"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-02-2008, 05:39 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasgirl View Post
I know, stupid question, but, I get strong cravings for veggies often. Is this caused from not enough vitamins or what? I don't mean, "Yum, that's sounds good", kind of craving, I mean, If I don't get it, nothing tastes good. I will get that way about bread too. I could go without meat anytime, as long as I have veggies.
Stress and how people were taught to eat as kids have more to do with cravings than whether you're missing vitamins. From LOL Causes of Cravings :

Some people believe that they can sense needed nutrients in foods, so they naturally develop a craving for that food. Although our senses can detect salt and sugar in our foods, we cannot taste or smell the proteins, carbohydrates, fats or vitamins. This limits special cravings to salt and sugar.

Old 02-02-2008, 05:44 PM   #12
Master Chef

Hmmm, I was never made to clean my plate. Momma always told us to eat until we're full. Never made a fuss if we didn't finish. She was just happy that we ate.
As for stress, not sure on that part either. When I stress, I don't eat at all.
I bought asparagus the other night and ate that with tacos and tamales, lol, yeah, not a good combo, but, I just had to have it.

Old 02-02-2008, 05:45 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

for your own sake, tg, please don't light up.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 05:45 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
Was this before you quit smoking by chance?
I used to drink a half gallon of OJ a day, when I smoked. Apparently, I've learned nicotine can deplete you of Vitamin C.
Once I quit, when I got pregnant, after about a month I would get nauseous if I had too much OJ.
I'm guessing the smoking, IMHO??
Old 02-02-2008, 05:58 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clienta View Post
Pregnancy
I wasn't going to say that
Seriously, it's probably the not smoking for a few days thing. Food start tasting really good
Old 02-02-2008, 06:04 PM   #16
Master Chef

Actually, this has been going for a few years now.
No BT, I am 2 days, 8 hours, 34 minutes and 45 seconds smokefree!! Not going to let it happen again.
Old 02-02-2008, 08:58 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

way to go, tg.

you have too much to lose to give in to a passing craving.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 09:44 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
tg - I do believe you are being "told" what to eat. It's happened to me many times with various foods then after some blood work I was deficient in certain things that definitely correlated with my cravings.

You might want to talk to your doctor and see if there is some sort of screening (blood or otherwise) they can do to start you getting the nutrients you are deficient on. I've never smoked so I may not know what I'm talking about but I can only assume you are deficient on some things - as ALL of are!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 11:17 PM   #19
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I think there are really a lot of reasons we crave foods. Sometimes it is a deficiency, sometimes we see or smell something that makes us want a particular food, sometimes a memory of something you did a long time ago will trigger a food craving.

I have always liked to chew ice (small pieces--my aunt broke her tooth on a big piece). One day at work I got my big cup of ice, as I did every day. Someone saw me with it and asked, "Do you have an iron deficiency?" I responded that I did, as a matter of fact, have an iron deficiency. She told me that is a sign of that. That has been confirmed by several things I have read. The doctor told me to start taking iron because of my anemia, and my ice cravings went away. I ran out of iron and recently noticed that I have been wanting ice. Shortly after, I noticed that when I prick my finger to test my blood glucose level, the blood is watery, so I knew the anemia was back. The part I don't understand though is, why ice? Why not water? Ice is just frozen water. Is there a lot of iron in ice? And if there is, wouldn't there be the same amount in water? All I can think of is that it is the chewing more than anything you are actually getting from the water. Strange.

Barbara
Old 02-03-2008, 12:16 AM   #20
Executive Chef

I agree with GB, the body tells you when you are deficient with regards to vitamins and nutrients, go with it. I eat a well balanced diet, but sometimes I crave things, as we all do.