"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Closed Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 07:46 PM   #101
Chef Extraordinaire

Hey Miss Beth...Just wanted to say Hi, and "show off" my new Bush Hog "Squealer"....I've only used it once...Wow!....what a difference from the old scrap iron one...Really!! What a dangerous piece of junk I was using...If DW hadn't have insisted...I'd prolly woulda tried to get another year out of the old one....Anyway, just want to say Hi and to take care....Think of y'all often!
Stay in Touch!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Old 05-18-2010, 11:00 AM   #102
Executive Chef

okay, still trying to get dh to deal with end of life issues, and he is doing pretty well. He has signed the forms to leave his body to Ohio University for research. The selling point for the tightwad was this will incur the family no expenses at all. The University will pick up his body and mail me the ashes when they are finished. Other universities charge for transport of the body and to return the ashes. I was interested in Ohio State University where a great amount of cancer research takes place, but the no cost option won out.

Just noticed a heavy metal rock star died over the weekend from stomach cancer. I have had a hard time learning how the end plays out. He was diagnosed last summer with early stage stomach cancer, had radiation, was considered beneficial in his case, then he died. In any case, he did not last one year from diagnosis, and with treatment. It has become easy for us to overlook dh's condition because he still functions relatively well....and then we read a story like this..

A book that has been a great help to me is "Dying Well, Peace and Possibilities at the End of Life" written by a Hospice doctor. Even before he knew he had cancer, dh would say he was going to check out, if he ever found himself in a debilitated state. This book directly addresses common fears, especially suicide and not wanting to be a burden on caretakers. It can be a blessing for caretakers to be given the opportunity to care for their loved ones as they lay dying, and this book clearly explains this from both perspectives.

Work on the house exterior continues. Rain has stalled a few projects. The last project on the exterior of the house will be to replace the stationary glass panes in the greenhouse. That will be in a couple of weeks.

Blackie, our tuxedo cat continues to provide comfort to dh. She is let in the house every morning for a while, before going outside for the day. He holds her while he eats his oatmeal every morning.

We are back going over financial stuff. We switched homeowners insurance agents and upgraded our policies. Also he made a spreadsheet (he wanted me to make it) that will show if it pays to take social security benefits early or late. It appears to be beneficial for me to start taking them at age 62 rather than 70.

Dh says he is operating at about 80% of his past energy level. Some days he feels really bad and other days he feels okay. Last week was bad, but this week is tolerable. He is wavering if he can make the motorcycle trip to New England with his brother in July. He is eyeing some BMW rallies in Kentucky and Alabama in the next two weeks. He says what he really wants to spend time doing is working at home, or riding his motorcycle.

And some photos....one for Uncle Bob of my 6 foot cut bush hog...painting the house and the greenhouse glass that will be replaced..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1245.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	8109   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1272.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	8110  

Name:	DSCN1220.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	8111   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1224.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	8112  

Name:	DSCN1306.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	8113  

Old 05-18-2010, 02:03 PM   #103
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
I never cease to be amazed at your calm and resilience, Beth. Please know that both of you are in my prayers daily.

Sending you hugs.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:11 AM   #104
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks for the up date Miss Beth!! I've been thinking about you. ~~~ Sounds like y'all have been busy --- My Mother would say..."You've been as busy as a Bee in a Tar Bucket!! Bravo on finishing up with the exterior projects before it gets so blasted hot!! ~~~ Love the pictures of the work in progress and the new bush hog!!!

Take Care.......

Old 06-03-2010, 07:53 AM   #105
Executive Chef

We are in the final stages of completing the projects dh wanted to do around the homestead. Yesterday the glass in the greenhouse was switched out, right before we were hit with major thunderstorms, and nearly 3 inches of rain. Photos are of the glass coming out, the condition of the glass that was installed 24 years ago, the last pane installed and the almost completed job.

He is off today on his motorcycle to Nashville to see his mom and one brother. We have reservations to visit Fallingwater, Frank Lloyd Wrights creation in SW PA, (will drive a car and stay in a B&B) and then a trip with his other brother on their motorcycles somewhere.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN1390.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	8134   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1400.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	8135  

Name:	DSCN1443.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	8136   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1454.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	8137  

Old 06-03-2010, 08:43 AM   #106
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks for the update Miss Beth...The new glass in the green house looks very nice...Pretty picture!! ~~~ Thunderstorms are everywhere....almost a daily thing here....We don't always get rain, but can hear thunder rumbling in the distance....One afternoon it rained 3 1/2 inches in no time...water was everywhere...ditches over flowing, water across the roads...It want be much longer and it will get to the point where you can't buy a drop of rain...Grrrrrrrrr! ~~ Anyway, it's good to hear that DH is riding and visiting his mom...Your upcoming trip sounds like fun too!!!

Take Care and Stay in Touch!!!

Old 06-03-2010, 09:26 AM   #107
Executive Chef

Beth, the greenhouse looks great. We are having rain most afternoons and like Uncle Bob says, even if it doesn't rain - there is thunder about. Everything is blooming its' head off here but I know soon it will be so hot that nothing feels like blooming. Take care and enjoy your trip. I really admire what you and your dh are doing.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:31 AM   #108
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Gosh, Beth. That looks lovely!
Old 06-17-2010, 11:09 AM   #109
Chef Extraordinaire

Hey Miss Beth!! Just wanted to say Hi, and say I wuz thinkin about y'all. ~~~ It is HOT in Mississippi and it's just starting. Check in when you can!

Old 06-17-2010, 08:34 PM   #110
Senior Cook

Thanks for the update Beth. I've just read your thread. Sad to know what you are encountering now. You'll be in my prayers together with rich. Take care always.