"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-13-2008, 12:38 PM   #11
Executive Chef

You absolutely did the correct thing. To not go over was your smartest move, second - the police. I would have remained anonymous to the neighbor, til I knew what was up - just in case..... if you understand what I mean.

Good all is well.
Atta girl!

Old 06-13-2008, 12:39 PM   #12
Head Chef

Glad to hear that she is okay, not so glad to hear that the dogs were bloodied up. I hope at least that the police were able to help her tear them apart.

Yes, it is always a good idea to know your neighbours! You never know when you might need their help, or they will need yours.

Old 06-13-2008, 12:46 PM   #13
Head Chef

I am fairly large, fairly fit, and have a concealed permit. I am also smart enough to never walk into an unknown potentially dangerous situation alone. You did exactly right, the police are trained to handle these situations. If everything is all right, they will check and go on about their business, and nothing is lost. Calling the neighbor afterward is a good idea.
Old 06-13-2008, 04:16 PM   #14
Master Chef

I think you did the right thing. A follow up with the police and the neighbor is not a bad idea either. Some will resent you for calling the cops, but has been pointed out better that then walking in on a loaded gun or a crazed person. Most I think will be understanding and thankful they have a neighbor that cares.
Old 06-13-2008, 05:12 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Tanya, just like everyone else here, I think you did absolutely the right thing. If it had been a domestic violence sort of thing or worse, your interruption might have gotten you into the situation or made it worse. Police have a way of diffusing situations like that just by their presence.

You should be proud of yourself for calling - many times neighbors are afraid to do that! As for me, I wish all my neighbors were are alert and concerned as you!
Old 06-13-2008, 05:16 PM   #16
Senior Cook

Thanks all !
Old 06-13-2008, 06:16 PM   #17
Head Chef

The only thing that I can add is that getting to know your neighbors and their habits is generally a good idea. I know my neighbors, their cars, hours of work, etc, and, if something seems wrong, I would either make a phone call or call someone. Just seems like a good idea to me. I don't mean to be intrusive, just be observant. When neighbors in my neighborhood are going out of town for a while, they let each other know.
Old 06-13-2008, 06:35 PM   #18
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I can't really add anything either, but I agree that you did the right thing. Calling the neighbor before the police came could have gone either way, but fortunately it worked out. Also your neighbor now knows that if someone were to break in and attack her, you would not hesitate to call the police.

Barbara