"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Closed Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 08:38 AM   #11
Executive Chef

I am so sorry to hear of Rich's cancer, Beth. My heart goes out to you both.

I must also say how brave and strong it is of Rich to make that decision. Treating cancer is not always the best thing. Quality of life is so very important.

Put us on the backburner until you are ready. We will still be here when you return. Take care.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:15 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks for the update Beth! You know y'all have been in my thoughts and prayers, and will continue to be....God bless and comfort both of you!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Old 12-03-2009, 10:43 AM   #13
Executive Chef

I am so sorry to hear about this. Rich must be one of the greatest people I've heard of to take such tender thoughts about your time after he is gone. Many people wouldn't have that as their major concern, but it shows what a nice and thoughtful person he is. My prayer is that he will be comfortable for a long time and the time you share will be a memorable one. You both are in my prayers also. We never know when life may throw any of us a sharp curve and you both are examples of the best way to accept it.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:56 PM   #14
Everymom

Beth, I'm "sticking" this thread for a bit. I've had a request that we have a spot to send you our good wishes and our prayers. I think this is the best way.

Much love to you and Rich dear friend.
Old 12-11-2009, 04:14 PM   #15
Master Chef

Hi Beth! My thoughts are with you on this Friday. Was your husband able to enjoy the pizza you made?

You always have my prayers.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:58 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Hi Beth,
hope the two of you are having some calm and peaceful days.Know you are in my thoughts and prayers every day.....

cj
Old 12-11-2009, 11:54 PM   #17
Certified Cake Maniac

Beth, I have sent my prayers and thoughts through another thread and FB, but this is the first time I found this thread. Reading what you have gone through makes it all the more real. As Alix says, we are here for you and appreciate your time whenever you can join us. {{{{{{{{{{Beth & Rich}}}}}}}}}}

http://beinglydia.com
Old 12-12-2009, 07:46 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Lots of Love and positive energy flowing into Southern Ohio from Small Town Mississippi this morning!! {{{{{{{{{{Hugs}}}}}}}}}}

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Old 12-13-2009, 09:05 AM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla Bean View Post
Hi Beth! My thoughts are with you on this Friday. Was your husband able to enjoy the pizza you made?

You always have my prayers.
Yes, he enjoyed the pizza. He ended up having 4 slices that day, one slice about every 2 hours. I made a sauted onion and garlic, venison summer sausage, red sauce, and home made mozzarella cheese pizzas. The first three slices went down with no problems. The fourth slice caused a sudden exit from the dinner table in the general direction of the bath room....but he insisted that exit was "normal" and in no way was associated with the pizza. I am making two pizzas more today.

His energy level varies, but he continues with the home improvement projects. We are now hooked up to the rural water company at the house. I do not like the taste of it. The barn still has our own spring water available at the freeze proof hydrant, so I go there daily to get water for drinking, coffee and tea. I still really miss the goats and going to the barn makes me sad.

Three faucetts have been replaced so far; all three on the top floor, which was the bathroom basin and shower, and the kitchen sink. Rich started to build this house in 1986 and finished it the winter of 1994. We moved into the top floor in 1988 which was finished first. One winter project is to repaint the entire interior of the house which has not been repainted at all. In the basement he is replacing the laundry tub/sink and the faucett. Well, since he had to remove the old tub, he decided to start the interior painting project with the laundry room, yesterday, to paint the room since the laundry tub was already out. So we inched the washing machine and dryer out, prepped and taped the room and got the first coat of trim paint applied. Today he is painting the first coat and I will join in later with the second trim coat. I am in the kitchen this morning making pancakes, dinner rolls and two pizzas. He needs quite a bit of looking after. Making sure I have bread products and ice cream in stock, and seeing he sits down every two hours to eat something, giving him his medicines which he has never taken any before, making a tummy soothing tea, making sure he is home when Hospice makes their weekly visit. It looks like we will be able to make the trip to Tennessee for Christmas. He feels so much better now that we have a grip on handling his symptoms better. God bless immodium.

The visits have slowed down a bit which is good. I heard him say several times to people who have stopped by, that he feels like he is hosting his own funeral. We have postponed a few visitors too. It was turning into quite an intrusion on our time together, let alone preventing progress on the projects. Being the perfectionist, he wants to do most of the work himself. A few carefully selected friends have been asked to help with the majority of the interior painting. Friends he can trust to tape the woodwork properly and not apply too much paint close to the tape so the paint is not disturbed when the tape is removed. Did I mention he is a prefectionist?

And I am doing much better with learning the 16 steps to balancing the bank statement. I no longer hyperventilate when we sit down to the computer and the MS Money program. That issue is one reason for the anti-anxiety meds for me.

So we are plugging along and keeping our sense of humor. He has now asked me to get travel sized toiletries for him.

Prayers and good vibes always appreciated...
Old 12-14-2009, 01:22 PM   #20
Master Chef

beth,

I wish you both even more strength you have already shown here... You can be proud to have such a brave ahead-thinking husband..

LiGruess cara ~~~ Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
Closed Thread