What will cause cravings?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

texasgirl

Master Chef
I know, stupid question, but, I get strong cravings for veggies often. Is this caused from not enough vitamins or what? I don't mean, "Yum, that's sounds good", kind of craving, I mean, If I don't get it, nothing tastes good. I will get that way about bread too. I could go without meat anytime, as long as I have veggies.

In high school we were taught "cravings denote a deficiency in the system". It might be the vitamins or it could be something else, but you body is telling you you need something the veggies and bread have. Listen to those cravings.

Maybe your nose too. The wifey just took three layers of cake out of the oven...I'm craving warm cake!!!!!!!!;) The smell of popocorn popping makes me want popcorn...NOW!!:LOL:

bob, i seriously doubt that tg needs to get her nose taken care of.

oh, wait, i just read the rest of your post, nevermind. :cool:

Maybe your nose too. The wifey just took three layers of cake out of the oven...I'm craving warm cake!!!!!!!!;) The smell of popocorn popping makes me want popcorn...NOW!!
I'm at work most of the time that I start craving. Storage facility, hey, maybe I need more Iron!!:LOL:
J/K. I know how that smell thing plays. That is a serious danger when your in the grocery store and they are cooking things in the Deli!! Bad news!!

bob, i seriously doubt that tg needs to get her nose taken care of.

oh, wait, i just read the rest of your post, nevermind. :cool:

HaHa BT, nothing wrong with my nose, imo, now, my ears are a different thing. I have really good hearing!!:angel::LOL:

I know, stupid question, but, I get strong cravings for veggies often. Is this caused from not enough vitamins or what? I don't mean, "Yum, that's sounds good", kind of craving, I mean, If I don't get it, nothing tastes good. I will get that way about bread too. I could go without meat anytime, as long as I have veggies.

Stress and how people were taught to eat as kids have more to do with cravings than whether you're missing vitamins. From LOL Causes of Cravings :

Some people believe that they can sense needed nutrients in foods, so they naturally develop a craving for that food. Although our senses can detect salt and sugar in our foods, we cannot taste or smell the proteins, carbohydrates, fats or vitamins. This limits special cravings to salt and sugar.

Hmmm, I was never made to clean my plate. Momma always told us to eat until we're full. Never made a fuss if we didn't finish. She was just happy that we ate.
As for stress, not sure on that part either. When I stress, I don't eat at all.
I bought asparagus the other night and ate that with tacos and tamales, lol, yeah, not a good combo, but, I just had to have it.

Was this before you quit smoking by chance?
I used to drink a half gallon of OJ a day, when I smoked. Apparently, I've learned nicotine can deplete you of Vitamin C.
Once I quit, when I got pregnant, after about a month I would get nauseous if I had too much OJ.
I'm guessing the smoking, IMHO??

Actually, this has been going for a few years now.
No BT, I am 2 days, 8 hours, 34 minutes and 45 seconds smokefree!! Not going to let it happen again.

tg - I do believe you are being "told" what to eat. It's happened to me many times with various foods then after some blood work I was deficient in certain things that definitely correlated with my cravings.

You might want to talk to your doctor and see if there is some sort of screening (blood or otherwise) they can do to start you getting the nutrients you are deficient on. I've never smoked so I may not know what I'm talking about but I can only assume you are deficient on some things - as ALL of are!

I think there are really a lot of reasons we crave foods. Sometimes it is a deficiency, sometimes we see or smell something that makes us want a particular food, sometimes a memory of something you did a long time ago will trigger a food craving.

I have always liked to chew ice (small pieces--my aunt broke her tooth on a big piece). One day at work I got my big cup of ice, as I did every day. Someone saw me with it and asked, "Do you have an iron deficiency?" I responded that I did, as a matter of fact, have an iron deficiency. She told me that is a sign of that. That has been confirmed by several things I have read. The doctor told me to start taking iron because of my anemia, and my ice cravings went away. I ran out of iron and recently noticed that I have been wanting ice. Shortly after, I noticed that when I prick my finger to test my blood glucose level, the blood is watery, so I knew the anemia was back. The part I don't understand though is, why ice? Why not water? Ice is just frozen water. Is there a lot of iron in ice? And if there is, wouldn't there be the same amount in water? All I can think of is that it is the chewing more than anything you are actually getting from the water. Strange.

:)Barbara

I agree with GB, the body tells you when you are deficient with regards to vitamins and nutrients, go with it. I eat a well balanced diet, but sometimes I crave things, as we all do.

Back
Top Bottom