What will you do for New Year's Eve? Any Resolutions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nephew and girlfriend over for cards and junkfood. Watch the ball drop and toast with gingerale!! Cooking a turkey and having the kids and grandkids over for dinner on New Years day. Nothing fancy, just easy cheesy!!

Tattrat, I feel like strangling you right now. My DH didn't like living in Hawaii (after over a decade) and here we are. I am remembering many new years eves and mornings on the beaches at Bellows AFS (where we were married). Oh-my-oh-my.

Yes, IL has gone from being an open smoking state to having laws so restrictive that you quite literally cannot walk down Main Street smoking because you might get a wisp of smoke in the door of a business. You have to understand ... I'VE NEVER SMOKED IN MY LIFE. But I think this is extreme. Now smokers are supposedly not even allowed to step outside of the restaurant/bar for their fix. They have to move to Iowa or buy a farm (OK, I'm exaggerating, but given where we live, not by much).

I've never made ny resolutions. I have recently decided that I need to stop spending money "nickle and diming" - on treats (london fogs and rocket donuts mostly) :LOL:
I've gotten much better since we've moved into town. I'd like to cut back even more though.

We usually stay home on New Year's Eve. This year will be no exception. We usually eat chips and dip or crackers and cheese. When I have them I cook black-eyed peas at midnight. When we have the money we do a few fireworks. Of course we watch the ball drop in New York (on TV of course).

I have a couple weird things that I insist on for New Year's. We have to start each new year with freshly washed sheets and blankets on the bed, and we always start the new year with a new toothbrush. (Of course we also get new toothbrushes on April 1, July 1, and October 1--my own personal weirdness).

As far as resolutions, I don't really formally make them, but I do plan to continue to lose weight and get back to riding my exercise bike. I mapped out a route to my daughter's house (2,598.96 miles) and I am riding my exercise bike "to" her house. :cool: I have gotten away from it, but I intend to get back to it. I also have a FastTrack II which also shows the miles, so part of my trip may be "walking!" I made a chart that shows how far I still have left to go. I have only ridden 66 miles so far but if I get back into it like I mean to I should make a little better time. I thought doing it this way would make it a little more interesting than just riding the bike. I also ride while watching something I like on TV so it goes quickly.

Happy New Year everyone!

:)Barbara

As far as resolutions, I don't really formally make them, but I do plan to continue to lose weight and get back to riding my exercise bike. I mapped out a route to my daughter's house (2,598.96 miles) and I am riding my exercise bike "to" her house.
I love this idea Barbara!!! I am very goal-oriented so choosing a destination and then walking the necessary miles to get there would work for me. (I think I'll pick Cancun, though.) Thanks for sharing this - it sounds like it will be fun. Have a wonderful New Year!

New Years Eve will probably be very low key as we are in MD right now and returning the day before - alot of clean up from Christmas when we get home. Maybe some junk food and thinkless tv or movies. As far as resolutions, I really don't make them. I like Barbara's "goal" - my goal, therefore, would be to TRY to get to church more often. I might attempt a prime rib for New Years Day - although everyone in my family eats beef well done and I refuse to ruin a prime rib like that so I'm not sure.......

With any luck my son will have the night off and I will get to babysit (2 of my granddaughters and my grandson - in addition to my step-mom) while he and my DIL go out to party. We'll cook something together for supper, watch some TV, make some cookies, if it's a clear sky we'll break out the telescope and do some star gazing - or get on the radio and see if we can catch any satellite signals (the ISS would be a major coupe), then eat the cookies we made and have hot cider, spiced tea or cocoa to warm up - and watch the ball drop in NYC.

As for my resolutions - just one, the only one I know I can keep: I resolve not to make any resolutions! :wacko:

Last edited:
With any luck my son will have the night off and I will get to babysit (2 of my granddaughters and my grandson - in addition to my step-mom) while he and my DIL go out to party. We'll cook something together for supper, watch some TV, make some cookies, if it's a clear sky we'll break out the telescope and do some star gazing - or get on the radio and see if we can catch any satellite signals (the ISS would be a major coupe), then eat the cookies we made and have hot cider, spiced tea or cocoa to warm up - and watch the ball drop in NYC.

As for my resolutions - just one, the only one I know I can keep: I resolve not to make any resolutions! :wacko:

That sounds like a great night. Enjoy!

dh is working, he will be up all night. This is our first new year's living in town. I don't know if they do fireworks on the bay or anything. It'll be a quiet night. Watch some tv, play on dc.

We don't usually go out, but this year we've been invited to a dinner party (our friends aren't cooking, they're having it catered) and one other couple, so we'll be a party of 6.
Many nice things associated with this.....it's within our condo...therefore no driving, the fact that these young people want to share this evening with us...."the old couple"....hahahahaha. As a host gift we're taking some ice wine and some of my home baked cookies....will have to nap that afternoon so that we can stay up for midnite....ROFL.....Happy New Year to everyone!!!....May you be healthy, wealthy and wise!!!!

I am attending a party a 2:00 pm. Everyone is either bringing appetizers or desserts. I have been requested to bring my deep dark chocolate cake. I plan on staying at the party for 2-3 hours. I really don't like to be out on nights that there could be inebriated drivers on the road. That evening I may experiment with the fondue pot I received for Christmas. Either chocolate or a cheese fondue, I have not made up my mind which I want to make.

I really don't make resolutions. I strive to improve myself throughout the year.

Lou and I are going to Birdland Jazz club in NYC to listen to Hillary Kole and then off to Delta Grill for the best cajun/creole cuisine NYC has to offer.

I don't believe in resolutions. (As a kid, I didn't believe in giving up anything for lent, either). Sure, it's great to have a clean slate; but too often, resolutions tend to be negative or about denial. Life shouldn't be about denial. Life should be celebrated with joie de vivre apparent in all you do. Find balance and harmony and the rest will fall into place, including the things you'd like to eliminate or change. You should examine your life everyday, not once a year. Set small goals, things that you know you can achieve, and it will always lead to accomplishing bigger goals you barely considered possible.

Hear the music, and dance like no one is watching you. If you can do that, resolutions are not going to be necessary.

You got that right, girl.

Yes, IL has gone from being an open smoking state to having laws so restrictive that you quite literally cannot walk down Main Street smoking because you might get a wisp of smoke in the door of a business. You have to understand ... I'VE NEVER SMOKED IN MY LIFE. But I think this is extreme. Now smokers are supposedly not even allowed to step outside of the restaurant/bar for their fix. They have to move to Iowa or buy a farm (OK, I'm exaggerating, but given where we live, not by much).

You're not exaggerating much, Claire.
I can manage going to a restaurant and not smoking, but I want to be able to light one when I get to the parking lot. What gets me, if I were still in business, I wouldn't be able to smoke in my own greenhouse.
:mad:

Vera and others; once upon a time, many years ago in a land far away I wrote a newspaper column about this.

How about we CAN make positive resolutions and lental offerings.

A friend of mine said she was going to make a point of saying something nice to someone every day during lent. She was surprised at how negative she was when she really thought about it. She was determined to find a compliment.

SO resolutions do not have to be about denial. It can be buying 3 extra cans of soup and dropping them at the food bank every month. It can be, I WILL remember being a teenager myself when my kids are driving me crazy. It can be, well, I'm driving by that sr citizens center almost every day, I'll stop once a week and read a chapter of a book for 15 minutes.

Yes, if life was perfect, the new years resolution to lose 20 lbs, quit smoking, etc, would work. But maybe we need to think more positively, and in smaller increments. Think of something small, something that will take only a minute or five, and tag it on to something else you're doing. Voila! Sucess! The concept of trying to find something to compliment others on actually makes YOU feel happier, it really does.

Oh yeah, I said earlier that I had no New Year's resolutions. I DO have one. To lose some weight.

Besides, the docs have been after me to lose some.

Vera and others; once upon a time, many years ago in a land far away I wrote a newspaper column about this.

How about we CAN make positive resolutions and lental offerings.

A friend of mine said she was going to make a point of saying something nice to someone every day during lent. She was surprised at how negative she was when she really thought about it. She was determined to find a compliment.

SO resolutions do not have to be about denial. It can be buying 3 extra cans of soup and dropping them at the food bank every month. It can be, I WILL remember being a teenager myself when my kids are driving me crazy. It can be, well, I'm driving by that sr citizens center almost every day, I'll stop once a week and read a chapter of a book for 15 minutes.

Yes, if life was perfect, the new years resolution to lose 20 lbs, quit smoking, etc, would work. But maybe we need to think more positively, and in smaller increments. Think of something small, something that will take only a minute or five, and tag it on to something else you're doing. Voila! Sucess! The concept of trying to find something to compliment others on actually makes YOU feel happier, it really does.
Thanks for this, Claire. We forget we can make resolutions that benefit others just as easily as ones that benefit ourselves. Remember a few years back the "Practice Random Acts Of Caring and Kindness" concept? I have always had a blast with this because it allows you to be really creative in thinking up lovely little acts that surprise and delight the recipient. Sometimes, it's the only nice thing that has happened to that person in a long time. Anyway, it's lots of fun and my kids have always gotten a kick out of thinking up things.

All 12 of us will be going out to our favorite Chinese restaurant for dinner. Then we will all come home and relax, play with the little guys til midnight then the happy birthdays begin, whistles, bells the whole nine yards then we all enjoy various desserts that I'm in the process of putting together..so far a chocolate cheesecake, a few cream puffs and now to start on some panna cotta...not sure yet what else, i do have some of Katie E.'s devils food cake left...
kadesma;)

man I'm so jealous of Tatrat right now, I wonder if I can convince him to trade places with me, I'm sure he can handle the line, and I'm darn sure I can handle the cruise! :) :) :)

As I mentioned earlier, we'll be having our traditional fondue dinner for our New Year's Eve meal, then celebrate at midnight with champagne.

New Year's Day meal will be grilled ribeye steaks with Gorgonzola/onion/mushroom cream sauce, twice-baked potatoes and (more) holiday sweets for dessert.

Back
Top Bottom