"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Closed Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 11:57 AM   #131
Master Chef

So glad you all had a good trip. It is important to keep making memories like that so you have something besides all the hardships to recall. Hope you figure out your own issues with your blood pressure. You guys certainly don't need any other problems!

Old 08-03-2010, 08:18 AM   #132
Executive Chef

DH's symptoms continue to gradually evolve. Eating has proven so difficult that he is eating fewer meals now. He remains stupifyingly cheerful through all this. And I am sure it is for my benefit. He says he has to have a project going to keep him hopeful. He gave me a choice of three projects; replace some rotten boards on the barn, continue interior painting of the house, or take down a dying white ash tree that was leaning over our power line. I chose the tree project. It was tricky, seeing that one of the two trunks was leaning over the line and needed to be felled in the opposite direction of the lean. So a tugging with the tractor was needed, and a few prayers that the wind would cooperate. All fell well. Here are a few pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2420.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	8369   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2424.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	144.6 KB
ID:	8370  

Name:	DSCN2434.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	140.4 KB
ID:	8371   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2444.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	8372  

Old 08-03-2010, 08:58 AM   #133
Chef Extraordinaire

Great photos Beth....I admire your bravery too! ~~ Last year I needed to take down a big oak that lightning had struck..Only one way for it to go... through the eye of a needle....As luck would have it the tree wanted to go somewhere else...I was afraid to risk it so I had a tree removal company take it down...It proved a challenge for them, so I'm glad I didn't attempt it by myself....Glad that all went well for y'all!

Now...How is your blood pressure? Are you monitoring it? Been to a Doctor??? What gives??

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Old 08-03-2010, 09:32 AM   #134
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Now...How is your blood pressure? Are you monitoring it? Been to a Doctor??? What gives??

My blood pressure is still too high. Have had two visits with the doctor, one phone consultation and my next visit is next week. We are working on finding the correct dosage. It has been reduced from the alarming level. I have a nifty machine that takes and records my blood pressure and heart rate and I take all readings to my doctor visits.

Dh has been felling trees annually since 1974. It still makes me nervous to watch.
Old 08-03-2010, 01:58 PM   #135
Chef Extraordinaire

Good news Beth!!...Happy to hear you've taken the necessary steps to get the blood pressure under control....I take daily medication to keep mine in the normal range...Simple as taking a pill once a day ~~ After the Doctor visit next week give us an update...OK? Take care!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Old 08-03-2010, 02:23 PM   #136
Chef Extraordinaire

Beth, I too take b/p meds a lot of them. Please be faithful taking them. I'd hate for you to have any more problems. Bravo for taking things in hand.My continued thoughts and prayers.
cj
Old 08-04-2010, 02:57 PM   #137
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring View Post
My blood pressure is still too high. Have had two visits with the doctor, one phone consultation and my next visit is next week. We are working on finding the correct dosage. It has been reduced from the alarming level. I have a nifty machine that takes and records my blood pressure and heart rate and I take all readings to my doctor visits.
My guess is a lot of your blood pressure problems are being exacerbated by the incredible stress you're having. Not saying that to say you don't need to watch it carefully. As we get older our bodies change. We may not like it, but we have to take care of ourselves.

You're such a trooper. Prayers flying your way, as always.
Old 08-06-2010, 12:13 PM   #138
Chef Extraordinaire

lots of people think taking down trees is easy, until you realize how much energy builds up in a single bending branch, let alone the weight of the entire tree.

most of the landscrapers that i've been friends with call tree surgeons "brothers of the bark" because they're a special group unto themselves. very brave and skilled, but a little nuts, lol.

btw, still keeping you and yours in my thoughts and prayers as well, beth. i'll say another decade today. the light of your love is a constant reminder of what's good in the world, so it should never be far from mind.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:02 AM   #139
Executive Chef

We have finally had a break in the weather; it has been so hot and humid the past few weeks, which is normal for SE Ohio. So dh is off on a short motorcycle ride this cool morning and plans to be back home in time for our weekly visit from Hospice.
He is experiencing more pain and discomfort than before. He only tries to eat about 4 times a day instead of the 6 small meals, and his portions are smaller. And as expected, he is losing weight again. He lays down after most meals now, to settle his stomach. Some days he feels really bad all day.
A dear old friend is flying in from NH for the weekend, and next weekend his brother from TN will be here. This Friday is our 34th wedding anniversary and Sunday is dh's 60th birthday. We didn't have any plans for this weekend, until the upcoming surprise visit from our NH friend.
The firewood project has been completed and he is resting before the next project. He wants to replace the 15 extremely large juniper bushes that shield the house from the road. The township keeps triming the bushes with a side mounted bushhog, which just shreds the bushes and is starting to kill them. It will not be easy getting 25 year old bushes gone. His brother thinks beginning that project is on the docket for his visit next week. I'm hoping for a relaxed weekend.
Here is a photo of our firewood storage.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN2454.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	8428  
Old 08-17-2010, 12:27 PM   #140
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Sending you prayers and good thoughts as always, Beth.

I'll be scarce around here this week as I'm on a road trip up the coast of California from LA to Sonoma, so I'll say Happy Anniversary to you both, and Happy Birthday to DH now....

Cherish these moments. I know you will.