What was your worst food/cooking related experience?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spatulator

Assistant Cook
Post your or someone you knows worst injury, recipe disaster, anything. Could be as simple as a way overcooked turkey for thanksgiving, cutting your finger slicing an onion, burning half your kitchen down, or a family picnic where everyone got food poisoning from the potato salad you purchased from the local store:sick:.

This thread should be pretty interesting.

my boyfriend's aunt was getting thngs ready for thanksgiving dinner. she had a fridge with the freezer ontop. you guessed it, she dropped the turkey on her foot so she spent the whole night at the e.r. so we went over and helped her make the dinner. it would have been too hard for her with a broken foot.

My hubby set our oven on fire making biscuits once. I had cooked something the night before & grease ran over in the bottom of the oven. Well, before I got up the next morning, hubby decided to surprise me with biscuits. As the oven was preheating the grease caught on fire. By this time I was out of bed. Anyway, TC was 3 at the time & he hid behind the front door & Savannah was about 5 mths old & still had a heart monitor. I was trying to grab her without jerking the leads off her & get TC out the door at the same time. Hubby grabbed the fire extinguisher & put the fire out. It took forever to get that extinguisher stuff cleaned up. Although the oven was fine(we had it checked out) my MIL insisted we get a new one & bought it for us.

middie said:
my boyfriend's aunt was getting thngs ready for thanksgiving dinner. she had a fridge with the freezer ontop. you guessed it, she dropped the turkey on her foot so she spent the whole night at the e.r. so we went over and helped her make the dinner. it would have been too hard for her with a broken foot.

OUCH, big frozen turkey falling on your foot would hurt like heck. Did it break any bones?

of course lol. it was an 20 pound turkey. she did have a broken foot but i don't know how many bones were broke.

This is a good place for a first post.

Anyway one time I was simply heating up one of those lunch bucket things in the microwave for a snack. The only thing is I forgot to take off the metal lid and it blew up like a lasagna bomb. It completely coated the inside of the microwave with tomato sauce.

I blew out a microwave once by leaving an arby's sandwich in its wrapper. Wrapper had tin foil in it I guess. My parents were pretty mad.

Most of my kitchen disasters seem to involve the microwave. Another time I put in a frozen loaf of bread to thaw in the microwave and I forgot about the metal tie on the end. Moments later a small fire was starting but we caught it before it got out of hand.

Mine was probably a burn while brewing. Now I've got pretty heat resistant hands, and have had more than my fair share of contact burns (hitting hot grates in the oven, etc.), but to me, that's nothing like having your whole right hand immersed in 170+ degree (F) water! :ohmy:

That was "quite" the experience!

John

Any major mishaps while cooking with oil? I had one the other day. I put a thin coat of olive oil in a pot and turned the burner on high and walked to the freezer to grab some frozen shrimp. When I put the shrimp in the pot it sizzled and spat oil all over the place. I had to quick take the pot off and throw it in the sink cause I was being burned every second by the spitting oil :(

In culinary school, we were doing steak diane one day. This girl in my class, when she added the brandy to the pan, she had her face too close when she flambe'd it and burned most of her eyebrows off and part of her bangs. Later that semester, when we were disposing of used oil (we would put it in these 5 gallon plastic tubs), she poured HOT oil into the tub which melted a hole in the side, spilling about 4 gallons of oil all over the floor. Needless to say, she did not last in culinary school.

I was making some shrimp on evening, before I knew about oil and varying smoking points. So I turned the heat all the way up, added some EVOO, and tossed in my shrimp. About a minute later I has flames up to the ceiling so I grabbed the ban, ran out the back door and flung the shrimp out into the night. It was a bad toss, and a bunch of them landed on my g/f's car, and continued to burn. I got them off as best I could without burning myself, and eventually all the flames went out. Luckily there was no damage to the car, but my g/f's car sure looked like a mess, a smelled none too firendly either.

college_cook said:
I was making some shrimp on evening, before I knew about oil and varying smoking points. So I turned the heat all the way up, added some EVOO, and tossed in my shrimp. About a minute later I has flames up to the ceiling so I grabbed the ban, ran out the back door and flung the shrimp out into the night. It was a bad toss, and a bunch of them landed on my g/f's car, and continued to burn. I got them off as best I could without burning myself, and eventually all the flames went out. Luckily there was no damage to the car, but my g/f's car sure looked like a mess, a smelled none too firendly either.

Wow your oil caught on fire AFTER you added in the shrimp??? That's pretty impressive. I've never seen that before.

college_cook said:

LOL . that is a pretty funny mental image. You running out of the house and tossing flaming shrimp on your g/f car.

I think the worse mess I've ever made myself was the time I
put the [size=-1]asparigus on to steam... and forgot all about it. No fire
but there sure was a lot of stinky smoke and my poor pan was ruined.
It took forever to get the smell out of the house.

My mom.. did put HOT HOT oil in a plastic container once. I told her it would melt and she wouldn't listen to me. After all I was just a kid... lol. She poured
it in and said "see, it didn't melt". Then she picked it up. The top half came up
but the bottem melted to the counter and the oil spilled down on to the floor
and melted it too. I loved saying "see, I told you so". She didn't laugh. I
wonder why? lol
[/size]

When my husband and I were first dating we decided to cook our first meal together. We didn't have our own stove, (nor pots & pans and utensils!) (and apparantly no common sense), so went upstairs to a neighbors to use her electric stove. Our menu: pork chops, peas, chips. I put the frozen peas in my aluminium tea-kettle, he did the chips in my girlfriend's ceramic pot. We were going to broil the chops (I seem to recall that we never thought of seasoning) in the oven. The peas cooked all right, and the chips were doing fine in the oil, but those pork chops just didn't want to be cooked. So, hubby turned off the plate and put a lid on the pot where the chips had finished frying in the hot oil - they were done, you see, and every few minutes we'd just keep checking those forever pink chops. They never did cook, and we gave up. When we finally had the sense to look in on the chips, they had turned to little pieces of charcoal, floating in the oil. The peas, thoroughly overcooked in the water in the tea pot, were edible, so we ate them and went to the bar (Rose & Shamrock) across the street. I have a worse story, but it's too shaming. -Sandyj

Why didn't I just make PBJ?

The first time my husband-to-be came to visit me, I was looking after my sister's family's house while she they were away. He arrived in the morning, and we talked and played records and were having a grand time getting to know each other. However, it began to get close to lunch, and I began to feel a bit panicky that I'd have to offer some food. I had no idea what to offer and no confidence whatsoever. This was in South Africa, and nobody really goes in for tinned/canned pre-prepared food, but I had been in the US for years, and it was the first thought I had (maybe my sister has a tin of spaghetti-os or something?). I began to wish he would just go home. Eventually, I could ignore our grumbling stomachs no more, and I made a feeble offer of lunch, by now desperately hoping he'd say no, but he didn't....I fished around in her cupboards, no tins. I looked deeper, moving to a storage pantry not even in the kitchen. At the back, behind Christmas things on a dark shelf, dusty with age, one lone tin of ravioli sat waiting. (you have no idea how unusual this was, for my sister/family, at the time! in retrospect I'm guessing that tin must have been there for years). Thank goodness. With relief, I opened it up, and poured the contents into a dish. A good inch of reddish oil was on top of some dubious looking raviolis. Even I could see it didn't look right. But, I pressed on. Poured off the oil, found and grated some cheddar to sprinkle on top to disguise it a bit, and stuck it in the oven under the broiler. Sliced and buttered some bread, poured out some cold milk, set the table, seated new boyfriend. Fetched the ravioli. Brought to table. His eyes widened in horror when I set it down. Ok, I know it's bad, I'm thinking, but not that bad. What's he looking at? I looked down to where his eyes were fixed, and there in the center of the cheese was a fly, kicking it's leg in the last throes of death. Gallantly, soon2bDH fished it out, dished up a heaping plate full and proceeded to eat. Personally, I just stuck with a slice of bread and some milk. Finally, the meal was over and he left. That night he was sick, and for about three weeks after, every time he saw me, he'd get sick. I'm amazed we made it past the first date. -Sandy

Back
Top Bottom