"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 09-26-2008, 02:29 PM   #1
Master Chef
Whatcha want/giving for holidays...

seeing as to how i already smelll Christmas, i've thought 'bout gifts since yesterday.
i'm sad & grateful both; last year was Pap's last holiday season, & i missed Thanksgiving & Christmas.
i love Christmas & snow angels & coziness & being around other people... i mean when else is it acceptable to stick nature in your living room & decorate with bulbs...

so as fer gifts, i'm considering sneakers & a watch fer jake.
i was goona get a food processer, a ceramic knife or a new wusthoff & $$$.
you guys...

i believe that life would not be complete sans comfy 'ol tee-shirts, the Golden Girls, and the color pink
& rock on, PITTSBURGH-
luvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 03:05 PM   #2
Traveling Welcome Wagon
We've gotten pretty much everything we wanted this year. I would like to have enough money to go back to our new Christmas tradition we started a few years ago--to drive until we find a restaurant that is open and looks good, for Christmas dinner.

I wish I could watch our grandkids open their gifts.

Barbara L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 03:41 PM   #3
Sous Chef
I told Mrs SK just the other day that I have everything I want, and way more than I deserve.

Told her that anyone wanting to "gift" me this year to donate to toys for tots or drop a toy into that big bucket at Wal-Mart.
Mess with me and you mess with the whole trailer park!!!
smoke king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 06:55 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire
am making crib quilt for youngest in our family, a tradition i started years ago.

if my family wants to make me happy, they know to give me gift cards, big lots, barnes and noble, target, etc. i love spending them.

what they are really giving me are crafts supplies, fabric,books, sewing supplies when cards are from joanne's. they wouldn't know what or how to buy those things for me.
"life isn't about how to survive the storm but how to dance in the rain"
babetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 07:02 PM   #5
Master Chef
Aside from my husband and son, I've become a gift card giver. It keeps me in my spending limits and with money tight right now I need all the help I can get. My son wants anything to do with Star Wars. My husband is happy with food, food and oh yes food.
getoutamykitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 08:36 PM   #6
Sous Chef
Since my family pretty much consists of me my mom and dad, usually just the fact that we get together is enough. They live in Fl, not too far away but usually only see eachother 2 times a year.
They are hard to shop for so I usually have to keep my eyes out early for unique things. I don't mind giving gift cards to friends and co workers but I find it a challange to shop for my parents so I don't know yet.
If you ate pasta and antipasto, would you still be hungry? ~Author Unknown
jeninga75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 07:20 AM   #7
Senior Cook
Send a message via AIM to LeeAnn Send a message via Yahoo to LeeAnn
My girls are stuffed animal lovers and most of their loved pets are back in Washington in storage. They have gotten new ones since being here though, but I was planning on taking them to Build A Bear so they can pick a new one - they will get a very special (handmade of course) gift certificate in their stocking from Santa. :-)

They always get a new journal and a special pen from me each year too, I'll continue with that, just haven't been to Borders yet to pick them out and I'll probably wait until it's a little closer to the holiday time when the seasons things are stocked.

The kids and I are making memory albums of Southampton, where we live, for the grandparents. We are taking pictures of many things here and compiling them into lovely scapbooks, and we have collected oodles of shells and rocks for them. There are beautiful old houses here, little cottages like the one we live in, large (mansion) homes, old and lovely cemetaries, pretty gardens and trees, old businesses - lots of nice things to put in the albums.

My girls and I will get new matching flannel pajamas also, just a fun thing we like to do. We always have homemade gifts too, it's a big tradition for us. Also, we spend quite a bit of time making cookies and other treats to put together gift trays for neighbors and friends.

As for other gifts, not sure yet what I'll be getting everyone. :-)
~there might be a little dust on the bottle, but don't let it fool ya about what's inside~
LeeAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 11:12 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Paul has requested new hunting pants...hunting is all the man ever thinks of these days!!!

David, will get clothes and gift cards for gas or whateve
I think I'll get his girlfriend some jewelry. Not sure what...

Me...heck it's way to early to start thinking about what I want/need.
In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on. Robert Frost
pdswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 09:30 PM   #9
Master Chef
I have been informed I am getting a food processor shortly in the mail for my birthday, so I am going to be wanting more attachments for it, plus a nice cleaver would be good, maybe a new fillet knife as well, that kind of thing.
For her I am considering a ruby necklace to match the emerald one I got her last year for her birthday. X-mas I am thinking of a nice gold and silver anklet for her. That and a new make-up kit to replace the one Abby destroyed.
Wait.... hope she doesn't read this LOL.
Maverick2272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 09:38 PM   #10
Sous Chef
Send a message via AIM to mikki
I have no idea what I'm getting for my girls-16 & 19. hubby and I don't exchange. and for family making cookies, bread and fudge. might send johnny's texas sauce down to all the family that transplanted to Florida.
A pretty boring Christmas really.

mikki is offline   Reply With Quote