What would you do if you got to meet Chef Boyardee?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi Doorknob...

let's see... first I'd thank him for making so many things that my son could fix for himself when I wasn't there to cook dinner. Then I'd ask him why all his foods taste pretty much the same. My son sure loved it all when he was a kid but... I could never eat any of it. ICK!!!!! I think that he'd prbly not want to talk toooo much after that.

What would you talk to him about?

I'd tell him to use more wholesome ingredients (especially whole-wheat pasta nopodles) and keep the kid freindly flavor. I'd also ask him to use more variety, that is, change up the herbs & spices, make something without the added cheese-product, add veggies, etc. Other than that, the pre-cooked pasta meals are useful to those just learning to cook. They should be nutritionally sound though.

Seeeeey; Goodweed of the North

before you go assinating the guy, go check your facts people!!!

chef boy-ar-dee was a real italian born chef, named hector boiardi, who began working in kitchens at the age of 11, and at 17 moved to NYC to work at the plaza hotel. After working in various upscale restaurants in ny, including the ritz-carleton, and then the greenbriar in west virginia, (where he catered president woodrow wilson's wedding) he had made a name for himself and his culinary talents. Eventually he opened his own restaurant, and began selling his very popular homemade sauces in milk bottles to regular customers. this led to a seperate business of jarring sauces, then selling them with dried pasta and packets of cheese to go with it.
eventually, he americanized his name, boiardi to boy-ar-dee, and merged his business with a huge conglomerate.
he is credited with almost single handedly popularizing italian cuisine in america.

so, if i were to meet him, i'd shake his hand, and try to get his recipes for his sauces. :)

you people need to watch the history channel more often.

buckytom said:

chef boy-ar-dee was a real italian born chef, named hector boiardi, who began working in kitchens at the age of 11, and at 17 moved to NYC to work at the plaza hotel. After working in various upscale restaurants in ny, including the ritz-carleton, and then the greenbriar in west virginia, (where he catered president woodrow wilson's wedding) he had made a name for himself and his culinary talents. Eventually he opened his own restaurant, and began selling his very popular homemade sauces in milk bottles to regular customers. this led to a seperate business of jarring sauces, then selling them with dried pasta and packets of cheese to go with it.
eventually, he americanized his name, boiardi to boy-ar-dee, and merged his business with a huge conglomerate.
he is credited with almost single handedly popularizing italian cuisine in america.

so, if i were to meet him, i'd shake his hand, and try to get his recipes for his sauces. :)

Wow. I can use that as my next biography essay...thanks!:chef:

I wouldn't have much to say to the fellow, myself. I can't stand the smell of Chef Boyardee stuff. :sick: I used to make my son eat when I wasn't home. haha

:heart:
Z

I'd be willing to bet that Hector Boiardi would refuse to eat Chef Boyardee's stuff!

Last edited:
Ishbel.. it's a brand of cheap canned food. It's ok if you're despartate but..pretty unhealthy and not too tastey.

buckytom said:

That's is where the problem is. Most people do not know what's real Italian food. That's how places like Bucca di Beppo and Olive Garden can get so popular :sick:

its not that bad is it folks? Better than a sharp stick in the eye, aye?

Mommason used to add a lil extra garlic, and oregano, warm it up, and then stir in some mozzerella just before serving it. Garlic bread if she was in the mood.

Guess if i met him I would have to say thanks. At a buck a can I would have never got through college without him.

Last edited:
If I were starving and in a hurry, given the choice between Chef Boyardee brand (yes, I did know he was a real person--I'm sure his cooking was much better than the C.B. canned yuck) and Franco-American, I would definitely have to choose Franco-American. I have never liked Spaghetti-o's, but in a pinch their spaghetti is ok if you put lots of cheese on it. Home made is SO much better though!

:) Barbara

To put things in perspective, all is dependant on what you are used to. My stepfather hated Oregano, and so it wasn't used in making tomato sauces in our home. I had also never tasted Sweet Basil. There is an Itallian gathering place in my home town that sells spaghetti every Friday night, like other places have fish-fries. There spaghetti is wildly popular. My Dad, Stepfather, sisters, and mother thought it incredible stuff. For me, it was overcooked, somewhat scorched, and fairly bland. I don't like it very much at all.

As a point of fact, one of my first eye-opening experiences in cuisine came during boot camp, when for one day, we were allowed to eat at the regular mess hall. They served spaghetti that day, and I was treated to my first tasting of oregano and basil. It was love at first bit. In retrospect, that sauce was runny, and was standard U.S. Navy fare. That is, it wasn't bad, but I wouldn't make it like that.

That's one of the things that prompted me to learn to cook. I found a whole new world of flavors that I had never tasted before. But when I was growing up, I thought the spaghetti at the Itallian gathering club was phenominal. And I thought my older sister made some of the best spaghetti on the planet. And Chef Boy-ar-Dee spaghettie dinners, along with their boxed pizza kits, and Apian Way pizza kits were just incredible. They were favorites. Adn then I tasted Square Pan deep dish pizza in San Diego, and it was the same thing all over again. Suddenly, the boxed kits I grew up loving became something less than appetizing.

But there are many who grew up with less than great cooks for parents, who truly enjoy the canned and boxed foods. And you can include Hambuger Helper in that type of food, along with all types of TV-Dinners.

There are so many people who just eat because they have to, who have never enjoyed a truly home-cooked meal. And for them, the convenience foods are adequate. They like them. My only complaint is that most conveniance foods are so lacking in nutritional value. I am dead set against that. I detest the big food chains for their lack of care about people's health, and that profits are their only motivating factor.

And that's my say on this subject.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Back
Top Bottom