"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-03-2016, 11:17 PM   #1
Senior Cook

What's a good perfume to buy my wife?

My wife isn't very "girly" and she ran out of perfume a couple of years ago. I figured I'd buy her a bottle of perfume/cologne for her b-day next week. She's hard to buy for. She never tells me what she wants, and when I buy her a small appliance or something, she complains that I am not romantic. lol

At the supermarket, women walk by and sometimes their perfume is really nice. I am sometimes tempted to ask what perfume they are wearing.

I asked the women at work, and they both giggled and said "it's up to the woman herself, it's very personal!" and wouldn't suggest a perfume for me to buy. Neither wear perfume to work.

What's a good perfume?

Old 03-03-2016, 11:21 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

'It's up to the woman herself. It's very personal.'

Old 03-03-2016, 11:29 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

what's a good perfume to buy my wife?

Oh dear. When I wore cologne, it was Elizabeth Taylor's Passion. Instead I would suggest body wash and some nice smelling lotion. Lots of folks have allergies to perfume. I haven't worn it for many years.

Places like Bed Bath and Beyond have nice gift baskets with body wash, body squirt stuff, and other goodies.
Old 03-04-2016, 01:18 AM   #4
Master Chef

I'm guessing that if she hasn't replaced her perfume since she ran out, she's not into wearing any anymore. I stopped wearing it when I worked in a mall 20 years ago. Didn't want to annoy anyone who came to our stand in case they had an allergy. Now just like Dawg, I don't bother either.

What DOES you wife like to do? Garden? Get her some nice leather garden gloves, maybe a couple of perennials to plant while using them. Maybe read? Take her to a local book shop to browse for something she would enjoy, then take her out to a small cafe. If she likes watching birds outside, get a new feeder and mount it on a shepherd's hook and keep it filled. Maybe a hummingbird feeder, too, if you buy a double hook. I have two doubles outside my kitchen window. BTW, it takes me FOREVER to prep meals because of it, but worth every minute.

If you rack your brain and come up with something she doesn't appreciate, then just throw your hands up in the air, say "well, I tried" and leave the room.

Good luck.
Old 03-04-2016, 01:19 AM   #5
Master Chef

What a nice thought JD.. You're on the right track.
There was a time that every woman had what they wanted for a "signature scent" and it was personal, as every scent doesn't have the same effect on every woman.
It's amazing, but true.
In this generation, people get off on objecting to scents of any kind, and ridiculous in my view.
Anyway, my favorite perfume of all time is Coco, the signature fragrance of Coco Chanel. Buy her some bath powder. She'll love it.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 01:37 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Yes, this is definitely a personal question I too stopped wearing perfume some years ago. I do like nicely scented body lotion, so Dawg has a good thought there.

I love getting a pedicure and DH gave me a gift certificate to my favorite salon for Christmas. He has also gotten me a gift certificate for a massage before, which I greatly appreciated. Another time, it was an entire spa day - a facial, massage, manicure and pedicure, including lunch. I loved it
Old 03-04-2016, 12:57 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I agree with what some others have said, perfume is a very personal thing.

Over the years I have changed my "signature" perfume so, for me, one scent and one scent only might not be right...at the moment.

You might do some sleuthing and see what fragrances your wife gravitates to. See if she likes a floral fragrance or, perhaps, she's more drawn to spicier scents. In the world of perfume you can go from the ridiculous to the sublime when it comes to choices.

As carefully and in a sneaky manner, try to determine what her last fragrance was. Not sure why she's not wearing it, or any other, but maybe she thought you didn't care for it (didn't comment one way or the other when she was wearing it) or that it might have been too costly to warrant it.

Enlist the help of a close friend. Many times friends have information that you don't.

As for what to do...if you are set on buying her perfume, you might want to give her a gift certificate to a high-end store that sells perfume and let her choose for herself and accompany her when she goes to pick it out. You could make the trip a joint effort that both of you could enjoy.
Old 03-04-2016, 01:24 PM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

If you want to make a romantic gesture, pay attention to your wife to learn what she likes and dislikes. You should be doing this anyway. It's part of the deal. If not perfume (she's not used it in years) consider some jewelry or other personal gift.
Old 03-04-2016, 01:27 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

What's a good perfume to buy my wife?

I've always preferred power tools to perfume. Years ago, DH gifted me with a scroll saw and a Dremel. Love them.
Old 03-04-2016, 01:31 PM   #10
Master Chef

I used to buy my wife the perfumes she used regularly. But that was a long time ago....