"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Closed Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 02:08 PM   #91
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
beth you are the bravest woman i have ever known. and your husband is the bravest man. it makes me cry when i think about this turn in your lives. i don't know any people that have handled it better. bless you both.
What Babe said.

I think anyone who goes through a protracted illness with the love of their life has a special place ascribed in heaven when they get there. Hugs to you both.

Old 04-13-2010, 04:06 PM   #92
Certified Cake Maniac

I must say I agree with Babe, Charlie and ChefJune. Beth, I have told you before here and privately that you and your DH are true inspirations and that I was able to put my own problems in perspective with your challenges - mine are almost insignificant in comparison but you have both handled it with grace and strength.

Our cherry tree and Japanese plum have taken a beating. The blossoms were beautiful but too early and now the trees are having a hard time with their foliage. Like Uncle Bob, I am curious about your apple blossoms, did they make it?

You are both in my thoughts and prayers always. I look forward to the next time you can share.

http://beinglydia.com
Old 04-13-2010, 05:09 PM   #93
Chef Extraordinaire

A few of us must face uncertianty every day, life is a hard task master. Not many of us live with the grace and beauty you show us each day. For me you have helped me accept what life has dealt me and to live it with grace and as much strength that I can muster. I give thanks for knowing you.
cj
Old 04-13-2010, 05:27 PM   #94
Certified Cake Maniac

Kades, that is exactly what I was trying to say. Between you and Babetoo, my thoughts have been spoken perfectly!

http://beinglydia.com
Old 04-14-2010, 07:49 AM   #95
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
Kades, that is exactly what I was trying to say. Between you and Babetoo, my thoughts have been spoken perfectly!
Thanks Laurie,
I know you and I know you live as much for helping others as for your self. I feel fortunate to be your friend. There is a specialness about you I wish more had .
Thank you Laurie, for letting me be your friend.
cj
Old 04-14-2010, 09:24 AM   #96
Executive Chef

well, you all have certainly lifted my spirits!

some of my core beliefs also help me, that things happen for a reason, and that things happen as they should

one of the serendipitous events that has also helped both of us was the introduction to the Harry Potter books. Dh and I have both read all seven books since Christmas. I have found inspiration from how Lilly and Harry Potter, Albus Dumbledore and even Severus Scape faced death so bravely and courageously. I found many parallels in the lives of the charcters of those books and our lives. Death is featured many times and I found comfort in reading how they looked at death and were not afraid of it.

Today dh is setting up the scaffolding to begin spray painting the exterior of the house. He is getting discouraged about his diminishing energy level. If he looks tired after a meal/snack, I encourage him to rest a bit. Sometimes he does and sometimes he doesn't. We have spent a lot of time getting the mowers started and writing a list of the yearly maintenance for the Massey-Ferguson tractor. I bush hogged for the first time with my "new" bush hog. The spinach has germinated!!!! and we will set out the broccoli and cabbage plants today.

Dh has admitted that he can not ride his motorcycle to the state of Washington this summer. But he is planning a trip again, with his middle brother. This will be the third summer they have taken a trip together. The first trip was through West Virginia, the second was around New England and they are talking about upstate New York for this summers' trip.

I think the apple blossoms all made it through the freeze. No freezes are expected in the near future so I think the applelets are safe now. I don't think the baby apples can be harmed by freezes, only the blossoms were susceptable to damage.

a photo of dh sailing last week and one taken a few years ago of his motorcycle
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sailing3.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	8019   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0055.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	8020  

Old 04-23-2010, 11:30 AM   #97
Executive Chef

It has been an intense past few weeks, both physically and emotionally. Dh has started on the project of painting the exterior of the house. He had planned to take one week per side, but with the help of friends, it has proceeded much quicker than that.

I had a long talk with one of the friends. He plans to ask dh if he can be present at his death. This conversation has opened up all kinds of ideas of how to handle a service. Dh wants to leave his body to science. So I think we can do any type of service we want, since his body will be taken directly to a university.

He is getting discouraged about his lack of energy and losing weight again. Pepto Bismol is his new friend. He chugs it right out of the bottle.

A few days ago when I was out hunting mushrooms, I could hear the water flowing out the overflow on our old water system that we no longer use. It is still hooked up at the barn so I have been running a hose out to the garden. It has been very dry here and the baby onion plants were starting to die. When we were using this water for household use, there simply was not enough for both us and the garden. It is pretty neat to be able to water the garden now.

some photos of the house painting..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1188.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	8042   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1177.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	8043  

Old 04-23-2010, 02:01 PM   #98
Executive Chef

mollyannes' posting of the very funny Tom Rush video, made me think of, not sure why, this song that has once again come into my life... I have only recently started to listen to music again, was really enjoying silence..this is by the Traveling Wilburys', a super group that came together for a short time, has George Harrison, Bob Dylan and others...they were so good that they have Roy Orbison doing BACKUP vocals on this cut...hope this link works..this song has provided comfort to me an other occassions in my life.

hmmm may not work, the song is entitled "The End of the Line" if you want to google it
Old 04-23-2010, 07:02 PM   #99
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring View Post
mollyannes' posting of the very funny Tom Rush video, made me think of, not sure why, this song that has once again come into my life... I have only recently started to listen to music again, was really enjoying silence..this is by the Traveling Wilburys', a super group that came together for a short time, has George Harrison, Bob Dylan and others...they were so good that they have Roy Orbison doing BACKUP vocals on this cut...hope this link works..this song has provided comfort to me an other occassions in my life.

hmmm may not work, the song is entitled "The End of the Line" if you want to google it
googled, perfect.Just lost my b-i-l he loved this song,
cj
Old 04-23-2010, 08:58 PM   #100
Chef Extraordinaire

i really enjoyed that, thanks.