What would you have done ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TanyaK

Senior Cook
This afternoon I heard a woman screaming next door - our walls are high so I couldn't see what was going on but she sounded as if she was in trouble. I called the police (engaged) and then the flying squad and reported it. I then called the our neighbour who owns the house and told him what I've heard and that I have called the police. He said that he was already on his way and thanked me for calling the police(he sounded quite calm though). The screaming only went on for a minute and then everything went quite and I haven't heard anything since-this was about an hour ago. Haven't heard any sound from next door. So I'm thinking at least if the police didn't show up (quite possible in SA) the owner of the house knows there's something wrong (well it sounded like he already did when I called). BUT then I think what if this guy did something to his wife or girlfriend (we don't know our neighbours at all-I presume the woman living there is his partner) - and then I think I'm paranoid. AND then I think should I have gone over there - but I was too scared as I'm not exactly a big girl (so now I feel like a coward as well) To make things worse DH is away for the weekend :-( What would you have done? (yes I know you big strong guys would have gone next door) AND should I do anything else ?

You did just the right thing Tanya. The only other thing I might do is call the police to follow up and ask if everything is OK and you can go see your neighbour.

I don't know if I qualify as a big strong guy, but I would have done exactly as you did. Call the cops and let them take care of it. Too many people would have done nothing and in my book that is unacceptable. Some people might have gone over there, but that is not a good move in my book. Not knowing what is happening you could be walking into a gun being pointed at your head or something just as bad. the cops know how to deal with things like that.

Finally got through again to my neighbour (his phone has been engaged for the past half hour) and apparently their 2 dogs got into a fight and the screaming was the wife trying to seperate them. (she seriously sounded like she was being attacked-kept on screaming no no no) Funny thing is that I only heard one dog yelping and I presumed he was being hurt as well (the other one probably had his teeth buried in the one who was yelping which is why I didn't hear him- neighbour says there's blood everywhere) Anyway - fortunately the police did arrive which is nice to know. Anyway I'm still glad I called the police because I never would have been able to forgive myself if something did happen. Thanks for all your feedback! And lesson learned today - I shall get to know my neighbours !

Yes that is the right thing. I've down something similar when I was woken at 3am by a man shout and kicking at what turned out to be a door. He was shouting a woman's name and really riled. I could also hear breaking glass. So I called the police and they were outside within minutes (police station is just down the road). Things calmed down fairly quickly and then a police woman knocked at my door to let me know what was happening. Apparently the son of the house had been locked out and was endeavouring to get in!!! Hmmmmmmmmm.

Last edited:
You absolutely did the correct thing. To not go over was your smartest move, second - the police. I would have remained anonymous to the neighbor, til I knew what was up - just in case..... if you understand what I mean.

Good all is well.
Atta girl!

Glad to hear that she is okay, not so glad to hear that the dogs were bloodied up. I hope at least that the police were able to help her tear them apart.

Yes, it is always a good idea to know your neighbours! You never know when you might need their help, or they will need yours.

I am fairly large, fairly fit, and have a concealed permit. I am also smart enough to never walk into an unknown potentially dangerous situation alone. You did exactly right, the police are trained to handle these situations. If everything is all right, they will check and go on about their business, and nothing is lost. Calling the neighbor afterward is a good idea.

I think you did the right thing. A follow up with the police and the neighbor is not a bad idea either. Some will resent you for calling the cops, but has been pointed out better that then walking in on a loaded gun or a crazed person. Most I think will be understanding and thankful they have a neighbor that cares.

Tanya, just like everyone else here, I think you did absolutely the right thing. If it had been a domestic violence sort of thing or worse, your interruption might have gotten you into the situation or made it worse. Police have a way of diffusing situations like that just by their presence.

You should be proud of yourself for calling - many times neighbors are afraid to do that! As for me, I wish all my neighbors were are alert and concerned as you!

The only thing that I can add is that getting to know your neighbors and their habits is generally a good idea. I know my neighbors, their cars, hours of work, etc, and, if something seems wrong, I would either make a phone call or call someone. Just seems like a good idea to me. I don't mean to be intrusive, just be observant. When neighbors in my neighborhood are going out of town for a while, they let each other know.

I can't really add anything either, but I agree that you did the right thing. Calling the neighbor before the police came could have gone either way, but fortunately it worked out. Also your neighbor now knows that if someone were to break in and attack her, you would not hesitate to call the police.

:)Barbara

Back
Top Bottom