What would be in your bag?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

To you, what does the word soda mean?

• A carbonated soft drink like Coke or Pepsi.

Votes: 36 64.3%
  • Seltzer water

Votes: 10 17.9%
  • Baking soda

Votes: 6 10.7%
  • Something else (please explain)

Votes: 4 7.1%

• Total voters

Barbara L

Traveling Welcome Wagon
If someone asked you to pick up some soda for them at the grocery store, what would be in your bag? My daughter would have a bottle of Pepsi or some other kind of what I call pop. A lot of people would have seltzer water for mixed drinks. I would have a box of baking soda in mine. I have seen lots of debates on what people call carbonated soft drinks, but I don't remember ever seeing this one.

:) Barbara

My first response is a carbonated beverage such as coke or ginger ale. However, I'd ask what kind.

A lot of folks in this area still call them tonics.

I have always called a carbonated drink a soda. Someone once told me they thought that calling it a soda was weird. Soda that is used for baking I have always called it baking soda. Some people call carbonated drinks either pop or soda pop.

In the South, everything is a Coke!:LOL:

"Give me a Coke, please"

"Do you want Pepsi, Big Orange or 7-up?"

In Canada where "soda" is most often called "pop", the first thing that springs to my mind is soda water (seltzer), the second is baking soda :)

Half Baked said:
In the South, everything is a Coke!:LOL:

"Give me a Coke, please"

"Do you want Pepsi, Big Orange or 7-up?"
The question wasn't what you call soft drinks, but what "soda" is to you. LOL

Where in the south do you live? I live in South Carolina and they don't call all drinks Coke here.

:) Barbara

I've lived in TN, GA and AL.

The question wasn't what you call soft drinks, but what "soda" is to you. LOL

LOL, I just get chatty.:blush:

I did vote on seltzer.

Andy M. said:
My first response is a carbonated beverage such as coke or ginger ale. However, I'd ask what kind.

I'm with you on that. If I'm referring to mixed alcoholic drinks, then soda is club soda. But, if it's G rated beverages, I'd assume flavoured, like cola or ginger ale..

In this bunch, it would be a mixed bag:LOL:
DH, daughters and #2 son...diet coke, pepsi
Cade, Ethan, consider lemonade as soda
Carson (17months.) and Olivia (6 months) dig milk as soda:LOL:
Me don't drink it at all..
Now sons-in-law, well, beer:rolleyes:
goofey bunch what?

kadesma:-p

I have lived so many places. Now it is the midwest. Pop is things like Coke, Pepsi, etc. When you order a "Scotch and Soda" it should mean club soda. But you can still find pockets of confusion. When I was a child, my memere asked me if I wanted tonic, and I was totally confused.

It definitely depends on where you are raised &/or where you live. I grew up in NY, & "soda" is definitely defined as a carbonated beverage like Coke, Pepsi, Ginger Ale - even seltzer, etc.

Baking Soda is called "Baking Soda".

I've so far found the same to be true here in Virginia.

Now when I visited my relatives in Illinois, I never once heard the term soda with reference to anything. Carbonated beverages were called "pop". Paper bags were called "sacks". And - this really threw me - jelly doughnuts were called "Bismarcks"!!

What a wonderful diverse world it is we live in!!

Mmmmmmmm Bismarcks!!! I'm craving one now dang it!

Soda here is baking soda. Pop is what we call carbonated stuff.

Soda, to me, includes all carbonated beverages. If someone were to call and say they just wanted 'soda' (with no other qualifying information) I would get carbonated water... just plain soda that one would use in making mixed drinks (although I sometimes just drink plain soda straight up).

Back
Top Bottom