEY was it nasty! :LOL:

~ Raven ~

Tang by itself is pretty nasty, I couldn't even fathom the taste of it in a cake.

Speaking of Tang, I tried this stuff called V8 Splash the other day and it was like tang only with real fruit juice. It was really good.

Back
Top Bottom