"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Closed Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 10:00 AM   #121
Chef Extraordinaire

you're darn tootin' it's difficult to chime in on this thread. i'm rarely at a loss for words, but the strength, the beauty of your love for each other, the amazing life that you are living has left me completely speechless.

it is what you've shared here that made me realize that we are in the presence of something great. as uncle bob said, it's not some ol' house.

i will say a decade of the rosary on the way home tonight for you and yours, beth. add my heart to all of those here who are with you.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:50 AM   #122
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
i will say a decade of the rosary on the way home tonight for you and yours, beth. add my heart to all of those here who are with you.
thanks BT, really appreciate it

Old 07-09-2010, 06:12 PM   #123
Chef Extraordinaire

Beth, I hope you realize how much hope you give all of us. We all love you and pray for you both.
cj
Old 07-09-2010, 06:21 PM   #124
Certified Cake Maniac

Beth, I want you to know that your note to me yesterday was something special. As I have said often you and your DH are constantly in my thoughts and prayers. And I am with BuckyT that it is hard to have words to say in answer to what you are going through and how you are handling it. It is something special indeed and we can all learn by your examples. I am deeply humbled.

http://beinglydia.com
Old 07-11-2010, 11:58 AM   #125
Executive Chef

kinda an update....we labored for about one week, in mid June, when dh had decided he could not travel any more. He was despondent with that decision. So he decided the trip to New England with his NYC brother was back on. But at literally the last minute, the morning he was to leave, he realized he could not do the trip. So his brother rode here. They ended up doing a two day trip to Elkins, West Virginia that went well. He is sad that he can't tell when he will feel okay to do things, and went he feels crappy and has to cancel plans. He really does not like being unreliable. We have plans to go cemetery crawling in Indiana this coming week that he thinks he can do no matter how he feels. We also plan to visit the Wilbur Wright (we seem to be on a Wright theme) homestead and Museum which is close to my ancestral cemeteries, and also take in the historical museum in New Castle. He is getting better at taking the morphine in a timely manner, instead of waiting way too long suffering and struggling to eat. It is really curious how the morphine affects him; it stops the stomach pressure and nausea, and is very short-lived, while having no other side effects; but he takes a tiny dose which he says is unbelievably bitter. And he plans to drive his truck to Nashville in two weeks. Still taking one day at a time and trying to adjust to each new symptom.
Old 07-11-2010, 05:19 PM   #126
Chef Extraordinaire

Hey Miss Beth....Thanks for the update. I've been thinking about y'all and wondering how things were going. ~~~ So glad the NYC brother made the trip to see dh. I know they had a good ride into West Virginia...Really pretty there. Flew into Huntington a couple of years ago...Drove into eastern Kentucky cemetery crawling for dw family...It was a nice trip...met a lot of super nice people. Crossed over the Ohio river, so I could say I'd been to Ohio! ~~~ Sounds like y'all have some fun days planned. Look forward to hearing about them soon! Take care...one day at a time, and stay in touch!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Old 07-19-2010, 11:44 PM   #127
Master Chef

OK, the latest is that I broke my foot. No biggie, really, except that I'm used to walking almost anywhere under a mile. For two weeks I thought it was nothing, just a sore foot. But my husband didn't know what to think this morning; he didn't like my color or attitudes. So I gave in, and got just what I expected. Broken bone in foot, not much we can do about it. A "shoe" to keep it stiff (basically, as far as I'm concerned, it used to be call a splint). It really is a no big deal except that I'm used to doing a lot of walking, which probably won't happen any time soon. Not happy.
Old 07-20-2010, 01:02 AM   #128
Chef Extraordinaire

sorry to hear that claire, i spent summer before last in a cast up to my knee. fractured my foot in a fall. no fun at all. my still swells once in a while so take care.
Old 07-25-2010, 10:09 AM   #129
Chef Extraordinaire

Morning Miss Beth..... Been thinking about y'all and the trip you went on...I know it was a fun time.....My garden is winding down...It's a good thing I suppose...Yesterday we had to look everywhere to find 8 pint jars for "Chili Sauce"...I kicked up this batch with 6 cayenne, and three Jalapenos ....It has a pretty good "bite" to it and will definitely get your attention!! ~~~~~ Anyway, just wanted to say Hi! When ya have time drop us a note...Everyone would love to hear from you!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Old 07-27-2010, 09:43 AM   #130
Executive Chef

Morning all,

I see I did not mention my incident of early July...seems like I passed out coming back to bed one night, in the bathroom. I have no memory of it; it scared the crap out of dh. I had Hospice take my blood pressure and it was around 200/110.....thinking it may be stress related but the doc is checking out all options. This did not stop us from taking our trip to Indiana, had a great time. This is where we stayed Quaker Hill - Facilities. We ended up having the whole house to ourselves, including the kitchen and dining room. I packed all our food that trip and dh could take his time trying to eat all breakfasts and dinners there. Lunches were a problem, he had great difficulty with them. We spent 3/4ths of one day at the Wilbur Wright museum and were sitting in the car under a shade tree trying to choke down a pancake and he was getting really discouraged, when we heard a funny noise. I spotted a tiny plane zooming around and it turned out to be a family flying several remote controlled airplanes. DH perked up and with pancake in hand, set out to find the remote controllers. They were behind the museum and dh really enjoyed watching them and didn't even notice that he was eating his pancake with no trouble. They even let him fly a trainer, under close supervision, because he about crashed it 12 times. Actually we have noticed that distractions can help him eat. We just signed up with Netflix so we can watch movies while he tries to eat. His attitude is still very good. He took a small consulting job this morning because it is lovely outside and he could ride his motorcycle to the job.

I ended up riding with him, in my car, to Nashville to see his Mom and brother, just got back yesterday. He wants to stay close to home for a while. He is feeling a little scattered because he does not have a big home improvement job going at the moment. I am encouraging a shift into the fun mode, rather than work mode. He is getting ready to sell his work truck and is clearing out a storage room to accommodate all the tools and supplies that are in the truck.

Here is one photo of him looking at one of the airplanes, and one of him helping his Mom wash her dog.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2394.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	8338   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2408.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	8339