What would be in your bag?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

To you, what does the word soda mean?

• A carbonated soft drink like Coke or Pepsi.

Votes: 36 64.3%
  • Seltzer water

Votes: 10 17.9%
  • Baking soda

Votes: 6 10.7%
  • Something else (please explain)

Votes: 4 7.1%

• Total voters
soda is a prefix donating Sodium (Natrium) and/or it`s salts.
a bit like Potash is for Potassium (Kalium).
soda salts are used to make fizzy drinks, or a levening agent (as the Hydrogen carbonate "bicarb").
so it really all depends on the context it`s used in :)

Ok, I go for soda water...i.e. the mixer.

In the UK I think that would be the norm. Coke etc would be refered to as fizzy drinks, soft drinks, pop if you are a little older or very young. What is baking soda in US is bicarboanate of soda here, although we usually just say "Bicarb."

it`s encouraging to see that of the 4 votes so far, in (OTHER), non have picked up a box of Washing Soda, leading to bubbles of an entirely Different sort! :)

I grew up in Chicago, where soft drinks are called "POP!" Even now, after years of living in places where they're called "Soda," I still say "Pop."

"Soda" to me is Club Soda. I always refer to baking soda as "baking soda." no confusion there. :)

Half Baked said:
In the South, everything is a Coke!:LOL:

"Give me a Coke, please"

"Do you want Pepsi, Big Orange or 7-up?"

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

soda is the soda pop here too.

Bismarcks? Never heard of it, but if it involves a jelly doughnut, I'm in!
(I remember my Chicago cousin calling her sneakers "gym shoes"...)

Soda is a carbonted beverage, ie coke, pepsi, but I dont like those sodas, my choice is Polland spring sparkling water (carbonated flavored water).

To me, soda is refering to coke or pepsi ... "Can you grab me a soda (diet coke)". Around here, if you want soda with your drink, it's "with charge water".

BreezyCooking said:
...jelly doughnuts were called "Bismarcks"!! ...

Breezy, we grew up with them called Bismarcks too and my dad still advertises them as such from his grocery store bakery ... "Lemon filled Bismarks - 3 for $1.00" or "Cherry Bismark special this week". When I went to college, a roomie asked if I wanted a jelly donut and I had NO CLUE what she was talking about!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom